Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Just got a 2000 400ex for my first quad. I have a problem and was hoping someone on the forum might have had the same problem.

I was removing the muffler and header pipe so i could polish them. Well I must have been he man and broke the nut off the exhaust stud.

Now heres my question, what is the best way to remove the stud? I really dont want to pull the motor unless I have to.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
How much is sticking through where you could grab it? Welcome 2 the forums btw and im from ohio 2!

·
Registered
383 Posts
get a little pipe wrench if theres enough or some lockable pliers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
welcome,:icon_ rocker:

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Agree^^^^^^ and if all elts fails a drill and tap set!:D

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
If there's enough threads left on the stud, you can double nut it and turn it out by turning the back nut with a wrench. If there's not enough threads, then you may have to use a small pair of vise grips if you can get them in there to get a hold of it. You will have to clamp the vise grips really tight. If that won't work, you may be able to weld a nut on the end of the stud. If none of these things works, then I don't know what to tell you.

By the way, if you get the stud out, before you put the new one back in, coat it with anti-seize and you shouldn't have that problem anymore.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If there's enough threads left on the stud, you can double nut it and turn it out by turning the back nut with a wrench. If there's not enough threads, then you may have to use a small pair of vise grips if you can get them in there to get a hold of it. You will have to clamp the vise grips really tight. If that won't work, you may be able to weld a nut on the end of the stud. If none of these things works, then I don't know what to tell you.

By the way, if you get the stud out, before you put the new one back in, coat it with anti-seize and you shouldn't have that problem anymore.
The Double nut didnt work. I was hoping it did but i didnt have enough threads left to get two nuts on their.

Ive been trying with the vice grips the last two days.

Ive thought to weld a nut on their but one problem. I dont have a welder...lol.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Well I was gonna tell you to weld a nut to it but if you don't have a welder.Sorry bud.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Did you try spraying PB blaster on it several times letting it soak?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Wow thats siezed up.You may have to have a machine shop remove it.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Good luck bro.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
wow welcome to the forum good luck with that :icon_ devil:
Thanks

Well I was gonna tell you to weld a nut to it but if you don't have a welder.Sorry bud.
Yeah I know im running out of ideas.

Im wondering if heating the around the stud would help. The only thing im worried about the jug being aluminum
You might try heating the stud and letting it cool down. It may expand and contract and break loose.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I would have thought that PB blaster would work - might have to give it more time. Heating and cooling might speed the process like helmut said

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You might try heating the stud and letting it cool down. It may expand and contract and break loose.
I Talked to one of the maintenance guys at work, and he said to heat around the stud an be careful not to get it to hot cuz it would strip out or something like that.

Im going to go out and buy a torch today and will try it out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts