Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a 1991 TRX200 which I drive on my farm for work and transportation. Well recently I let a friend drive while I was out, and when I got back, he was gone a my ATV was parked by my garage. So I turned the key, and like normal, the neutral light came on. However, when i pressed "START", nothing happened, no noise at all, only the neutral light gets dim, as if it were going to start. I know the battery is fine, because its brand new and i already checked it. I also checked the wiring harness and the wiring seemed to be fine. I've been trying very hard to figure out whats wrong with it, but since im 16 y/o with limited knowledge about ATV's.. there isn't much i know about the problem. Please help. Let me know if you need more information.
Help will be much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
battery is dead. charge the battery, i know you said it has a new battery..buttttttt..if the charging system isnt working on the bike, then you can put new batteries in it all day long..and it still won't start after awhile. if it's not charging..then this could mean either the reg/rec is bad..or the stator is bad..the charging start's at the stator..the stator produces ac voltage..then the reg/rec converts the voltage to dc..which then supply's power to the lights and so forth..but also charges the battery.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
battery is dead. charge the battery, i know you said it has a new battery..buttttttt..if the charging system isnt working on the bike, then you can put new batteries in it all day long..and it still won't start after awhile. if it's not charging..then this could mean either the reg/rec is bad..or the stator is bad..the charging start's at the stator..the stator produces ac voltage..then the reg/rec converts the voltage to dc..which then supply's power to the lights and so forth..but also charges the battery.
Hey, i just fully charged my battery.. but the same thing keeps happening.. so i think it must be the reg. rec. or the stator. Do you think the CDI could be bad too though? And if either these parts is the culprit.. would i need to buy a new one?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
As soon as you charge the battery, does the ATV start then?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
As soon as you charge the battery, does the ATV start then?
No nothing happens.. does that mean my battery isnt fully charged? The neutral/reverse lights and headlights all work.. but atv wont start..
No, that doesn't mean the battery isn't fully charged. The starter or starter solenoid could be bad. To test the starter solenoid, use an old screwdriver and jump the two posts on the solenoid. If the engine turns over, the solenoid is likely bad. Make sure the battery is fully charged first, though.

The directions for testing the starter, itself, are in your other thread.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Does that quad have a kick or pull start backup?

Rob

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

Rob
I could be wrong, but I don't think it has either one. I think he's talking about the TRX200D Type II.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Rob
I could be wrong, but I don't think it has either one. I think he's talking about the TRX200D Type II.
Yeah Helmut i believe your right.. it doesnt have either.. BTW i jumped my solenoid and the engine started to turn on.. so i guess this means my solenoid is bad? Im kinda confused though guys.. my atv says "TRX 200" but on google i find the same atv under the name "200 Fourtrax".. no clue whats wrong

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

Rob
Yeah Helmut i believe your right.. it doesnt have either.. BTW i jumped my solenoid and the engine started to turn on.. so i guess this means my solenoid is bad? Im kinda confused though guys.. my atv says "TRX 200" but on google i find the same atv under the name "200 Fourtrax".. no clue whats wrong
TRX stands for Fourtrax, same thing.

Yeah, if the engine turns when you jump the solenoid, the solenoid is bad. Turn the key on and jump the solenoid and the ATV should start.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, if the engine turns when you jump the solenoid, the solenoid is bad. Turn the key on and jump the solenoid and the ATV should start.
Helmut your a genius man! I have you posting on both my threads :p. thanks man.. i think im gonna hit the local atv shop tomorrow and order a new solenoid. Hopefully that's the only problem!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts