Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
The images aren't showing on my end ? Anyone else having trouble viewing them ? Maybe just my junks not working right.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
I can't see them either. Just blanks. On top, I will predict a missing copper sealing washer or a broken bolt.

For the lower leak, clean it up with some Brake Kleen and then watch the suspect area closely to find the leak. Might be an oil temp sensor, if equipped.

Rick

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
same here cannot see your pic;s so, cannot offer help

oil on bottom , could be MAYBE a skid plate and build up from doing oil changes??
and a old owner that didn;t clean much afterwards?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welp,. crap. Sorry about the pics. Using google. I put up links...see if this gets it done. I'll probably just clcean out the goop and watch for the leak source.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Those links work, THANKS .you got the right idea, clean her up, then you should be able to see them good and the guys can advise on what's going on :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a bit to do before I get there. This machine is in great shape, but it has just not been maintained although the oil looks really clean. I'm just cleaning it up and going through the owner manual one item at a time.

I assume I have to get gaskets for this thing on ebay as an aftermarket custom cut buy? I don't see any crankcase gaskets, breather, or head cover gaskets available through any Honda parts sites.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright. I got the motor all cleaned up and degreased. I found the leaks.

1.) Top front bolt of right crankcase cover. I am assuming this is just a cover gasket right?

2.) Oil seep at front of breather cover. Rubber O-ring style gasket.

3.) Oil seep at front of cylinder cover. Rubber O-ring style gasket.

4.) Oil leaking from "Tappet Adjusting Hole Cover". Need help with this.

QUESTION A: There are no gaskets associated with #4 above, so my options for leaks are pretty much just the O-rings on the rocker arm shafts inside, right? OR the leak is from a failed oil seal at the decompression valve lever. Is this correct?

QUESTION B: These 'gaskets' are just o-rings. Since No rubber components on this machine show any signs of cracking or drying, I find it hard to believe the rubber o-rings are 'bad'. Do these things just 'go bad'?

QUESTION C: When I remove the bolts, the breather cover AND cylinder head cover should come off at the same time and I can work on things on my bench right? It seems simple but Im worried about messing up my valve adjustment.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Dunno most of the answers to your questions... but make sure that both cam lobes are facing down (on the compression stroke) before loosening any of the screws holding the head cover down, else bad things can happen. You WILL have to readjust the valves if you take the head cover off. Loosen the adjusters before putting that head cover back on to avoid binding then adjust the valves after everything is buttoned up.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with some answers....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts