Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting another ATV which will be used like my Rancher 75 percent work and 25 percent trail. I have enjoyed my Rancher and have looked at all the models and curious thoughts on a second one and/or replace it with what? Thankfully the money is less of a concern but not interested in tossing dollars away unnecessarily so all comments welcome. I have even looked at a Grizzly and struggling with the belt concept but know from all the reviews they are the real deal so I'm stumped.

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I'd go for the 500 foreman myself, best bang for buck on the market and, as we all know, probably the best workhorse on the market (notice I said 'probably'!). Of course that's my personal choice, in the UK Yamaha parts are expensive and not as easily available as Honda, assuming this isn't the case in the USA.

Edit: If parts were a easily available I'd have no issue buying a Yamaha, I do like them as do many others. I had a 225 Moto 4 when I was in my teens, that thing seemed to be bullet proof!

· Premium Member
5,960 Posts
If money was no object for me, I would buy up a few old TRX300FW bikes and rebuild/refurbish at least one of them, returning it/them to better than new condition with a 424 kit, a 350D rearend, 250ES cam, oil cooler & fan etc., and keep them up and running for the rest of my life!

Rubber bands are inefficient scams... stay away from those cheap CVTs and get a reliable manual shift. Belts are for holding your pants up... If you do decide on a CVT, get a big motor with it and don't ever get it hot.

If you are going to buy an ATV, buy something that you will actually OWN and CONTROL outright. No electronic control prisons... run by the corporation to exploit you out your money and force you into being their subscriber dependent. Common sense, in my mind, suggests kicking them all to the curb and buying proven products that you can maintain and repair yourself.

Would you buy a new car if it has the hood welded shut? :)

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
best bang for the buck ?, i'd say either the trx450fm, or the trx500fm, or rebuild an old trx300fw, any of these are solid money in the long run. my only concern with the trx500fm's ?, is that stupid design flaw on the oil drain threads ?!, they break off a lot it seems.

Reactions: _Wilson_

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
best bang for the buck ?, i'd say either the trx450fm, or the trx500fm, or rebuild an old trx300fw, any of these are solid money in the long run. my only concern with the trx500fm's ?, is that stupid design flaw on the oil drain threads ?!, they break off a lot it seems.
I'm surprised nobody has made a permanent nursert adapter a little more robust for the oil drain plugs, simply screw it in with thread lock and the problem is solved.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has made a permanent nursert adapter a little more robust for the oil drain plugs, simply screw it in with thread lock and the problem is solved.
or ?..Honda could fix the stupid design flaw huh ?..lol. I spoke to my bud at my local Honda dealership, head mechanic for over 20 years now, he himself told me yes, it's a very bad design flaw on Hondas part !!.

· Registered
7,087 Posts
I assume 20 year old antiquated Foreman's and 300FW's are out since you said NEW ATV's and you already have a newer Rancher....

Grizzly is the best all around quad for the money. Suzuki KQ is good too but they have a smaller dealer network and I wouldn't be shocked if they ended ATV production before too long.

IF your stuck on Honda, the Rubicon really is the only thing they make worth buying as a play ATV, if your work lends itself more towards something with a solid axle, just buy the Foreman. Obviously go footshift, not ES, and get the power steering lol

· Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I'm considering getting another ATV which will be used like my Rancher 75 percent work and 25 percent trail. I have enjoyed my Rancher and have looked at all the models and curious thoughts on a second one and/or replace it with what? Thankfully the money is less of a concern but not interested in tossing dollars away unnecessarily so all comments welcome. I have even looked at a Grizzly and struggling with the belt concept but know from all the reviews they are the real deal so I'm stumped.
Nothing to struggle with and yamaha's belt setup. I changed my belt at 5k miles and it looked mint, i only changed it cause I had it apart. :wink

· Registered
708 Posts
All I can do is tell you the "if it were me."

I have pretty much convinced myself to stay away from Polaris and Can Am.

I think the Suzuki King Quad 500 offers a TON of value for the money these days when you spend time looking at it, which I have. I also have friends with the old Vinson 500, and I can tell that the King Quad 500 is a proven platform. Compared to the Foreman 500, this one has independent susp, more horsepower, and low range in the transmission, plus higher fuel cap and tow cap.

I too have noticed the Grizzly/Kodiak. If I were in your shoes I'd be looking for front differential lock, which rules out most of the Kodiak Models, unless you're looking at 2018. I do believe Yamaha has the best belt design in the industry, where it keeps the belt held all the time and uses a centrifugal clutch. I think this one looks the most powerful and the rowdiest.

Honda-wise, I have been in love with the Foreman 500. I would buy a 2016 Foreman 500, with foot shift (they stopped the foot-shift/EPS version after 2016 when they simplified all their line-ups.) I would LOVE to own a 2016 Foreman 500 TRX500FM2 (there are still lots of new ones out there at dealers, with discounts) because it's so similar to my Rancher, but includes:
1. Third headlight.
2. Enhanced front bumper.
3. More CC's, similar power-to-weight ratio of the Rancher.
4. 25" tires, vs 24" on the Rancher.
5. Front diff lock.
6. More suspension travel and ground clearance than the Rancher.
7. Auxiliary power outlet.
8. Additional on-board storage with fender compartment.

And just LOVE that classic Honda Foreman look/feel/formula that is still there.

· Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone on the comments. I will look into the Foreman and Foreman-Rubicon as well as the Grizzly. I will also look at the Suzuki but a tad nervous of the lack of public support, i.e., very few running around these parts. I will likely pick up a 300 as well and hopefully get someone of Shades caliber to redo it to original condition for vintage purposes as well as a Honda Big Red three wheeler. I will be do some browsing this week and look forward to the shopping experience. ?

· Premium Member
12,712 Posts
... there isn't many "New" atv's I would be interested in having , the Kodiak Special Edition 700 is one I would have , it is the only "New" atv that rides with us that has never broke anything yet --------- yesterday the Can-Am 570 display screen went out and it went into limp mode or such , when ever his brake light was on , the motor wouldn't rev up , guess he is looking at another 8 weeks in the shop for warranty

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.