Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Post a picture. I'll add a picture of what I did if I can find one, but basically you drill holes along the crack about 3/8 - 1/2 inch from the crack on either side, then you use tie wraps to pull the crack together. It looks like Frankenstiens neck, but it works great.

Here's a pic:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
You can try Plastic weld it looks like a soldering iron and there are plastic welding rods that go with it. bodyshops use it for repairing cracks in bumpers when people don't want to spend a ton of money fixing their cars. But doubt it will hold for long, of you can drill holes down each side of the crack and zip tie in an "XXXXXXXX" pattern looks a bit Frankenstein but it works me rear is like that. good luck.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Notice in the pic I posted up that I drilled a hole at the end of the crack, to prevent it from spreading further.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, like Pain said, drill a hole at the end of the crack so it won't split further. Make sure you get the hole right at the very end of the crack.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
that plastic weld works great we fix my cuz front fender with it and it holds up great to winde and crashing to lol

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I never tried it but I heard it works good.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
yah cuz did a wheelie on his 660r crashed broke the finder off so we shaved both of them and one once missen a peice so we use plastic weld on it and it holds up and the shaved finders look good on his 660r

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
you can try the old school way..with zip ties...or do the rivet and tin method...with a piece of tin..big enough to cover the crack..drill some small holes with the drill bit the same size as the rivets..from under side..where the tin is..drill through that..through the plastic..place the rivet from the topside..down through the plastic..through the tin...crimp the rivet from the topside..while holding the tin from the other side..crimp it tight..this just leaves a small rivet head showing on the plastic..not as nearly ugly looking.< but..the zip tie does hold if your not worried about looks >..or..you can do what i do..i use some super glue..it's called gorilla glue..and..so far..it has been working really good on plastic..sooo..try which ever way you feal best at doing :)

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
yah zip ties work great thats was held my dads old 3 wjeeler to gather befor we sold it it zip ties AND RIBETS

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
yah zip ties work great thats was held my dads old 3 wjeeler to gather befor we sold it it zip ties AND RIBETS

RIBETS????? I can see it now: a bunch of little tree frogs holding the crack together...LMAO RIVETS!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
hahaha sorry

·
Registered
2,735 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
lol that's funny!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have friend that runs a body shop he plastic weld bumpers all the time & then uses a fibergalss patch under them to give them more support, no come backs in three years.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ok how do you suppose i go about doctoring this up it was hidden under some graphics and is uuuuugly thought about body filler but not sure how it would hold

1 - 20 of 21 Posts