Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all i have a question! To anyone with an 86-89 trx 350, when you remove your dipstick to check the oil, does the rubber o-ring stay seated on the dipstick or does it sit just inside the hole?? Since I got mine, it has always remained sitting in the hole but I'm thinking it should come out and stay on the dipstick. It does make a difference as to how far you can insert the dipstick when checking oil level. Thanks and I'm curious what everyone thinks about this.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I've had mine come out on the stick at times, then other times remain seated, both on my 300 n trx 350, but it's suppose to remain in the oil hole groove, n not on the stick, i wouldn't recommend any kind of attaching agent (gasket glue , silicon ,etc) if it starts coming out on the stick, I've put mine back in on the stick (no oil leaks @ all) :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies! I think its supposed to stay on the stick as well. The dipstick doesn't go in as far if the o-ring remains in the hole. So I've been keeping a tad too much oil in her. That can't hurt! I am hoping someone will have bought one of these new and remembers which way is correct. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
mine goes either way, no biggie. just pry It off the hole, pop it back on the dip stick, take your oil reading. you don't screw the stick in anyway when measuring the oil.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Same here, the O ring usually stays on the stick. Doesn't leak though, that's all that matters

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seals well either way on mine too but with it on the stick, it goes in about an 1/8 of an inch farther( maybe a little more because it fits tightly on the last thread)than if the o-ring is just sitting in the hole. so it does make a difference (however slight) when checking your oil.8

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you goober! I should've picked up on that detail when I was looking!! I had a feeling that was the way its supposed to be... Once mine gets hot it does tend to slip off. I actually measured and it makes a difference of about 1/4" which really makes a difference in the amount of oil! I'm wondering if my always running too much oil is why my top end seal started weeping oil.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
I Replaced my O-ring on the dipstick with a slightly fatter SAE size O-ring. It hugs the stick better now and stays put. I use silicone o-ring grease on it, so it doesn't bond to the case... that helps to make it last longer too.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Well the manual says when checking your oil don't screw in the dipstick just insert it. If your oring is contacting the case while checking your oil it might be the wrong size seal. I'll check mine but I don't think the oring contacts the case; I just set it in the filler hole til the threads touch, then check level.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When the o-ring remains on the stick it doesn't contact anything when I just put(I know not to thread it in when checking) it in the hole. However,if the o-ring stays in the hole the o-ring catches the threads and doesn't let the dipstick go in as far as it needs to. That's why I determined that I had been using too much oil because I was keeping it on the hole(that's the way it was when I bought it and I never questioned It) and the stick wasnt going in far enough so I had to use more oil to register full. Just a small detail but an important one! Thanks again for your replies. Does anyone know the average running temp of one of these wheelers?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.