Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new guy here with a problem im hopeing you guys can help me with... Got a 04 rincon 650 and had the rear end stripped down regreasing the bushes and that, thought i might aswell charge the battery, but when i went to put the battery back in i stupidly didnt think and stuck the battery in the wrong way round and may have fried something...... now its got no power to the key nothing, as if theres no battery connected even after trying a known good battery on it, it didnt blow any of the fuses but im just wandering did these come with like a diode/fuse sort of thing in the actual battery cable to prevent damage to anything else?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome to the forum, from New Scotland or Nova Scotia. This is a great spot to get answers. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of them, as I am trying to learn Honda's as well. Good luck and don't be shy to post pics of your bike.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Welcome to the forum, hope the weather is as nice up there as it is down here on the south coast!
This is a US based forum so you may have to wait an hour or so for your answer but somebody on here will point you in the right direction. There are many knowledgeable guys on here who will help you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys!! and yeah surprisingly the weathers allright up here, we usually get hit hard with the cold as were open to the elements from the atlantic, nothing but sun last week which is a first for us! :p

Reactions: SamUK

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Welcome to the forums bryanc5712!

Looking at the wiring diagram I see three diodes in the electrical system. The main one seems to be located in the fuse box or thereabouts. I'd look there first for a blown open diode... you can check the diodes with a multimeter. There should be continuity in one direction only if a diode is good. Swap your two meter leads to test for current in both directions. Make sure you disconnect the battery (or unplug the component to be tested from the circuit) before performing any continuity test on the system.

Look for a copy of the FSM HERE if you need one... and have fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi: With the battery connected up -- key switch on -- leave the fuses in place -- use your meter or test light to check the fuses -- you will see a little gray dot on top of each fuse check each gray dot for 12 volt DC -- red meter lead on the dot of the fuse and black meter lead on negative of battery.

Reactions: retro

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome!
This is a great forum/community- hope you stick around after you solve the issue!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot guys! Shall take a look once i dig up my multimeter, aint too clued up when it comes to the electrics of these things but shall give it a bash, hmm i was led to believe there was one in the actual battery cable to protect everything else in case you do something stupid like what i did.... :p but it dosent look like it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts