Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Dish

I inherited a 2000 trx300 from my uncle, who bought it new and stored it in 2001. It has maybe 10 hours on it. I cleaned the rust out of the gas tank, replaced the carb, battery and some hoses and she fired right up, runs like new.
Mice destroyed the air filter, I bought a new one, not knowing I need the metal cage insert.
The only one I could find online was $95 for the insert, is there another way to make the air filter work?

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Very good job; exactly what I would do.
Use the oem parts finder at Rocky Mountain atv and Partzilla to source OEM parts or find part numbers.
Download the service manual from the link in my signature block below

·
Registered
87 Posts
View attachment 153739
I inherited a 2000 trx300 from my uncle, who bought it new and stored it in 2001. It has maybe 10 hours on it. I cleaned the rust out of the gas tank, replaced the carb, battery and some hoses and she fired right up, runs like new.
Mice destroyed the air filter, I bought a new one, not knowing I need the metal cage insert.
The only one I could find online was $95 for the insert, is there another way to make the air filter work?
You need to buy the filter for it you will reuse the bracket on the back of it. I would get a new clamp. Also you will need to take off the white intake tube and clean it out you will have more mouse debri in it and it may clog up the new filter. Also remember to add the spray lube onto the filter to keep it fresh. You can order the filter from Partszilla.com Honda ATV 2000 OEM Parts Diagram for AIR CLEANER | Partzilla.com

·
Registered
87 Posts
You need to buy the filter for it you will reuse the bracket on the back of it. I would get a new clamp. Also you will need to take off the white intake tube and clean it out you will have more mouse debri in it and it may clog up the new filter. Also remember to add the spray lube onto the filter to keep it fresh. You can order the filter from Partszilla.com Honda ATV 2000 OEM Parts Diagram for AIR CLEANER | Partzilla.com
If you want to see it let me know

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you want to see it let me know
If you are going to reuse the cage soak it in vinegar for a week to cure it and get rid of the rust use a wire brush on a drill or other tool to clean it inside and outside. You do not want a speck of rust going into the engine or it is toast. You may want to spend the money on a new cage for you minds thought so not to worry about the rust going in the motor. That would be bad

·
Registered
87 Posts
View attachment 153739
Soak the cage in vinegar inside an old lunch box cooler take 2 aluminum wires cut to 2 feet in length. attach 1 aluminum bolt and nut to 1 wire and the other with a stainless steel bolt and put them in the cooler. Attach leads from a 12 volt battery charger and turn it on then let it run for 24 hours that should do the trick that is what I do with my stuff if it is rusted bad

·
Registered
87 Posts
View attachment 153739
You need the cage for the UNI Filter. I have used UNI filters you always need the cage it will collapse without it and make a mess and choke out your machine so do not try it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts