Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I KNOW my starter works, although its very very old

1983 Big red 200.

So the new battery charged all nioght, reads 13.65.
However the4 darn thing WONT start

(It just clicks the solenoid) The solenoid is BRAND new.
I did put a screw driver accost the solenoid and the starter whirled in a low kind of way and not nearly enough "Poop" to start the machine.

1. Starter im sure will start with a different battery and im about to test that.

The light is BRIGHT!

Hmm, dang!!!!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Just for grins, hold the starter button so you hear the clicking. Tap on the starter with a screwdriver while holding the button. Does the starter turn? The 86 350 I'm working on has this issue. Starter works sometimes and not others. I have a rebuild kit on the way.

Rob

·
Registered
613 Posts
The solenoid should do just as well if not better than a screwdriver across the bolts, if it just clicks and nothing you probably have a solenoid that is bad. The slow whirring of your starter indicates it needs a teardown and maybe rebrush and/or bushings. Had a 250 Big Red and everything was good except the bushings were worn out enough to allow the armature to touch the magnets, took a while to find a local machine shop willing to make a couple bushings but they did it for 20 bucks. I have seen starters on ebay for cheap but not sure if I trust them...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
o man, working on this old big red is chasing ghosts! Iv not spent that much on it but its always this or that.
Not bad for a $200 bike that has now $350 into it...

did any one have a line on a rebuild kit 82 or 83 200 no reverse with chain drive. thanks.

I also read that a lead on the solenoid might be old, that is the reason you hear the "Click" but it has no way to reach the starter.
I dunnos.

·
Registered
613 Posts
But if the starter turns when you jump the solenoid with a screwdriver that would eliminate the wires

try jumper cables directly to the starter and if it cranks fine the problem will be between tight connections and a bad solenoid - if it clicks when you press the start button. You could try and tap the solenoid as you press the button

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had this problem. Check all grounds first. The ground to the engine on mine was covered with paint. I used a wire brush and haven't had a problem since.

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Not all new batteries are good batteries. Likewise, if you left a charger on a powersports battery all night, it easily could have damaged the battery.
While the voltage is good, the battery might not be able to deliver the needed current.

The easy way to tell if your battery is the culprit or not is to try jump starting your atv from a known good battery, such as your car battery. If the car battery starts your engine, then you need a new battery.

Note: A battery charger should not be left on a battery for much more than a couple of hours, and the battery should be charged at the lowest charging rate (to prevent damage). The best way to charge, and maintain a battery is with a battery Maintainer, such as a Battery Tender. It may take up to 24 hours to completely charge the battery, but a Battery Maintainer will not overcharge a battery. Likewise, a Battery Maintainer should be kept on your battery whenever you aren't using the machine. It will actually extend the life of a battery.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kentko, I used a battery Maintainer with a CPU and automatic cut off (red light and green light) Left on all night.
Im going to take everything out (Battery clean and check all wires)

This is a battery from Oriilies auto "Super start" I had one last year and it was just fine.

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Jay, Sounds perfect. You're on the right track.

Do try jump starting it from your car battery and see what happens.
Good luck sir.

·
Registered
862 Posts
My old big bear used to eat solenoids and I actually got one from yamaha that did not work from the first time I hooked it up. They always did the same thing, just clicked when you hit the button.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi, fast forward a year... I replaced the battery and there were a few shorts so I worked on that.

I jumped the silinoid to see if it was that, it sparked and turned over a few times.I can jump the silinoid now and it turns over fine.

Did I just cook my silinoid? thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
Hi, fast forward a year... I replaced the battery and there were a few shorts so I worked on that.

I jumped the silinoid to see if it was that, it sparked and turned over a few times.I can jump the silinoid now and it turns over fine.

Did I just cook my silinoid? thanks again!
nope..you did not cook your starter solenoid, but it needs to be replaced.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
chadiousMAX
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing