613 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,481 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Stop stealing my thunder, Shade. It's the only topic where I can give good advice. :)
No worries. I'll take a few more pics tomorrow. If it works, I'll give you the credit! ;)
Thank you, Sir. You're such a gentleman.
BTW, I love the cows. :)
I thought it was a pretty funny pic. It was in Wyoming or Montana. We had to stop.

The sign to the back of them is "Cattle crossing next 5 miles".

REALLY?!?!? THANKS FOR THE INFO! :eek

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So, the credit goes to @GirlsRideToo if this works, and @shadetree for 'splaining it!

Took the advise also. Changing ALL the fluids & filters. Brake fluid looked original!:eek Probably not, but who knows?

First time EVER, I could bleed & flush the brakes by myself! Bonus.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
36,481 Posts
So, the credit goes to @GirlsRideToo if this works, and @shadetree for 'splaining it!

Took the advise also. Changing ALL the fluids & filters. Brake fluid looked original!:eek Probably not, but who knows?

lol, looks like it worked !. very nice !.

·
Registered
613 Posts

Hooray, the pics worked! :)

Changing the fluids and filters let's you know it's done right. There are quite a few stories on the forum about engines being destroyed because the oil filter was put in backwards.

Bleeding the brakes without asking 10 questions on the forum, stripping the screws on the master cylinder and breaking at least one fingernail is monumental. Congrats!!

I'm really curious about the story behind your 300. From the pics, it looks like someone did some restoration recently. The plastics are so nice and shiny, the mud guards are in great shape, the frame and shock, that I can see, appear to have been painted, the racks look great, can't see any rips in the seat and it looks like there's new paint on the rims. If you'd care to share the history I'd love hear it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Changing the fluids and filters let's you know it's done right. There are quite a few stories on the forum about engines being destroyed because the oil filter was put in backwards.

Bleeding the brakes without asking 10 questions on the forum, stripping the screws on the master cylinder and breaking at least one fingernail is monumental. Congrats!!

I'm really curious about the story behind your 300. From the pics, it looks like someone did some restoration recently. The plastics are so nice and shiny, the mud guards are in great shape, the frame and shock, that I can see, appear to have been painted, the racks look great, can't see any rips in the seat and it looks like there's new paint on the rims. If you'd care to share the history I'd love hear it.
Honestly, I found it and bought it. It is a Honda, was made in the USA, and is a 1996. That's about it. Oh, and it is green.

I read a bunch about these TRX300FW's as being great, reliable, bullet proof machines, so that's what I went for.

It may be a rebuild, but I don't think so. But what do I know? Runs good, drives good, looks good. It will be used strictly around the farm for hauling firewood, produce, a quick ride from here to there, etc. If it breaks on me, I can tow it back to the garage with one of the big John Deere's or my pick-up.

Chances are, I'll get another 20 years out of the Goodyears!

That is all the history I can give you.

Oh, and I did break a fingernail! :crying Only the pinky one. I'll be okay!

By the way, I saw something about the lug nuts. DO PEOPLE REALLY PUT THEM ON BACKWARDS?!?! How do you get a socket over the tapered part to put them on backwards?????? :icon_ rofl:

·
Super Moderator
36,481 Posts

Honestly, I found it and bought it. It is a Honda, was made in the USA, and is a 1996. That's about it. Oh, and it is green.

I read a bunch about these TRX300FW's as being great, reliable, bullet proof machines, so that's what I went for.

It may be a rebuild, but I don't think so. But what do I know? Runs good, drives good, looks good. It will be used strictly around the farm for hauling firewood, produce, a quick ride from here to there, etc. If it breaks on me, I can tow it back to the garage with one of the big John Deere's or my pick-up.

By the way, I saw something about the lug nuts. DO PEOPLE REALLY PUT THEM ON BACKWARDS?!?! How do you get a socket over the tapered part to put them on backwards?????? :icon_ rofl:
they may put the rims on backwards ?, but not many that I know of put the lug nuts on backwards ??..lol.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
LOL oh yeah they do. I know people who put lug nuts on backwards, use lock nuts instead of lug nuts, and don’t recognize how to install a directional tire.

About the lack of common sense–common sense has to be grounded in experience–and quite a few people have never used tools.

That’s what’s so great about this forum–a large number of maintainers with wide ranges of knowledge, each sharing their version of common sense with those of us who never looked into a fuel tank, disassembled a carburetor or ripped the top off an engine.

So I’m happy when a new person signs on, wants to fix things right, buys parts without complaining about price, reaches out to help others and puts their ride in for ATV of the Month! e.g. @Wewaman, @Cat Mandoo @Hawire @MrC.
and others

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
LOL oh yeah they do. I know people who put lug nuts on backwards, use lock nuts instead of lug nuts, and don’t recognize how to install a directional tire.

About the lack of common sense–common sense has to be grounded in experience–and quite a few people have never used tools.

