Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a set of 300 ex shocks on ebay for 40 bucks for the complete set :laugh: and put them on the fourtrax !! I had to make a bushings for the rear shock so I could use the factory bolts but other than that its a direct fit and lifts the bike about a inch and it rides a lot better in the woods!! I would recommend the upgrade to anyone with a the 300fw!! Here is a few pics!

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Larry, can you give me some more details about the shock swap? What kind/size bushings did you put on the rear? The front's bolted right up? Does it matter what year 300fw or 300ex shocks?

[Edit: I just realized you put the whole set of 300ex on it]

That thing looks gnarly! :rating10:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Your not going to believe me, but on the back I used some empty 30.-06 brass shell casings and cut the ends of them off and used them for the bushings and they worked great!! One shell per shock bolt lol!!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
They don't bottom out much? I may get these instead of HL springs. Wonder if I can put them on top of a 2 inch bracket lift that isn't true 2 inches

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nope they are actually a little stiffer but have more travel!! I have the front shocks 2 setting up from the softest and the rear I have soft as it can go!! The old shocks were like brand new but in the rough woods riding they would be pretty brutal on the body!! These take the bumps and rocky terrain a lot better!! I think you would be fine with a bracket lift with these, a least in the front, it didn't put much of a angle on the CVs shafts at all!! But the back might be a little steeper angle so you would have to be careful with a two inch on the back!! The front 300ex shocks are actually about a quarter inch shorter than the factory shocks but when the load of the machine is on them they don't sag with the weight of the bike on them like the factory ones do so it actually lifts or keeps the front up higher!! Plus I can crank the tension if I wanted and gain another inch on the front but then it would ride like a tank!!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kenda Executioners are the tires, itp D hole steel rims, and they ride good on flat ground if your going faster than 5 mph lol!! Basically I bought them for slow woods riding, up over rocks, trees, mud, ect they are pretty much a tractor tire. I don't really recommend these tires if your just going to run roads 70% of the time!! And they are heavy for the little 300 but I don't think you could poke a hole in them if you shot them with a gun lol!! If you have the money there are lighter and better tires out there like Mud zillas !!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old question unanswered in Old Thread

Can anyone tell me if this conversion will work on the 1988-1992 Fourtrax TRX300FW? And if so, what year EX shocks are applicable?

This would solve a hurdle that's perplexed me for a while now.

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts