Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! My neighbour is a nice old fella but he can't walk very good and doesn't have much money so I'm trying my damndest to help him get his wheeler running so he can be outside in his woods when he wants. I just cleaned the carb real good and put it back together and it ran like a dream! I thought I had it! But today It won't start. This has been the pattern he told me over the last few years. It'll run just great one day and then won't even start the next. Would a bad cdi be temperamental like that? I know It could be a ground and I'm gonna start stripping the plastics off and trouble shooting wires. Anybody have any suggestions of where to look first? Any help is much appreciated!!

Premium Member
Ya do all the service manual tests for the kill switch, ignition switch, pulse generator coil, ignition coil, CDI, fuel cut relay and fuel pump. You'll need to maintain a decent charge in the battery as you work cause the 87 350D has the DC-CDI ignition system.

When you get all those done and if all seems well, tap on the CDI as you are cranking it with the starter and if it suddenly starts up and runs, it probably needs a replacement OEM CDI box. If you need a copy of the manual its linked on these forums... or ask for it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies. I have only given the service manual a cursory glance as of yet so I'm grateful for the advice as to the tips and trouble shooting I can find in the service manual. I thought I might just switch out my cdi with his to see if that worked because they are the same year. His is a foreman and mines just a 350. I'm sure I'll have more questions but I'll start new threads with more specific titles as I move along. It'll be at least a week probably but I'm not giving up till that thing is running like a dream!! Thanks again guys. I really appreciate it and I can't tell you how much I appreciate this site too! An invaluable resource and super cool to boot! ?

Premium Member
WHOA!!! STOP! Those two CDI modules are completely different beasts!!! DO NOT ATTEMPT to interchange them!!!

Your TRX350 Fourtrax CDI will fry to a golden brown crisp if you plug it into the TRX350D Foreman! And probably take a few other expensive parts up in smoke with it too!

A gazillion different parts between those two machines are the same, but another gazillion parts between them are completely different. Use one of the online parts fiche for reference when that question comes up: HERE is one. The service manual is a MUST HAVE tool when working on either of these two old sweeties. Get your copy HERE.

Keep us posted...

Premium Member
Unless the part numbers are identical, don't play Swaptronics between your bike and his. As advised by Retro, you could definitely fry something.

Rick

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah thanks guys,i was reading the service manual this morning and learned that mine is a cdi, while his is a dc-cdi and that they are NOT interchangeable!!! Lol that really would've sucked if I had done that!! I've been reading about trouble shooting different things and while its a little intimidating I'm determined to get that thing running!! Thanks again!

Premium Member
All you need is a decent multimeter that is fairly accurate measuring resistance. Follow the procedures in order and measure exactly where the manual says to (if it says measure on harness side of plug do it exactly that way) and you'll be done troubleshooting the Ignition in just a few minutes. If your multimeter is auto-ranging you won't even have to think... :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I need to get a better multimeter for sure. An auto one like you mentioned. So I went back there today and trickle charged hours battery while I went for a ride. Came back two hours later and it fired right up! Ran perfectly!! I had wiggled the wires on the cdi but honestly I doing believe that was it. Once it stops running again I'll have to go over and start testing everything. Thanks again for your replies. I'll keep posting once I have something to post! Now to work on mine. I need new yamabond for the rocker box cover. Weeping oil out of about 5 places now!! Project for the approaching rainy days here in Maine.

Premium Member
Good news! Maybe it needs nothing. Be a good idea to pull each plug and connection apart on the wiring harness to see if they are clean and to reseal them with silicone grease. Clean the two grounds too. You can measure components when you get time for assurance... don't have to be an auto-ranging meter just a decent one. If it ever fails to start right up, tap on the CDI and if it leaps to life it probably will need a new CDI module, either genuine OEM honda or a genuine Ricks electrical service CDI. Hope both machines live forever!

Registered
First need to determine if it's fuel problem or ignition problem. Check for a spark ignition first because fuel pump operation has to get pulses from the ignition FIRST.

Get a old spark plug and connect to spark plug wire and ground the threaded part good and crank and look for spark.

If it's sparking check the fuel system per the service manual.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.