Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
2017 Honda Foreman Rubicon 500 DCT/PS
Discussion Starter #1
So I mounted my 12'' light bar and I wired it up with the MICTUNING wiring kit which includes a fuse, a relay, and a rocker switch. Now other people that has hooked up this same set-up does what I think is suppose to. But with mine...the LED on my rocker switch constantly stays on making it constantly pulling power from the battery. Other peoples light goes on and off with the turn of the key on the 4-wheeler. While as I said mine constantly stays on. I worried about running my battery down and also WHY it doesn't go on and off with my atv. Thanks for all the help!

Premium Member
Hi I did the same thing you have the harness backward.

You want the light switch circuit to be powered by the accessory circuit; the light switch energizes the power relay, which actually powers the light bar. The wires with the relay attach to the battery (red) and the frame ground.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hi I did the same thing you have the harness backward.

You want the light switch circuit to be powered by the accessory circuit; the light switch energizes the power relay, which actually powers the light bar. The wires with the relay attach to the battery (red) and the frame ground.
Haha so im not all good with wires and stuff so your gonna have to dumb it down for me. I can't see how I could have gotten anything backwards cause the way they all plug up they could only go one way.
*I got the two red and black wires (the wires that are in the same strip)coming from the relay that have the prongs on the end hooked up to the battery.

*Then I have the other red and black wires (these wires are in the same strip) that are in a different strip hooked up to the light bar.

*Then I have the black, blue, and white (all in the same wiring strip) hooked up the switch.

Tell me what part is wrong please? Hopefully I just have to switch some things around on the switch cause I really don't wanna rewire it.

Premium Member
Sorry yeah I said some confusing things maybe this explan will help until I can post some pic.
There are two circuits on that harness: a low amp and high amp.
The low amp circuit red and black wires may be a bit smaller than the other two red and black wires. That's because they are not intended to power the lights; it is only intended to control the relay in the high amp circuit. The low amp circuit powers the OFF button light through the ATV ignition switch. This circuit is only energized when the ATV ignition is on. You should only see the OFF light illuminated when the ignition is on.

The high amp circuit has the light connectors it is powered directly by the red wire on the battery and grounded to the frame. It is only energized when the light OFF/ON button in the low amp circuit is depressed, energizing the relay which completes the high amp circuit.

So you see you have wiredthe low amp circuit directly to the battery so your OFF button is always on

Attachments

Premium Member
So now, how to fix? You have to seek power from the ignition circuit. From the accessory circuit would be best. I don't know on your model. How to connect: ideally you would locate a barrel connector in the main harness where you could connect a Y-harness; this taps in to power without weakening the original wiring.

The older ATVs have an ignition circuit powered accessory plug-in near the headlight mount. GENIUS and often overlooked/underused accessory

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This is pretty much how I have it. Still not understanding exactly what your talking about. Except for the part where it goes to 2 light fixtures. I only have one wire for that since I only have one thing to plug up. But like I said everything on this harness was pretty much plug and play. There is no other places that these wires would have let me plug into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BW2RZJLFkk

Heres exactly how I did it.

Attachments

Premium Member
what he is saying is, you should connect the power to the relay/switch to a '' keyed '' power source when you turn the key on, then rocker switch will only light up when you turn the key on, and not get power when the key is off :).

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
what he is saying is, you should connect the power to the relay/switch to a '' keyed '' power source when you turn the key on, then rocker switch will only light up when you turn the key on, and not get power when the key is off :).
All the wires come in bundles. I don't know which one is the power source for the relay, switch.

Premium Member
All the wires come in bundles. I don't know which one is the power source for the relay, switch.
which ever wire sends power to the relay that is hooked to the battery ?, is the wire you need to put to the wire that goes hot when the key is on ?. red normally means power to the relay, this is your power source, it needs to be hooked to a '' keyed '' power source. surely the light came with wiring instructions, right ?, see which wire it tells you to connect to the battery ?, this is the wire you need to connect to a '' keyed '' power source.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
which ever wire sends power to the relay that is hooked to the battery ?, is the wire you need to put to the wire that goes hot when the key is on ?. red normally means power to the relay, this is your power source, it needs to be hooked to a '' keyed '' power source. surely the light came with wiring instructions, right ?, see which wire it tells you to connect to the battery ?, this is the wire you need to connect to a '' keyed '' power source.
No the light bar did not come with instructions. So the red wire with the prong on the end that suppose to go to the battery terminal is suppose to be hooked up to my "keyed" power source? And is there an accessory switch on the front of my atv?

Premium Member
No the light bar did not come with instructions. So the red wire with the prong on the end that suppose to go to the battery terminal is suppose to be hooked up to my "keyed" power source? And is there an accessory switch on the front of my atv?
yes and no. yes, the switch needs to be wired to a '' keyed '' power source, no, there is not a switch for you to plug into ?, there is an accessory wire ( most are pink ) coming out of the ignition switch, this only gets power when the key is turned on. who the hell sells a product, with no instructions ???,sheshh, already glad I don't have one of those light bars..lol.

Premium Member
You have two sets of red and black wires. Can you tell which set has a smaller diameter? Those two wires need to go to a switched power source. Often you will see folks piggybacking their power wire into a headlight or taillight power wire using a bullet connector of the same size as the ATV power source.

Take a look under your fender front or back. Look at the light wires. They have connection points. What colors are they? You want to tap into a power cable using a Y cable. I wouldn't blame you if you took it to the shop for this--maybe they have a ready made cable or a better solution. The shop techs are people you want to know so pay them a visit

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Well still haven't been able to find the accessory wire on it so I'm just going to give up and end up letting someone else doing. Which I didnt want to do. Tried finding wire diagrams for my year model but couldn't find any either.

Premium Member
That's OK for the best. The thing is brand new so wouldn't want you to burn it down, ya know. The tech will show you exactly and then you'll know. Snap a couple pics for the thread!

Consider explaining that you would prefer they use a removable adapter harness--no cutting wires

1 - 14 of 14 Posts