Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could buy a new ATV which would it be and why?

I'm currently looking at TRX500's for more power and the rear end.

Reactions: hodge5

·
Registered
381 Posts
Rincon, for all of the abuse it's taken over the years regarding its lack of features and power, it's still one of the best machines on the market today

·
Registered
324 Posts
A Yamaha Kodiak 700. While I appreciate Honda's, I do not care much for the aesthetics of the current models. Yamaha makes good stuff, and the Kodiak is a nice looking ATV.

Saying that, I think the 300 is one of the best looking ATV's ever made. I also really like the 350D- I found this stock photo, and saved it, to drool over...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I'm more of a sport quad guy. I guess if I could buy a new quad it would be the YFZ450R just because it's really the only performance sport quad that has been updated recently. The sport quad market has taken a beating over the last few years.

Rob

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I'm more of a sport quad guy. I guess if I could buy a new quad it would be the YFZ450R just because it's really the only performance sport quad that has been updated recently. The sport quad market has taken a beating over the last few years.

Rob

I'd have to agree with Rob, I am a die hard honda guy, but i'm really liking the look and the power of the new YFZ450r. Also blue is my favorite color. lol:funnyhonda:

Cameron

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
would have to ask what am I buying a NEW atv for?
for work, it would be a honda
for some more FUN sporty riding and logging in a LOT of miles a yr, I think it would be a Yamaha
pure crazy HP< be a CAN AM 1k Like Mac here has!
looks mean and has to have get up and go in spades LOL

but sadly I ain't buying any any time soon
just don't ride enough to justify a new one! the old foreman still does all I ask and runs like a champ!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I rode my 99 300FW since new. Purchased my 16' Rubicon 4mths ago. With all the research I've done. Test rode many different wheelers, including a Griz and a 570 Can-Am and if I had to go buy another new machine, I would buy the Rubicon all over again. Rides nice, ergonomically it fits like a glove. Goes anywhere any of the other manufacturers will go in the woods. YES wide open all the manufactures will leave you behind. Power wise, it's not going to rip your arms off the bars but it's def more than my ole 300 lol. I would take a look at the Rincon if all you do is mainly trail ride. But if you want speed, look at another manufacturer. The Griz I rode I didn't find as comfortable as the Honda. Power was good and you can't deny Yamaha's reliability. If you want power look at the Can-Am 1k.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, quite a mixed response..

The only reason I'm looking at hondas is the parts availability in the UK, there are Yamaha and can-am dealers but second hand parts are few and far between.
I'd love a can-am similar to yours though Mac I must admit!

Am I right in saying can-ams can be troublesome?
Also, what mods are easily achievable with a trx500? I'd want bigger tyres for a start, probably 27's, would a stock 500 spin that size tyre?

There's a lot to take into consideration before dedicating to a purchase as ATV's here aren't cheap when buying new or nearly new.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts

The only reason I'm looking at hondas is the parts availability in the UK, there are Yamaha and can-am dealers but second hand parts are few and far between.

Also, what mods are easily achievable with a trx500? I'd want bigger tyres for a start, probably 27's, would a stock 500 spin that size tyre?

There's a lot to take into consideration before dedicating to a purchase as ATV's here aren't cheap when buying new or nearly new.

They can be, depends on how they are used.

500 Foreman/Rubicon will fit and spin 27's no problem, even a lighter 28 should be OK. Lots of mods for the 500's out there. As long as you don't intend on going into the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I agree with MAC, a 500 should spin 27's
and there are always GR for thjem too if needed

but don't get your hopes up, that you will ever make a HONDA into a BIG HP atv, that just will never happen you MIGHT get a couple extra with a bunch of cash, but thats it~

there more the turtle, than the hare
they will get you there, just take longer to do so!

·
Registered
559 Posts
I think if I were able to just go out and buy something new, It would be a Raptor 700.

I LOOOOVE my 400EX, it just need's a little more grunt.

A YFZ450 would be on the list, but I don't like the thought of having to do all that extra maintenance, especially after owning a bulletproof bike like the EX.

Something with more power and relatively low maintenance would be ideal for me.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

They can be, depends on how they are used.

500 Foreman/Rubicon will fit and spin 27's no problem, even a lighter 28 should be OK. Lots of mods for the 500's out there. As long as you don't intend on going into the motor.

Okay, so power wise it is what it is and that's it basically? How about a Gear reduction, is that possible for the 500's?
Starting to realise if you want power it's a Can-Am or a Yam, if you want a long lived ATV it's Honda!

Re Raptor 700, a friend of mine had one road legal, I had a go on several occasions, it was a suicide ride on the road, in fact, that fast that it wouldn't corner! Then trying to stop the damn thing is another story!
Great fun though.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
The yamahas are underpowered too, Polaris and Can-am are #1, the Raptor has a similar motor to the Grizzly, just gear drive, 1000R Can-am has about double the HP and double the weight too lol. Yamaha and Suzuki are kind of that middle ground between power and reliability, I'd have no problem buying either.

500 Honda you can add a little bit with aftermarket exhaust and tuner but not much. There are several GR's available up to I think 69% but maybe even more. There is no reason you couldn't run a 5" lift and 34's if that's what floats your boat.

·
Registered
194 Posts
What I did, recently.

...............................................................................................
Hi SAM,
I am a through and through Honda guy, 8 total (7 cycles) and all worked well and hold up.

Yamaha does make great stuff, agree and all the MFG's have tinkered for more horsepower. I read all the time where a Honda Foreman pulled the other brand out of what ever mess it was stuck in. I plan to drag stuff around with mine maybe tow a little bit and flying isn't important. If I needed 50 or more HP I would buy a Yamaha. I don't.

I bought a 2013 Honda Foreman ES ESP, new. (great price) I'm very satisfied with it. It used to be said of Honda, the number one selling motorcycle in the world is a Honda. The number 2 best selling motorcycle in the world is a used Honda.This is a testimony to parts availability on the used market. Cheers and enjoy what ever you buy!

·
Registered
170 Posts
The yamahas are underpowered too, Polaris and Can-am are #1, the Raptor has a similar motor to the Grizzly, just gear drive, 1000R Can-am has about double the HP and double the weight too lol. Yamaha and Suzuki are kind of that middle ground between power and reliability, I'd have no problem buying either.
X2 on what Mac said.

In my experience most reliable any foot shift honda. Highest HP Can-Am & Popo. The rest are a good mix of both. I didn't feel the Grizz was a huge step up in power. Good machine but not a powerhouse from what I was expecting. They problem with deciding which one to buy is because they are all pretty good. They all have their issues and quirks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I really like the new Yamahas, sharp machines but I'd probably go with a polaris. I think Polaris builds the best all around machine. They have become very reliable and they are the power leader of every segment.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I think I'd rather the 700XX over a Raptor, but thats just me. Rather keep it Honda lol. Either way I doubt a raptor or 700XX would touch a Rene 1KR with the speed limiter removed and some clutch work done....that's just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts