Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 trx450er with 24 volt start. I had someone help put the 24v on, he has since gotten married and shunned from the world, anyway, i had to disconnect one of the batteries, i put it back on, and now when i hit the start button the relay clicks once (loudly) then nothing. I am lost and in dier need of some help.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Usually with the 24V set-up, only one of the batteries will charge. I would check to make sure both are at least 12.5V, because with the way they're wired, the few that I've seen done won't start on the single battery once you're set up for 24V. Double check all your connections too, make sure everything is tight. I've seen the conversion done two ways, one works much better than the other. In fact I've used the diagram linked below to do two 450's from scratch and to fix one the had some really screwed up method of wiring. Just remember to keep the battery marked as #1 in the diagram on a trickle charger when you're not riding so it stays fully charged. I don't personally own an ER, both my 450's are kickers, but when I did these, they started frighteningly quick. Definitely a great way to guarantee a holeshot.

Quadzone Forums

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Did you install a 24v starter and solenoid or just use the 12v stock parts? Just curious? because connecting 24v to a 12v starter and a 12v solenoid relay will cause irepairable damage eventually.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Did you install a 24v starter and solenoid or just use the 12v stock parts? Just curious? because connecting 24v to a 12v starter and a 12v solenoid relay will cause irepairable damage eventually.
I always thought the same thing, but these GNCC racers have been doing this with the stock parts since the electric start models came out, with no ill effects on the starters or soleniods. There's even an aftermarket company offering a kit with the wiring. TRX450R

1 - 10 of 10 Posts