That’s what’s so great about this forum–a large number of maintainers with wide ranges of knowledge, each sharing their version of common sense with those of us who never looked into a fuel tank, disassembled a carburetor or ripped the top off an engine.

So I’m happy when a new person signs on, wants to fix things right, buys parts without complaining about price, reaches out to help others and puts their ride in for ATV of the Month! e.g. @Wewaman, @Cat Mandoo @Hawire @MrC.
and others
There are ONLY 2 ways to do anything. The RIGHT way, and MY way! :yeahbaby01:

Seriously...after years of wrenching on cars, I have found that if you are going to make an effort to fix something, at the very least, TRY to do it right.

'Cause chances are, it's going to be a PITA job. And if you have to do it again, because you got lazy, it is even more of a PITA when you have to do it AGAIN! All because you didn't do it right in the first place. Especially if they happen to be a "one time only" part.

My $0.02!

·
Registered
613 Posts

Wow, that was a great find. Seldom do you see these older ATVs in such good shape. I bet the seller was happy that you didn't ask him a lots of questions. You were his dream buyer. LOL

Of course you can put lug nuts on backwards! They go on just fine and look like they're supposed to go on that way. How do I know this? Ummmmm.........

I think I'm goin to Katmandu.......that's really really where I'm going to...
I can't get that song out of my head. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

Wow, that was a great find. Seldom do you see these older ATVs in such good shape. I bet the seller was happy that you didn't ask him a lots of questions. You were his dream buyer. LOL

Of course you can put lug nuts on backwards! They go on just fine and look like they're supposed to go on that way. How do I know this? Ummmmm.........

Yeah. He saw me coming! :eek There is a sucker born every minute, and why shouldn't/couldn't/wouldn't it be me?

Hey, I'm just doing my part to keep the economy moving and strong. Plus, I went to the Honda dealer and bought oils, a filter, o rings etc...

I also bought a factory repair manual off of eBay. I'm going to buy a utility cart for it. And of course, all that ethanol free gas that I am willing to pay an extra $0.50/per gallon for so I don't have to mess with the carb like I had to for years on ALL my other power equipment before the gas station went to non-ethanol.

All those replacement carbs get expensive after a while, especially the old Briggs & Kohler's if you can find them!!!

Just doing my part!

I am AMAZING! :yeahbaby01:

·
Premium Member
12,367 Posts
non-ethanal is a good decision , if were two dollars more per gallon I would still get it ------ something you are missing , a battery maintainer is a good investment , will make the battery last longer , have more reserve and it will always be ready to fire up

·
Super Moderator
36,481 Posts

you know I just gotta ask !!..lol, ummmm..seeing how I know you could or did put the lug nuts on backwards ?..i'm guessing you just put them on backwards by hand ?, becauseeeeeeeeee..if you try to put an impact socket on them ?, you can't do this because of the way they are flared ?, sooooo..i'm just guessing it was just by hand ?. yes..this can be done, but not very tight !...lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

you know I just gotta ask !!..lol, ummmm..seeing how I know you could or did put the lug nuts on backwards ?..i'm guessing you just put them on backwards by hand ?, becauseeeeeeeeee..if you try to put an impact socket on them ?, you can't do this because of the way they are flared ?, sooooo..i'm just guessing it was just by hand ?. yes..this can be done, but not very tight !...lol.
I actually own a large assortment of 6 point impact sockets, and one 17mm round impact socket for just such a purpose. It works pretty good. $1.99 at Harbor Freight. It only works for installing tapered lug nuts backwards. Who'd a thunk there'd be a market for such a thing? Works good. Worth every penny!

Page 11-7 in the "official" repair manual tells you how to properly install the nuts with the "curved side facing inwards".

Who pays attention to details like that? It's my ATV. Right or wrong, I'll install MY lug nuts any way I want to!

:icon_ rasta:

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
non-ethanal is a good decision , if were two dollars more per gallon I would still get it ------ something you are missing , a battery maintainer is a good investment , will make the battery last longer , have more reserve and it will always be ready to fire up
yeah till you get a bad maintainer and it goes nuts and fry's a whole bunch of electrical things, ASK me how I know this LOL

·
Premium Member
12,367 Posts
I got 10 maintainers running right now and really need about 3 more , I have had them conk out , but never do damage to what ever it was hooked to --- I can buy 3 maintainers for the cost of one good battery , since using tenders I have not been buying as many batteries

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
I got 10 maintainers running right now and really need about 3 more , I have had them conk out , but never do damage to what ever it was hooked to --- I can buy 3 maintainers for the cost of one good battery , since using tenders I have not been buying as many batteries
got any solar ones. i got a 6v solar for the lectric fence, i dont see why it cant be converted to 12v.
it did cost a c-note, but i aint using it at the moment.
it takes a certain kind of skill, to install lug nuts backwards. i wont elaborate.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts