Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys I can't get in to my main acct unclejpl4x4 i kicked yahoo to the curb. I missed a few sites/pws when i deleted my Yaboo acct :angry:

Ok so i have not been riding for a while going on 4rth summer do to a herniated disc in my back.. and now im jobbless and no income I have to sell my ride. So im doing maintenance i should of did a while ago, cleaning all the muck out in the lower frame and so on.

So my front end has been squeaking for a long time now finally got it up in the air. Greased what i could put it back together... still squeaks.

Had to remove the winch and loosen the winch plates, bolts hitting :dry:
:dry:
Shocks:I compressed the shocks( take pressure off) took them off I noticed the top sleeve dose not move and was wondering if it should? I think it should but not sure. With the bolt tight, dose not pivot. Now the bottom I took the sleeve out and greased the needle rollers.

A-arm upper: Had problems getting the bolt out hitting the frame. Had 2 remove a frame bolt then hammer the Aarm bolt out. took off the caps, dust seal, sleeve, bushings looked good/ no play. I wired wheeled the sleeves greased the bushings and sleeves put them back in and greased the bolt hole also. Grinded the bolt just spot so i had clearance hammered it back in + some prying.

A-arm lower: took the bolts grabed the sleeve with my fingers did not move so i fig they where glued in and did not come out. so i just greased the bolt hole put them back on.... i think this is where i went wrong ? :huh: I looked at the factory parts break down saw no service parts so im not sure if the sleeves should rotate and come out of not...

I have no front end play, used marine grease. So any ideas ? put it back together still have the squeal so i got go back in. I did not unhool the ball joints cables hoses. just pull the arms out a little. the back squeaks a little bearly, gonna do them to.

ALSO
water pump: so while it was up i pulled the plow plate since it was unaligned then the plastic skid plate, power washed all the boogers out.
Let it dry over night. Saw the drain hose was milk shake. Pulled it off got goo out of it. I put a longer hose on yrs ago routed to the handle bar area.
So looks like i got do seals . I see a set on e-bay for 90$.

Note to self: install zerk on upper A-arm when u take it back apart.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
the lower a-arms have bushings pressed in them, they are not serviceable, cept replacing whole ?, this requires a press to press the old ones out, and press new ones back in. the top a-arms ?, you pretty much did that right if what you say ?, they are like my '05 trx500fm upper a-arms :). I replaced both upper a-arms sleeves on my project. as for the squeaking ?, i'd say inspect all upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, and shock bushings. shock bushings is the worst about this. oh, and they are not suppose to move on the pressed in bushings !..lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya its weird why have a fancy needle bearing rollers on one pivit piont then a metal on metal( tight cant move) with rubber makes no fking sense. A-arms have a fancy rotating sleeve in bushings that rotate then the bottum a-arm same as the top spring mount.... makes no sense whats so ever. I did read that the rear bushings will fit in the lower A-arm... ill have to look at. I just hate having to do stuff twice but like i said theres no play so no reason to replace them.. maybe it is a dry ball joint just wish i had $$ to spend on a needle for the grease gun....

Was gonna work on it but just had a pipe under the house go from age... yaa me

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the water pump done and greased the ball joints i was not a fan of poking holes in the boots but it was a ver small needle like what they use to suck your blood.

I also used my Go-pro and recorded the water pump fun. Never did a edUmoecational vid. i still have to edit it. i'll do it after i greasr the rear ill do a video for that also.

On a side note: i stoped at Alantic city cycle shop and saw the Cam-Am 1000 holy shit i thot my rincon was big dam. they had a nice blue tryk dresser wish i had green backs like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts