Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Ordered a new carb for my 96 Fourtrax 300.
Installed it and I can get the engine to start and it idles ok, but the drain line at the bottom of the carb is draining out a ridiculous amount of gas.

I feel lik eI may have missed something easy, or there is something wrong with the carb itself.

Any ideas??

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Is the flat tip bowl drain screw tight? If it is i would say the float is sticking. Sometimes a light tap of the screw driver handle will get it to un stick. Since its brand new i wouldnt think there is anything gumming it up. Probably just wedged in a weird spot from being shook around in shipping.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
Is the flat tip bowl drain screw tight? If it is i would say the float is sticking. Sometimes a light tap of the screw driver handle will get it to un stick. Since its brand new i wouldnt think there is anything gumming it up. Probably just wedged in a weird spot from being shook around in shipping.
or something from the fuel tank has made it's way to the float needle, making it stick open ?!.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
Hello all,

Ordered a new carb for my 96 Fourtrax 300.
Installed it and I can get the engine to start and it idles ok, but the drain line at the bottom of the carb is draining out a ridiculous amount of gas.

I feel lik eI may have missed something easy, or there is something wrong with the carb itself.

Any ideas??
fuel tank spotless ?, anything can wedge in between the float needle and seat to cause the fuel not to shut off ?!... a good inline fuel filter never hurts !.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
could also be a cheap junk aftermarket carb too?
yeah, I wish members would state if they bought oem carb ?, or some stupid cheap china knock-off carb ?, then we could narrow it down better !..lol.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tank is a little gunky, we ran clean gas through it until it was only draining "clean" gas.
Also it was doing the same thing before I hooked up the tank, and ran gas from a funnel.

I'll check the needle.
I didn't do any adjustments before I installed it, and it didn't come with any instructions.

Thanks for all your help guys.
This project is getting close to the end, so I appreciate the knowledge.

Have a good one

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Had this issue myself but on an old carb.
I ended up having to polish the port where the float needle sits. I used cottons buds and toothpaste then flushed out with carb cleaner. It did the trick and I haven't had an issue since. I also used copier paper and oil to polish the pin that the float pivots on, probably wasn't necessary but I did it anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.