Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I'm new here and had a couple questions to rack your guys brain.

So I'm new to actually fixing tav's i grew up riding them but i always had my neighbor to fix them for us and never really asked questions. Soooooo needless to say i have no experience taking apart these machines. so i had a friend who wrenched on them before so he said he would help take it all apart.

I just got this 2007 40ex less then a month ago and when i bought it the guy said it needed swing arm bearing and tie rod. so when i got it i ordered up the parts and me n my buddy started taking it apart. i got all my parts from rocky mountain. I got all balls swing arm bearing, rear end bearing, brakes, chain & sprockets, and upgraded tie rods.

Well when we started taking it apart we got the brakes changed no problem but when we were trying to get the axle nut off we had a hell of a time getting the nut backed off like 1/8" under neath looked completely bare metal.... like we were just shearing off the threads. so we stopped with that and started on the chain. and we ran into another problem. the adjuster on the end of the axle barrier housing is cracked across from the middle to the edge. and cracked little in another spot. well we got the chain over the axle and pushed the master link in. well i can't get the chain to fit over the sprocket on the back. Is there a technique to get the chain on??? i got that adjuster pushed all the way forward.

One more question. My buddy has a 2001 400ex. He blew up his motor so the rest of the quad is good. Can i use all the parts off his quad?? Are there parts i shouldn't use?? The reason i ask is because the more he looks at the tie rod, he thinks its the spindle assembly thats bad. We haven't taken it apart yet so I'm not sure but was curious if all his parts will work on mine.

After all that we gave up and are trying to find answers and hope they aren't going to be too expensive. lol any input would be great.
Thanks
Jeff

· Premium Member
2,746 Posts
someone, will answer you soon, other than me, welcome..
i am curious as to your buddy blew up the motor on his.. :smile

· Registered
158 Posts
Hey guys I'm new here and had a couple questions to rack your guys brain.

So I'm new to actually fixing tav's i grew up riding them but i always had my neighbor to fix them for us and never really asked questions. Soooooo needless to say i have no experience taking apart these machines. so i had a friend who wrenched on them before so he said he would help take it all apart.

I just got this 2007 40ex less then a month ago and when i bought it the guy said it needed swing arm bearing and tie rod. so when i got it i ordered up the parts and me n my buddy started taking it apart. i got all my parts from rocky mountain. I got all balls swing arm bearing, rear end bearing, brakes, chain & sprockets, and upgraded tie rods.

Well when we started taking it apart we got the brakes changed no problem but when we were trying to get the axle nut off we had a hell of a time getting the nut backed off like 1/8" under neath looked completely bare metal.... like we were just shearing off the threads. so we stopped with that and started on the chain. and we ran into another problem. the adjuster on the end of the axle barrier housing is cracked across from the middle to the edge. and cracked little in another spot. well we got the chain over the axle and pushed the master link in. well i can't get the chain to fit over the sprocket on the back. Is there a technique to get the chain on??? i got that adjuster pushed all the way forward.

One more question. My buddy has a 2001 400ex. He blew up his motor so the rest of the quad is good. Can i use all the parts off his quad?? Are there parts i shouldn't use?? The reason i ask is because the more he looks at the tie rod, he thinks its the spindle assembly thats bad. We haven't taken it apart yet so I'm not sure but was curious if all his parts will work on mine.

After all that we gave up and are trying to find answers and hope they aren't going to be too expensive. lol any input would be great.
Thanks
Jeff
There’s some parts that interchange those years but not everything. I know plastics is different and the 01 won’t have reverse. I’d look up the parts you’re wanting to swap and see if they’re sold for the all years or if there’s a split. Most stuff I’ve seen that isn’t all years is like 99-03or04 and 99-07or08.

Do you have a picture of where the crack is? If it’s in the bearing housing, that should get replaced with the new one you bought. Or did you buy just the bearings? If it’s in the swing arm, I wouldn’t run it.

On the axle nut, its probably rusted and are a pain in the rear (pun lol). Use plenty of pb blaster. These are reverse threads, so counter clock wise will turn them in towards the brake disk. Once you’ve get the lock nut loose and the axle nut in like a 1/2” you should see the little c clip, remove it and both nuts+ the threads they’re on should slid off. Wait to install the chain because the whole axle has to come out to change bearings but when you’re ready for that the chain has to be completely installed/rolled over both sprockets before you put the master link in. I’d check that you received the correct length chain too. Does it have an extended swing arm?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont have any pictures of it right now. Its at my buddies house. Okay we will stop on the chain and get this rear end out.
As for the swing arm i believe everything is stock. I just bought rear axle bearings and swing arm bearings.

So when i get some pictures on here of the rear axle you can see if i need to replace bearing housing. Im hoping to get pictures tomorrow.

If i do need to replace that do u recommend stock or lone star or another brand that holds up. I looked on rocky mountain and they sold a lone star for like half the price of stock. Just curious what your thoughts are of it.

· Premium Member
5,960 Posts
You mentioned All Balls bearings I think? Just a heads up, if you got any All Balls brand bearings or parts, they're garbage and you'll be doing this work again in a couple weeks to replace them. Say it ain't so...? :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.