Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mines a 2002 400ex sportrax, and it won’t idle. I took apart the carb and clean it. It run and rev up good, but it died out. I keep adjusting the pilot screw and idle screw but it keeps dying.
Is there something I miss to clean or check for a specific piece in the carb.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Did you clean the fuel tank and install an inline fuel filter after cleaning the carb?

Did you clean the carb or overhaul it with a rebuild kit? If a rebuild kit was used, which brand?

Is the gas fresh? How does the spark plug look, is it new?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cleaned the fuel tank and add a filter, but the inline fuel switch filter is broken into pieces, so I bought small fuel filter that you use to clamp onto fuel line. I did clean the carb, especially on the bottom with the float and jet.
I did use a rebuild kit but it didn’t seem to replace onto it good the only that fit is the gasket seal, so basically I didn’t replace everything in the carb. I don’t know what brand it was but I bought from eBay with many good reviews.
I did replace the ignition coil and cdi module, and there is spark but I don’t know how good the spark it is. However, it did start and I accurate the throttle and sound good but doesn’t idle. Like I said, I keep adjusting the idle screw and pilot screw on the carb.
Ps the carburetor is original when I bought the bike, so I don’t know the previous owner change it.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
First off, ensure the tank is clean and that the inline filter is doing it's job. Be sure there is sufficient fuel flow and no leaks.

Secondly.. 95% of eBay carb rebuild kits are China knock offs and fail immediately. Spend the money and buy a known good brand or OEM.

If it won't idle it's odds on a fuelling issue, meaning the carb isn't clean even though you've cleaned it..

Carbs need to be surgically clean, literally. I've cleaned carbs 6 or 7 times before they have worked properly.

My advice...

Buy a good known brand rebuild kit, clean the carb thoroughly, clean it again, then again. Build it back up with the new rebuild kit setting the pilot at 2 1/2 turns out and see how that works for you.

Additional questions...

Does it have the OEM exhaust fitted?
Does it have the OEM air box and air filter fitted?
Does it have stock jets in the carb?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The exhaust isn’t oem, air box looks oem with the wear but it’s missing the lid. Also i bought an expensive air filter at my local auto part store (even though when I bought the bike it has a similar air filter that I bought to replace it). It seem to have a stock jet because the rebuild I got doesn’t match and fit, and I remember I didn’t fully took apart the jet cause I didn’t have the tool to perform it. So, I will take apart the carb again and take apart everything and clean, any advice for cleaning carb?

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
The best guidance i can give is
1. Buy the Honda service manual for this quad here’s one for $35. Don’t buy a clymer or haynes.
2. Buy OEM parts using the parts links in my signature block below
3. More than likely this carb needs cleaned and gaskets replaced—you can buy a Shindy rebuild kit or a Honda gasket kit—unfortunately Honda doesn’t sell a complete rebuild kit. They sell bits and pieces
4.. oh yeah use those parts links to “read” the model number of your carburetor; should be stamped Keihin and on the left side QB10AB
QB10AB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts