Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2022 420 EPS DCT and IRS. My left rear outside axle boot let go and the joint went bad. Axles are on backorder from Honda. They also say the 2022 axle part number changed from the 2021 so I have to use the 2022. They cannot find an aftermarket one either. I have a big trail riding trip in 3 weeks and need to get this thing going. Does anyone know what change from the 2021 to the 2022 axle? Any ideas how to get this resolved?

Thanks
Indy

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
519 Posts
If you change the whole axle to an aftermarket one they're the same back to 2015. There's dirt cheap ones on amazon and ebay and heavy duty all balls 8 ball for a few more bucks. Then the super beefy demon hd axles if you have a lift and big tires, these arent needed for stock like tires tho.

Honda changed the outer joint and boot every year since 2020 for some reason so oem part numbers are different from year to year but the whole axle from a 2015 fits a 2022.

I ordered a rear 2019 axle for my 2020 rubicon as 2020's werent listed in the parts catalog, it fits fine. I have a heavy duty all balls 8 ball on one side and a demon hd on the other.

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
519 Posts
There's no issues running different brand axles on one side of the atv.
I wanted 2 demon hd axles but could only get one so I have the next best thing the all balls 8 ball on the other side.

I had a hell of a time getting the left side rear axle out but the right side popped right out.
I did the left side first I clamped a 10 pound slide hammer to the axle with a 2 3/4 or 3 inch muffler clamp and got it out that way, I put a drift on the right side and barley tapped it and it came out, I should've did that side first.

Hindsight being 20/20 I'd try to remove both axles, if one comes out hard try the other, once you get one out you can drive the other out with a drift easily.
Use lots of grease on the splines, they rust into the diff pretty bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts