Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, I recently picked up an '03 400ex. It's proven to be a fun/reliable bike! I will say I am very impressed with what this thing can do on the trail! The other bikes I trail ride with are another 400ex, an old scrambler 400, a grizzly and some liter bikes... a scrambler 1000 and a can am renegade. I am not the slowest, the grizzly is, but I am definitely not the fastest! I don't expect to be able to outrun the bigger bikes, but I would like to wake the 400 up some. We do get some straight, higher speed sections and I just can't keep up. I am not worried about having a high top end because it's not a drag bike, and by the time we get up to the higher gears, we are having to shut it down and get back into the trees and off camber sections.

Mine has suspension mods (arms and front shocks), but only performance is a slip on. Previous owner said he had the top end rebuilt, but not sure if it was back to stock or what.

What's a good carb upgrade? 450r or FCR? I have done some research but finding a lot of circular info.

I am not opposed to getting into the motor for a cam swap, etc. But I really want to keep my reliability.

Also, what's a good clutch lever? Is the rsc clutch lever worth it? Something with a smoother pull than what I got now.

I appreciate any info you all can provide!

馃嵑

Registered
Hey fellas, I recently picked up an '03 400ex. It's proven to be a fun/reliable bike! I will say I am very impressed with what this thing can do on the trail! The other bikes I trail ride with are another 400ex, an old scrambler 400, a grizzly and some liter bikes... a scrambler 1000 and a can am renegade. I am not the slowest, the grizzly is, but I am definitely not the fastest! I don't expect to be able to outrun the bigger bikes, but I would like to wake the 400 up some. We do get some straight, higher speed sections and I just can't keep up. I am not worried about having a high top end because it's not a drag bike, and by the time we get up to the higher gears, we are having to shut it down and get back into the trees and off camber sections.

Mine has suspension mods (arms and front shocks), but only performance is a slip on. Previous owner said he had the top end rebuilt, but not sure if it was back to stock or what.

What's a good carb upgrade? 450r or FCR? I have done some research but finding a lot of circular info.

I am not opposed to getting into the motor for a cam swap, etc. But I really want to keep my reliability.

Also, what's a good clutch lever? Is the rsc clutch lever worth it? Something with a smoother pull than what I got now.

I appreciate any info you all can provide!

馃嵑
Well, a pipe and muffler with a jetted '05 450r carb and uni airfilter goes a long way. After that, purchasing a stage 1 hot cam will give it alot more torque at the bottom and extend your top end without sacrificing reliability. And for the clutch, opening up the basket and slightly trimming the spring helps a ton, and as far as the lever, I've heard ASVs are the best.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man, thanks for the response... nice to see some signs of life on here!

Yeah, I have a slip on and foam filter. I actually just ordered a stage 1 cam and I am going to give a stunt lever a try. Only thing I haven't bought yet is the carb. From what I am seeing the FCR is a great carb, but you have to do a little more work to get it to fit up. So I might try to go with a 450r carb.

Are you running a different carb?

Registered
Hey man, thanks for the response... nice to see some signs of life on here!

Yeah, I have a slip on and foam filter. I actually just ordered a stage 1 cam and I am going to give a stunt lever a try. Only thing I haven't bought yet is the carb. From what I am seeing the FCR is a great carb, but you have to do a little more work to get it to fit up. So I might try to go with a 450r carb.

Are you running a different carb?
Yeah, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that responds to threads lol.
I myself am currently looking for a good deal on a used FCR or 450r carb. For now though I'm still running the stocker.

Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
I'd make it a 416 or 426 with a stage 2 hot cam, that's the best bang for your buck. Stick with 10-1 or so compression and it will be reliable.
It doesn't cost much more than buying a carb but gains a lot more power.
I ran a 10-1 440 kit, stage 2 cam, ported head, pipe, cdi box and stock carb years ago on mine, it was faster than stock 450r's. The bigger carbs do help but not as much as big bore kits do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts