Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work on a small remote island in the South Atlantic that is owned by the UK. I need some personal transportation to get around the island. Main uses would be go to beach to fish and get around the island. The island is only 36 sq miles with a max speed limit of 40 mph. Some of the roads are paved, some are semi paved, and others are primitive but driveable. I do not anticipate any “hardcore trail riding”.

There are no parts stores here, only a private air service from the USA every two weeks for Amazon and other online vendors (The UK has an every two months cargo ships visit also). This means the Quad needs to be simple and bulletproof. I anticipate less than 500 miles a year on the quad.

I have to acquire the quad from the UK due to shipping issues. I also must sell (read cannot take it with me) should I leave here. Based on this information, I am thinking about a 250 recon with low use from a Honda dealer in the UK (I must buy the unit without actually seeing it in person). How far back in year models would you suggest? What is a good mileage to hour’s ratio? Any other things I should look at?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
Sure the electric shift models use a shift motor and a couple of sensors to control the shifting—just more stuff that can fail.
Unless you have an infirmity which prevents you from using a foot shift lever, I would avoid that feature

·
Super Moderator
38,138 Posts
manual shift all the way, goober is telling you right !.

·
Super Moderator
38,138 Posts
Any comments on my model selection? I am 6'2" tall and i worry regarding the recons size footprint...
in your position ?, then i would look at the trx420fm ranchers...DO NOT BUY A ES MODEL !. STAY FAR AWAY FROM ANY TRX350FM RANCHERS !. if you can find a older style '98-'04 trx450fm ( S ) ?, then i would snatch one of these up in a heart beat !. they are solid atv's !. but mind you, these are not new ?, but well worth the money if you buy a used one ?. if you buy new ?, go for the trx420fm all the way !. i dont favor the trx420's at all, they dont seem to hold up as long as older atvs did from the early years ??!. but you can still buy them i think today ?. if you decide to jump past these models ?, then go all out, and buy a trx500fm..this is also a manual shift, 4x4. just stay away from any and all es models, auto models !.

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
Have you thought about a side by side? If you’re gonna be on a tropical island carrying fishing gear and all that, get something that will keep the rain off ya too

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you thought about a side by side? If you’re gonna be on a tropical island carrying fishing gear and all that, get something that will keep the rain off ya too
Would love one but too much $$$ ...

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
Depends on how long you’ll be there and resale market

otherwise a Foreman 500 FM runs about $7K US
And Pioneer 700 about $10K

1 - 12 of 12 Posts