Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a good carb for 87 TRX 250? Choke plunger is seized solid in mine.
Shifter lever too... splines are stripped.

Let me know..thanks folks..

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
That is the Fourtrax 250 utility, isn't it? Just making sure nobody gets it confused with the TRX250X, as they use a different type of carb.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you are right... thanks... i didnt know that till i googled it just now. its a Fourtrax TRX250 utility, whats the diff tho with the X model? I think that its just that the choke is operated on the side of the carb with a lever rather than the cable running to the handlebars no? Thanks so much again.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yes you are right... thanks... i didnt know that till i googled it just now. its a Fourtrax TRX250 utility, whats the diff tho with the X model? I think that its just that the choke is operated on the side of the carb with a lever rather than the cable running to the handlebars no? Thanks so much again.
The utility models use a rubber vacuum piston to raise and lower the needle when you accelerate and the 250X uses linkage to raise and lower it. The carb bore may also be a different size, I'm not sure. All utility models use the vacuum piston to raise the needle and all sport models use the linkage. Also, the jetting would more than likely, be different.

EXCEPTION: I think the Fourtrax 350 uses the mechanical linkage to raise and lower the needle, too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
U wouldn't happen to know the crossover years would you? Or if a carb from an 85 Big Red would fit? Trying to find what will pop into place of my old one.. i cant see them changing the carbs much between years and bikes.. not back then anyways.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
U wouldn't happen to know the crossover years would you? Or if a carb from an 85 Big Red would fit? Trying to find what will pop into place of my old one.. i cant see them changing the carbs much between years and bikes.. not back then anyways.

Thanks.
They only made the Fourtrax 250 utility model for 3 years, 1985-1987, and any of those years will be the same.

I'm not positive about the Big Red 250 3-wheeler carb, but I believe it will fit. If you use a carb off of anything but a Fourtrax 250 utility, then you might have to change the jets and use the ones that are in your old carb. I'm not positive that the jets are different, but there's a good chance that they are.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Thanks so much for your help.... I really appreciate it. Have a great week!
You're welcome and you have a great week as well.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
for what it's worth..if you soak the choke piston with some wd-40..keep spraying it.it will work loose..been there..done that..just don't mess up the plastic top screw..they aren't cheap !.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
for what it's worth..if you soak the choke piston with some wd-40..keep spraying it.it will work loose..been there..done that..just don't mess up the plastic top screw..they aren't cheap !.
Just take your time and be careful, because the top of that choke valve where the cable hooks will break off real easy and then it would be extremely hard to get out.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Just take your time and be careful, because the top of that choke valve where the cable hooks will break off real easy and then it would be extremely hard to get out.
yep..you are correct on that part !..lol..it's only brass..and it will break very easy !..and yes..it's a pain to get out..lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts