Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 honda foreman 500. I have a new winch instalation in progress that is going ok. However I've reached a snag; I'm finding it difficult to find a good place to hook up the small red power wire from the thumb switch that controls the winch. The instructions recomend going to the back of the key switch. I really don't want to dissasemble the whole dash assembley to do that. Can anyone tell me a more easily accessable power scource than inside the dash? I'd preffer if I didn't have to cut into or "splice" into another wire. Perhaps there is somewhere I can just add my hot wire for the switch? Please help !
Thanks, Stuggling here in Michigan

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I agree I wouldn't go messing with the wiring bundle. Answer this question. Is there a really big wire that runs back to the battery for power to the winch, and then a smaller wire that they want you to splice into the wiring harness after the assessory switch, so it will only be controlled when the bike is running?

If that is what you mean, then if it were me, I'd run another smaller wire from the battery for this control circuit, and I'd put a switch in the tool box or the glove box to control it. That way, you could reach into the tool box or glove box to turn on the control circuit of the winch, and then use the winch button to control the winch. I know it seems counter intiuitive to do that, but think about it, you aren't going to need your winch anyway unless you actually need it. So, putting a "hidden" switch on it won't make any difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"and then a smaller wire that they want you to splice into the wiring harness after the assessory switch, so it will only be controlled when the bike is running?"

Yes, exactly

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Get another smaller wire, 16-18 gauge, and run it to the battery and up to the switch. If it were me, I'd put a second switch in that new wire so you can turn it off. Put the switch under the seat where the battery is, or in the tool box, or in the glove box, where you feel comfortable putting it. If you are going to run the wire more than a few feet before you reach the swtich, then also put a fuse in it, like 10 amps is plenty. That is just a safety net.

That's what I would do. All this means is that you will be able to use the winch when the machine is turned off, but that's not a big deal. Just leave the bike running when you are using your winch. Problem solved.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Pain, Thats a very good idea. I looked it over and I think I'll do as you suggested. I guess I'll have to get a few more supplies tomarrow. Maybe I'll have it done for the week-end.
Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I completely agree with pain. I would put a remote switch in as well and not worry about screwing around with the wiring harness just make shure you install a fuse in line incase a problem presents itself.

Or you could just slap one of these babies on the bars and call it good.

Welcome to the forums!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
BTW when I worked in a Honda shop(2005), they always tapped into a pink wire coming from the ign switch. it was "key on power" only and you can tap in with one of those little blue connectors down under the fender. Check a schematic and I'm sure you can find what color for sure on later models.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts