Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i need all the help i can get. I just bought myself a 2003 TRX-300-EX that i know very lettle about. I know that he had put a stroker piston and has been bored...but i dont know how much. It has a raching clutch and new sprokets and chain. It had FMF header and silencer.he wrecked it and busted alot of the plastics and the silencer...i still have the header on it. It run;s excellent and is fast...but i want it as maxed out as it can be.....what are all the things i can do to get the most performance and speed outta this bad boy????Thanks for all the help! Im clueless with this 4 stroke.

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
i wouldnt put much money into a 300 i had one and it was a great beginner bike then a few months later i rode my buddys 450r and had to git rid of it because it was 2 slow and not very powerful in comparision if u want speed and power get rid of the 300 and get a 450 or at least a 400 you will be glad u did

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I'm fairly new to riding (38 years old and wondering why I spent my life without ATV's with a family of 5 boys), anyway I used to ride my in-laws '07 TRX300EX and thought it was fast. I bought my 16 year old son a TRX450 for Xmas, and rode it and wow! So we were visiting the in-laws and I jumped on the 300ex and rode a long stretch of trail and when I got it up to top speed, I tried shifting again...lol It wasn't fast enough!! I needed one more gear. :)

That being said, for an old guy like me, or even my 16 year old, I would have preferred the 300EX. The 450 is just too big for me now. And I actually enjoy the 300 and my 13 year old's TRX250EX on tight tracks. The 450 is a beast, and hard for a beginner to handle it. I notice that it is very hard to pop the clutch and get going, that thing just takes off like a bolt of lightning! Just my opinion.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i agree for a starter bike to go with a 300 but after about 4-6 months u outgrow them and almost have to go bigger

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
well its not my starter quad but i def love the dang thing. dont think i can bring myself to get rid of it. I have been on bigger and i love the speed. being as someone who also loves crotch rockets and have one of those as well.....i love speed!!!lol I dont plan on actually getting rid of the 300 i have a son i intend on handing it down too when he is ready. I will upgrade to something bigger soon. im already lookin at a 400 but want to get the 300 as maxed as i can so its ready for my boy to ride one day. thanks everyone for all the suggestion it has been a big help.oh also i have someone wanting to trade me a yfz450 for a 50cc dirtbike that was my sons....it has a cracked crankcase but other then that it was just rebuilt with all pro yamaha stuff...what ya think good trade??? ride on!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
oh also i have someone wanting to trade me a yfz450 for a 50cc dirtbike that was my sons....it has a cracked crankcase but other then that it was just rebuilt with all pro yamaha stuff...what ya think good trade??? ride on!
I hope you are good with these ATV's engines. I believe that means a complete disassembly and put it all together again? I would need all the kings horses and all the kings men... Good Luck with that one!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh i wont be doing the work lol. I will have someone else do it. I was just figuring...i got the dirtbike for free....so might as weel get a beast ass atv for free...see what i mean lol.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I hear ya! Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
I would go for the trade, If nothing else, part out the YFZ and get some free money.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm fairly new to riding (38 years old and wondering why I spent my life without ATV's with a family of 5 boys), anyway I used to ride my in-laws '07 TRX300EX and thought it was fast. I bought my 16 year old son a TRX450 for Xmas, and rode it and wow! So we were visiting the in-laws and I jumped on the 300ex and rode a long stretch of trail and when I got it up to top speed, I tried shifting again...lol It wasn't fast enough!! I needed one more gear. :)
I didn't start riding till I was 59. I was visiting a friend in Washington and tried his quad out (450r) and his 15yo daughter's 250ex. I was hooked. When I got back, I went out and bought a 300ex... But after a few months I too wanted more speed. I traded my 300ex in on my current quad... 700xx. BTW, my friend also has the 700xx now and his daughter now rides the 450r... Her 250ex got passed down to her little sister (12yo). I'm 62 now and love the speed of my 700xx. My point is that no matter what you do to the 300ex, you'll soon want more.

roadkill

·
Registered
78 Posts
them yfz's are crazy fast! Who would be riding that one? haha

·
Registered
280 Posts
i did up a 300ex cuz a friend said they were as fast as a blaster...man what a lie. i knew nothing about quads, i road 3wheelers and dirtbike. after i bought my g/f a blaster and i had to ride the 300...... i can see why she wanted a blaster then. i went out and bought a 400ex 2 months later. now she wants the 400ex...i cant win.

im selling and parting my custom built 300 that was modded out.

450rs are not 1st choces for trail riders i think, alot of people dont wanna change oil or take care of machines so the old 400ex motor will last better

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well as far as the yfz goes...its super beast. That thing was just running a month ago and he ran circles round the 400ex across the street and that 400 is a beast too. He went haulin past him with his girl on the back wealkin it lol. I def want it!!! He cracked the case cuz his chain popped off and smacked the case. Im thinkin just get it and get it fixed....either way he had it estimated at like 400 bucks to fix so hell...i figure 4oo bucks for something that beastly! Im sooooo down! Its an 06 i think but dont hold me to it lol. If its m ine...it will DEF be raced!!!!lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
if its not an 06 and its older like a 05 make sure it has a new oil line on it the older yfz had issues with the oil line and it would blow the motors but still def worth getting

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im pretty sure it is an 06. he just had it completely rebuilt a little over a month ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts