Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this November will be the Elsinore Grand Prix which I plan on racing in. I think it's like a 4 mile race throughout the town. This will be my first race EVER! I figured that I might as well start preparing myself and my machine. I don't plan on getting competitive with my racing. I just want to do it for the experience. So I want to know what kind of training I should do so I can endure the race. Also, what are the bare minimum mods I should do to my quad so it can survive the race. I will be racing my 400ex so I obviously won't be competitive with all the 450's.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
You will have to get advice from RedRacer on the Desart racing thing i just MX i know you will need to do a lot of seat time, a lot of cardio training ,weigths, and start eating good, prep wise on the quad some good 6 ply tires some good suspension and a lot of luck.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where art thou Red? haha

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have heard that the basic main goal for your body is to get strong but not get big because that just means more weight. Im going to start going to the gym sometime this summer and start working out maybe 2-3 times a week. Any advice from Red would be great!

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Strength is not as important as endurance. The biggest thing you will notice while racing is that your body is so tired that you just stop trying to shift your wait around turns. Work on shifting your wait from side to side for hours on end. Another thing that you will suffer from, at least most do, is hand/ arm fatigue. Don't think because you can trail ride for 12 hours in one day your arms will last through the racing. Big difference. I learned the hard way. My first race by 1/3 of the race my arms were dead, I was pushing the throttle with the palm of hand.

As for preparing your body, Jog. Ride a bike, whatever. Work on your cardio most of all. Of course strength will help but big muscles don't mean squat if you're tired. Eat Pasta or any carb rich foods the couple of days leading up to the race. Eat Bananas, I usually eat one every day the week before and 2 the day of the race. This makes sure you have plenty of potassium which is what prevents cramps. Make sure you are well hydrated, no sport drink/sodas or anything with a lot of sugar in the days leading to the racre. Stretch before you race, stretch like crazy. From your toes to hair, you will be tired.

The nice thing about GP races is that they only last about an hour usually.

What do you have done to your quad?

You can run a completely stock quad if you want.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Strength is not as important as endurance. The biggest thing you will notice while racing is that your body is so tired that you just stop trying to shift your wait around turns. Work on shifting your wait from side to side for hours on end. Another thing that you will suffer from, at least most do, is hand/ arm fatigue. Don't think because you can trail ride for 12 hours in one day your arms will last through the racing. Big difference. I learned the hard way. My first race by 1/3 of the race my arms were dead, I was pushing the throttle with the palm of hand.

As for preparing your body, Jog. Ride a bike, whatever. Work on your cardio most of all. Of course strength will help but big muscles don't mean squat if you're tired. Eat Pasta or any carb rich foods the couple of days leading up to the race. Eat Bananas, I usually eat one every day the week before and 2 the day of the race. This makes sure you have plenty of potassium which is what prevents cramps. Make sure you are well hydrated, no sport drink/sodas or anything with a lot of sugar in the days leading to the racre. Stretch before you race, stretch like crazy. From your toes to hair, you will be tired.

The nice thing about GP races is that they only last about an hour usually.

What do you have done to your quad?

You can run a completely stock quad if you want.
Thanks Red! That really helps alot! As for my quad, it is bone stock at the moment. I plan on investing in some nice handlebars, nerfbars, and jets for my quad. Of course I don't plan on being competitive so I assume I don't need much.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
I would try to get some good tires for sure. Nerfs bars are really key for tight racing, it will prevent you from getting locked up with another quads tires. Handlebars are not that important. One of the best upgrades you can get is a steering stabilizer. Makes a HUGE difference in the high speed stuff and in the slow stuff you gut the bars jerked out of your hands. This is the one I run... STREAMLINE BILLETANIUM 11 WAY STABILIZER | MotoSport Exhaust and and intake along with those jets will really wake up your machine. Run 20" rear tires, 22" is going to make you feel really high at high speeds.

Stay calm, when you are at the starting line your heart is going to be pounding and you will feel like you are going to pee your pants. This race is a dead engine start, practice starting your machine and then popping it into gear. If you stall, don't panic. Just breathe and go through the steps, Find neutral, pop it in gear and go. You will be starting on pavement, don't get excited and loop it.

I found the best thing for me is to just ride my race, don't try and pass everyone, don't try to be the hero. Ride at your level and you will do fine. A lot of these guys will go balls out at first and then be winded. Then there are guys like myself who are able to go balls to the wall for a 100 miles straight. Not saying I don't get tired, I ride as hard as I can the whole time but then I will throw in little spurts where I just give it everything. You manage to find that you actually have more to give.

I just might be racing that race in 2011. Won't be there this year...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would try to get some good tires for sure. Nerfs bars are really key for tight racing, it will prevent you from getting locked up with another quads tires. Handlebars are not that important. One of the best upgrades you can get is a steering stabilizer. Makes a HUGE difference in the high speed stuff and in the slow stuff you gut the bars jerked out of your hands. This is the one I run... STREAMLINE BILLETANIUM 11 WAY STABILIZER | MotoSport Exhaust and and intake along with those jets will really wake up your machine. Run 20" rear tires, 22" is going to make you feel really high at high speeds.

Stay calm, when you are at the starting line your heart is going to be pounding and you will feel like you are going to pee your pants. This race is a dead engine start, practice starting your machine and then popping it into gear. If you stall, don't panic. Just breathe and go through the steps, Find neutral, pop it in gear and go. You will be starting on pavement, don't get excited and loop it.

I found the best thing for me is to just ride my race, don't try and pass everyone, don't try to be the hero. Ride at your level and you will do fine. A lot of these guys will go balls out at first and then be winded. Then there are guys like myself who are able to go balls to the wall for a 100 miles straight. Not saying I don't get tired, I ride as hard as I can the whole time but then I will throw in little spurts where I just give it everything. You manage to find that you actually have more to give.

I just might be racing that race in 2011. Won't be there this year...
Thanks alot Red! This summer ill start modding the quad and hopefully be ready by racing season. Look forward to racing with you next year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts