Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
Great question most manufacturers will not recommend ATV use for anyone younger than 16.

You want new or an easy project? Utility or sport? Riding on rough or smooth trails? An older or newer Honda Recon 2WD would be OK for all but unimproved trails.

training is most important
You and the kid should consider taking an ASI ridrs course. Don’t just sit him/her on the quad and let them go for it

also I personally would avoid the electric shift models.There are folks who will say they’ve never had problems with them but i will tell you anytime i ever needed the ES to work, it failed me

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want for both smooth trails and rough ones for having kid to learn to ride atv.

Can you tell me what things to look when buying an atv for kids.
Please give a detailed answer.

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
The first thing to consider is safety.
You may want to research the frequency of fatalities among users of ATVs at the ASI web site. You may find most fatalities from head injuries due to rollovers. I’m not sure about this, but it’s a reasonable assumption.

So I would evaluate the factors that influence and could reduce the severity of the most highly probable case: training, experience, speed, terrain, and Personal Protective Equipment all factors. You can manage all of these factors to a certain extent.

one thing you don’t hear about on ATV is Roll Over Protection System
Only two atvs i know that have them—the old Honda Odyssey and the new Polaris ACE:
You’ll see the youth ACE has a 50lbs payload—not very much in my opinion—consider upsized models

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Can anyone tell me what things are necessary to look when buying atv for a 11 year old kid?
I dont understand why you'd wait for them to be 11 yrs old before putting them on a quad. But that said we'd need to know size of child, as some 11 yr olds are barely 4ft tall and 65 lbs, while others can be well over 5ft tall and well over 100 lbs.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
My Dad was a Boss for buying me a motorcycle when i was 12.
Rode that thing every where—altho i wished he wouldve ridden with me, showed me a little more about maintenance but I didn’t hurt myself—he trusted i would ride safely—even tho I didn’t know how to ride safely

·
Premium Member
12,521 Posts
I didn't ride till I was 13 , but the second day I had that CT70 , which was my 14th birthday , I was getting a drivers license motorcycle permit , cause you use to get one at 14 in La. back then , got a brake tag the next day and rode to High School on it

·
Super Moderator
38,138 Posts
I dont understand why you'd wait for them to be 11 yrs old before putting them on a quad. But that said we'd need to know size of child, as some 11 yr olds are barely 4ft tall and 65 lbs, while others can be well over 5ft tall and well over 100 lbs.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
prob cuz most atv's say NO ONE ALLOWED UNDER 16 on them ?..lol. yes, we've had this topic plastered to death on here !..lol, I dont have kids ( that I know of ?..lol ) but if I did ?, i'd would judge the kid's ability to ride what ever certain size atv fit his/her build ?, sooo..thats that !..lol.

·
Super Moderator
38,138 Posts
I didn't ride till I was 13 , but the second day I had that CT70 , which was my 14th birthday , I was getting a drivers license motorcycle permit , cause you use to get one at 14 in La. back then , got a brake tag the next day and rode to High School on it
i was 12 or 13 when my dad bought me a used honda sl70 back then, 3rd gear was gone in it, but still, that was a fun motorcycle !..lol.

·
Super Moderator
38,138 Posts
OP, if I was you ( and I know I am not ! ) I would maybe look at the recon trx250 manual shift for your kid, once they out grow that ?, get them a trx300, maybe a 2wd to start ?, or 4wd, all depends what they do for sports..like hunting ?. the trx250 recons are very good atvs for young kids, but like mrquick ^^ said, all depends on their build ?.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
IMO< safety gear would be top of list before getting a kid on anything with a motor, next will be good proper lessons and training and I don't think I would just go by a kids age or size
a lot has to do with how well developed the kid is between there ears IMO
do they listen well, follow instruction,, under stand the concepts of what BAD can happen if things go bad
how much experience do they have on other things like petal bikes
Maybe I am just old now, but I know for a fact my gen and a few after me, all learned a LOT of things on NON motorized things before graduating to things with motors and that also made us better riders as we already had skills , in off road like, jumping, climbing, and FALLING, there is a right and a wrong way to fall!

this transition IMO is missing in a LOT of spoiled kids these days IMO
where, folks look back and think CRAP I WISH I had this or that when I was a kid, and are now in a financial position they can just SKIP them steps and get it for there kid, grand kid or??
and honestly
without all that NON motorized experiences, so many of us older folks, have, I doubt, we would be what we are today!

learning how to ride anything, is about steps, start small,. and learn and advance as your SKILLS say so, NOT just sizes or ages!

a full grown adult has NO real right to LEARN how to ride on a 1000cc ATV, just cause they have the means to buy it or age or size
there is just more to it
for the safety side of things,a s long as a kid FITS on an atv, staring smaller is IMO way safer than starting on a bigger cc one
not a lot of take backs or do overs in crashes!

·
Super Moderator
38,138 Posts
IMO< safety gear would be top of list before getting a kid on anything with a motor, next will be good proper lessons and training and I don't think I would just go by a kids age or size
a lot has to do with how well developed the kid is between there ears IMO
do they listen well, follow instruction,, under stand the concepts of what BAD can happen if things go bad
how much experience do they have on other things like petal bikes
Maybe I am just old now, but I know for a fact my gen and a few after me, all learned a LOT of things on NON motorized things before graduating to things with motors and that also made us better riders as we already had skills , in off road like, jumping, climbing, and FALLING, there is a right and a wrong way to fall!

this transition IMO is missing in a LOT of spoiled kids these days IMO
where, folks look back and think CRAP I WISH I had this or that when I was a kid, and are now in a financial position they can just SKIP them steps and get it for there kid, grand kid or??
and honestly
without all that NON motorized experiences, so many of us older folks, have, I doubt, we would be what we are today!

learning how to ride anything, is about steps, start small,. and learn and advance as your SKILLS say so, NOT just sizes or ages!

a full grown adult has NO real right to LEARN how to ride on a 1000cc ATV, just cause they have the means to buy it or age or size
there is just more to it
for the safety side of things,a s long as a kid FITS on an atv, staring smaller is IMO way safer than starting on a bigger cc one
not a lot of take backs or do overs in crashes!
you do know, your wasting your breath on this...right ?..lol. I do agree with what your saying ^^^^, but you know as well as I do, parents are gonna do what they want, not whats best for their kids.

Reactions: mrbb

·
Registered
2008 Honda TRX700XX and 2014 Honda Recon ES
2 Posts
Can anyone tell me what things are necessary to look when buying atv for a 11 year old kid?
Honda Recon ES I’ve had nothing but good experience with it and I just beat the living hell out of it such redlining in 5th and some jumps and wheelies, I would get your son a nice helmet with some gloves, goggles and maybe a chest protector depending on how fast he’ll be going

1 - 13 of 13 Posts