Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where to start?? it,s fairly well made kit with some junk parts thrown in. the old adage " the devil is in the details". the bottom shaft did not have a beveled
edge . u will damage the seal without that beveled edge.

the motor mount needed mega grinding to clear the brake line. I had to bend
the brake line as well.

images upload
the right hand motor mount bracket was not even close to fitting so I made one.

image hosting 12mb
I bolted it above the winch rely where I tied in for power. no sense in going all the way back to the battery when I got power right handy.

photo sharing sites
the wiring harness. now this takes the cake. the real cheap inline 40 amp
fuse holder was only a few inches from the plug that goes in to the ECU.
the ECU is mounted behind the inner front wheel fender . that fuse is a long way from the power source. old school ios mount the fuse as close the the power source as possible. I bought a sealed fuse holder with a bolt on bracket
at auto parts plus for a few bucks..

uploadimage
now how does it work??? it,s fantastic on the trail. I put 100 KMs on it today
and usaly I get a burning pain in my neck but not today. now on the road.
it,s way to easy. it needs a switch to cut the power at high speed. if u look sideways, that's where your heading. 55 KMs is my max comfy speed now.
another thing, the little LED light that tells u the power steering is working
is wired 2 inches from the plug in the ECU which is behind the inner fender .
all in all , the sales clerk was real nice the shipping to Canada was painless,
but they got to realize that like a chain , it,s only as strong as it,s weakest
link. rant over

·
Registered
145 Posts
According to the kit description, this unit is speed-sensitive. What do they mean by that? I don't see that the ECU actually senses vehicle speed (unlike the Honda factory units).

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to the kit description, this unit is speed-sensitive. What do they mean by that? I don't see that the ECU actually senses vehicle speed (unlike the Honda factory units).
I was told to hook up my speed sensor to make it speed sensitive. then 2 days later I was told that he had check with the engineers and the speed sensor
on Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki will not work with these kits. I think the problem is a design flaw. I was in the Yamaha shop yesterday and looking at the new 2016 model 700 Kodiak with power steering. there is no play in the handle bar at all while sitting on the show room floor. we did not start them
to check the steering while running. the eze steer kit has a real soft torque
shaft with about 1 3/8 play in one direction at the handle bar end. so that's
2 3/4 inch play all together. that would make extremely sloppy steering
if the power steering stopped working. me thinks that's why they don,t want
u to cut back on the power to the steering. with electronics, anything is possible. they could make a ECU that would cut back the power steering power
to only 25% at the flick of a switch. in all fairness, I now have about 400 KMs
with power steering and it,s still working. u kind off get use to it.

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Obi: It is not speed sensitive (and adapting) like factory PS is. Because of that, it is easy to oversteer (and have an accident) at higher speeds. I pull people out of the trees constantly because they oversteer with PS on Polaris machines. In my opinion, this unit is a $750 accident waiting to happen.

The Rincon steers as easily AT HIGHER SPEED as most Honda PS units do (without PS). But, there are times when it would be nice to have factory power steering on the Rincon at lower speeds.

As I've said before, a LOT goes into making good Power Steering. On FACTORY units, the ECM (vehicle computer) is an integral part of it because it is able to look at make aspects in the operation of the ATV and compute them to provide the best steering for the speed and situation.

By the way, I've also spoken to Honda Engineers and asked them if they've considered making 'accessory/add-on' power steering units for their atvs that do not already have power steering. Their answer was/is a quick and firm 'no'. And their reason for saying 'no' is: "There is absolutely no way that we could make an 'accessory' power steering unit that would be equivalent, or even close to the factory installed units because the factory units incorporate more sensors in different places on the atv, a completely different ECM (computer), and a completely different wiring harness." "It would cost a person less money to trade their existing non-PS unit in on a PS unit, than it would cost to purchase an 'accessory PS Unit, a new ECM, a new wiring harness, additional vehicle sensors, and possibly, the labor of having all that installed. "

That also explains why factory installed PS units are superior to an aftermarket unit- no matter what the brand is.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I wouldn't doubt it would be that difficult to make a retrofit kit for base model machines that don't have it, they would still have all the sensors. Say if you bought a 2015 foreman and wanted to add PS down the road. It would still be an expensive endeavour of course, being Honda OE. But even on my Rubi here is lots of capped electrical connections and brackets on the frame which I assume are meant for the DCT models, which leads me to believe the main components are the same.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I bought my 2014 680 Rincon superatv power steering on sale for just over $500 last winter and got $90 deposit back for my oem steering shaft. The "B" bracket didn't go in until It was bent ( just a little) around the brake line and opened up the bolt hole to the "N" plate with a 3/8" drill bit. If you don't do this the steering unit and shaft is pulled out of alinement and won't turn freely. This system must have been set up on a 650.
I also left the tie rods connected to the steering arm during the install not as the manual suggested, I just removed the steering arm nut.

I also had low speed bump steer problems. Talked to the tech at super atv and they sent a new controller after I did all of the tests on their trouble shooting guide. I didn't find any problems with the ecu I sent back and the new ecu tested exactly the same.
If you add up the current draw for headlights grip heaters and a 220 watt power steering unit, the charging system is getting close to it's limit, the slower trails drain the battery.
My solution to the problem was a pricey but effective LiFe 36ah battery, It recovers charge faster than the lead acid, is lightweight, holds twice the power, don't need a trickle charger and the claim is they last four times as long. Very pricey!

After fixing the bugs I wouldn't ride without power steering, 30 miles of strip mine rocks is a breeze.

Another interesting note: 2015 FourTrax Foreman Rubicon 4x4 Innovations - Honda Powersports

Honda's new Rubicon power steering is said to have torque sensors, as you speed up steering requires less torque. Sounds like the same system just worded a little differently.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you have a model that doesn't come with power steering but they make them same model that do can you just buy the factory power steering from Honda and install it

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
If you have a model that doesn't come with power steering but they make them same model that do can you just buy the factory power steering from Honda and install it

It's definitely a possibility, but I don't know for sure. It's going to be expensive, and probably require adding the whole wire harness and ECM from a EPS model? Some further investigation would be required.....

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
update on my Rincon EZ STEER power steering kit. I have 3,000 km with this power steering and I love it. I will be installing one on my other Rincon over the winter. u get used to the EZ steering. I sometimes cruz between 70 and 80
km/h and no problem. I now hate my other Rincon without the power steering.

·
Registered
1 Posts
update on my Rincon EZ STEER power steering kit. I have 3,000 km with this power steering and I love it. I will be installing one on my other Rincon over the winter. u get used to the EZ steering. I sometimes cruz between 70 and 80
km/h and no problem. I now hate my other Rincon without the power steering.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Did you get the 170 or 220 watt?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts