Honda ATV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 282 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Double thumbs up shade!! coming along nice!!:)
thank you !. still have a ton of work to do before I go putting her back together. my meter/display, spark plug cap, headlight, and light control switch, ignition switch won't be here until Monday maybe ?..no biggie..not in a hurry for them..but I had to buy them..as they are valuable parts.

·
Super Moderator
36,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
update: purchased a used front differential, and both front lower a-arms from ebay. purchased the rear axle bearing and seal kit from boss bearing. also got the rear swing arm bearing kit from ebay. I have a friend down in FL, he said he's gonna order both front axles, front wheel bearing and seal kit, oil filter, front differential rebuild kit that has the front differential bearings and seals, and front brake shoes. said he will order these Monday for me. checked the main shop today, my bud there that had the front differential that he said may work ?, it was not the same. so I had to buy the one from ebay I found. so far I have about 700 dollars into this project, atv + parts. ( this is including the parts from my friend in FL ). the way it is looking now, I figure i'll have about 1500 to 1800 in a total rebuild, ( not counting the motor this time ). seems every other part is bad this time..cept the engine !..lol. I will buy new oem Honda rims, and ITP Mudlite AT's for tires. for some odd reason, someone tossed 24x9x11 tires on this foreman ?, it calls for 25x8x12's, and 25x10x12's. all plastics will get replaced with new, but this will be way down the road from now. I plan on working on getting the front brake area's cleaned and back together..they are nasty right now..lol. if the weather is nice enough this sunday ?, i'll try to get the frame out of the shop to soak it down with super clean, and then power wash it, then it's time for paint !.

·
Super Moderator
36,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
some front and rear brake work/cleaning

update: well, I spent a good amount of time this afternoon tearing my front brake backing plates apart, as well as the rear brake backing plate. I am one brake adjuster short on the front brakes ?, i'll round that up from the main shop when I get a chance. the following is some before pics, then after pics. I also show how I get the brake adjusters screwed out in my vise ?, as well where to clamp your vise grips onto the middle part ?, you do not want to clamp vise grips on the sides !!!..if you do ?..the tangs will snap off...real quickly !!..lol. also..do not go fast if they are seized up ?..if you do ?..they will get very hot, very quick, and snap off !..lol.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
36,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
before pics of front brake parts, and after pics all cleaned up.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi

Wow great job so far and you got that for a steal!!

·
Super Moderator
36,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Wow great job so far and you got that for a steal!!
thank you highrider !. yeah..got it dirt cheap ?..but it's gonna cost me a few toes, fingers, arms..legs..too get it back together !..lmfao.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Looking good shade!! I'm keeping up with you buddy!! Giving me the itch for another project. Neighbor just came in with a 300, thinking I ought to go over and help him get it running. I can tell just sitting on my back deck what it probably needs.For sure been sitting along time!!:)

·
Super Moderator
36,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Looking good shade!! I'm keeping up with you buddy!! Giving me the itch for another project. Neighbor just came in with a 300, thinking I ought to go over and help him get it running. I can tell just sitting on my back deck what it probably needs.For sure been sitting along time!!:)
thank you TLDan !. wellllllllllllll..go over there...and ask him if he would like some help ??..just make sure you tell him where you learned what you know !..lol.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I for sure will, he is a good kid and already asked if he could ride over here when he got one so I"ll go see him tomorrow.:)

·
Super Moderator
36,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I for sure will, he is a good kid and already asked if he could ride over here when he got one so I"ll go see him tomorrow.:)
good deal dan !. what better way to spread the word about what you know ?..is too show him..so he can tell everyone else what you can do !. yu'll be neck deep in work before you know it !..lol.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Looking good Shade. What do you use to drill out all those old bolts? You using a left handed drill bit or easy outs or ??? I bought a broken bolt extractor set and promptly snapped off two of the 4 bits in it, so not impressed with that route (think it was Stanley). Thought about trying a Rigid or Snap on set but n at the prices.

·
Super Moderator
36,801 Posts
Looking good Shade. What do you use to drill out all those old bolts? You using a left handed drill bit or easy outs or ??? I bought a broken bolt extractor set and promptly snapped off two of the 4 bits in it, so not impressed with that route (think it was Stanley). Thought about trying a Rigid or Snap on set but at the prices.
thanks jeep !. I just start out with a smaller drill bit, then work my way up to the size of the bolt, then I run my tap down through the bolt hole, works pretty good this way. main thing is keeping the drill bits centered ?. and yes..i have broke a few bolt extractors myself ?..they suck..lol. it is best in my book just to do it like I do, small drill bit, work your way up with larger bits, then just run the tap down.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Looking good so far! I like reading thru your progress threads, cant wait to see the final result.

·
Super Moderator
36,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Looking good so far! I like reading thru your progress threads, cant wait to see the final result.
thanks ! gonna take awhile on this build..lol.

41 - 60 of 282 Posts