Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Last Year I picked up a 2018 KLR 650, loved the bike but went and played with the big boys and drove a BMW-GSA R1200.

Here was my KLR, I put 9,000 miles on her in less than a year, 0 issues.

After that the search was on, I didn't want to pay BMW prices for a bike. So I ended up with this.

Its a 2017 Yamaha Super Tenere, it only had 3800 Miles on it. Has over $3500 in accessories(Panniers, Crash Bars, Skid Plate, Etc.) Shes very clean. Had to drive 2.5 hours to pick it up from a guy off Facebook, he just didnt drive it! The power from a 650 thumper to a 1200 2 cylinder is crazy, I would have killed myself if I started on a bike like this haha! I'm debating on selling my Grizzly since I never drive it anymore lol! I kept the KLR for now until I decide what to do with it. Until then she gets to sit in the back of garage :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Put 45,000 on my 09 klr, great bike, sold it and bought a drz400. After a trip to Colorado the klr was just to much of a road bike for that kind of area. Been back to CO 4 times and out to Moab, still happy with the drz.
Have a tiger xc for the road but the Tenere is on my short list. Be sure to drain the float bowl on the klr, I'm sure its going to be sitting for a while.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sharp looking bike! But im noticing a trend here. And its not a trend in red. But a trend in blue? You have fully gone to the dark side? LoL
Haha , not gonna lie , I looked the Honda Africa Twin aswell, it was a extremely tall bike even for me and then I would have to deal with chain maintenance again lol.

Put 45,000 on my 09 klr, great bike, sold it and bought a drz400. After a trip to Colorado the klr was just to much of a road bike for that kind of area. Been back to CO 4 times and out to Moab, still happy with the drz.
Have a tiger xc for the road but the Tenere is on my short list. Be sure to drain the float bowl on the klr, I'm sure its going to be sitting for a while.
I definately wanna make my way out west next year, I went in a car to Yellowstone and Black Hills this past summer, but damn a bike would have been so much fun and this thing is made for them long touring trips with a mix of off road :) I'll be posting the KLR and see what hits I get otherwise I may just keep it for a in town runner or something haha.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have lots of tracks for Silverton, Gunnison, Bueno Vista Co area if you need some. Silverton is my favorite, trail riding almost in town. You can use the klr as a lot of people do, but it wore me out. Have a 7 day track for next year CO, UT, and WY. And a pic, moab, keep your eyes on the road...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have lots of tracks for Silverton, Gunnison, Bueno Vista Co area if you need some. Silverton is my favorite, trail riding almost in town. You can use the klr as a lot of people do, but it wore me out. Have a 7 day track for next year CO, UT, and WY. And a pic, moab, keep your eyes on the road...
Oh my, I wanna drive to CO next year so bad.

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
just seen this, congrats on the new bike
lots of great places to ride out west, the scenery can be outstanding, , all the more so if you can get there in the fall and see some color changes on tree's/leaves!

ride safe and good luck with the new bike

·
Super Moderator
4,997 Posts
Africa twin should have been the first option in my opinion, renowned for reliability and consistency...

We all have our preferences though, I appreciate that 🙂
Follow up with some videos and user opinions won't you 🙂👍

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a great choice! Thinking of a new purchase as well, Yamaha FJR1300A. It'll definitely give a buzz!
Awesome choice and a real mile eater. Post some pics if you pic it up!

Africa twin should have been the first option in my opinion, renowned for reliability and consistency...

We all have our preferences though, I appreciate that 🙂
Follow up with some videos and user opinions won't you 🙂👍
It was really tall and chain drive turned me off from it. I now have 10k miles on it now and loving every minute, couldnt find any decently priced africa twins by me and this one is known to be pretty much dead reliable. Ive taken it thru mud , rocks , water , and sand. Its handled everything just fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts