Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on 9/11 2016 i bought my 04 400ex, only thing it had on it was a slipon fmf and he says a 440 kit but i dont know for sure. i bought it for $1900. at the time, i was only thinking about getting my next atv as soon as possible, ignoring a good deal. so when this was the 3rd 400ex i saw that might have been worth buying, i said screw it, and i bought it.

it runs absolutely great since then. well, there has been a few problems, but they were from me not knowing how to work on atvs. and now that im out of money, and i see quite few 400's for sale for a way better price and deal, im considering selling mine for the same price, and buying a new one so i could have the extra money to put more aftermarket on mine.

so far on mine ive put on pro taper bars and clamps, nerf bars, full yoshi, rpm bumper, and crf450 timing chain, i WOULD be taking all aftermarket off and selling it like i bought it. it would be a bit difficult to sell but i think i could eventually.

so what are your opinions on what i should do? sell mine for about $1900 and keep my aftermarket stuff, and buy a new one for around $1200. i dont really make much money, just buy and sell on ebay to make alittle. really want to put some more aftermarket on my bike but i dont have the money. thanks for you thoughts!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
it runs absolutely great since then. well, there has been a few problems, but they were from me not knowing how to work on atvs. and now that im out of money so what are your opinions on what i should do? sell mine for about $1900
What exactly are those "few" problems created by yourself? That is, are the issues now too large to fix and the underlying need to sell the unit? Regardless and chances are you unlikely to sell it for what you already invested in the unit. So, it may be cost effect to keep a great running machine and addressing it with aftermarket parts as money allows, assuming you do have a great running unit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i gotcha. the problems i made were it needed a new timing chain because i didnt know how to use a tensioner, then replacing the chain i broke oil filter bolts and had to buy a whole new side cover because i couldnt drill the bolt out. then i had to rethread have of the cylinder head cover bolts because 7/13 were stripped so oil was leaking everywhere. i know alot more about how to fix my atv though know haha

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
But if you've now done yours properly (assuming you HAVE done it properly) why on earth would you buy someone else's trouble ? (and it will have problems)

You wouldn't be thinking of dropping a bodged up atv onto some unsuspecting buyer now, would you?

Reactions: jw7054

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Keep what you've got and save for the next mod.. That's what most of us do, some people have bigger 'hobby' budgets than others but that's just the way it is unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Yeah It's always a gamble buying used. Just because you paid 1900 for yours doesn't mean it's worth that. the market fluctuates alot. I would say keep it and enjoy it until money allows. Save up your Christmas money.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I personally would keep what you have. 1 you know what you got. 2 you could buy another quad and have way more problems. 3 you very rarely make what you have into a quad selling it. Its a labor of love. Unless you buy dirt cheap with big problems and fix them. Me and a friend do that all the time. And you lose alot more than you win. We flipped 20 or so last year and made up for the losses from the wins but at the end of the year when we broke it all down we only made 1200 dollars profit out of all of them. Not including selling parts here and there. (We lost track of prices on that end lol).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just keep it. To get what you want out if is gonna be hard. Then you have to find another solid machine to replace. Also you have to take all the old parts off and then put them off, and you are gonna be out of a bike for a least a little while. And what else are even planning to do to it? You have a good running quad. Go rip shit up and have fun

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
559 Posts
Keep it.

Whose to say then next one you buy isn't going to have all those same problem or more?

Most people won't let you tear the whole bike and motor apart when you buy, so you're always playing Russian roulette.

Like Slammed said, now you know what you have, and you know what the problems are, so guessing game is over, and time to save is upon you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts