Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
this will be cool to follow, keep up the images shade - will do guys like me a ton of good!

Congrats on the pickup.

·
Super Moderator
37,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
this will be cool to follow, keep up the images shade - will do guys like me a ton of good!

Congrats on the pickup.
thank you talex !. i'll keep the pics coming as I keep working on her !.

·
Super Moderator
37,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just pulling your leg no thought you might get a kick out of it.

I'll look through my parts and see if I have a front. I don't think I do and if I do I'm sure it would be pre electronic 4x4 switch
lol..ok bro. yeah..i can find a lot of the pre- electronic types ?..but not many of the 2w-4wd switch types.

·
Registered
234 Posts

Congrats on the pickup.
thank you talex !. i'll keep the pics coming as I keep working on her !.
I should be getting back the top end for my '98 450 S and putting it together this weekend - if that winds up being a flop I may have a lot of parts to sell if any would switch over.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Shade,

The foreman 500 front diff will swap, i think one bracket doesnt get used.

·
Super Moderator
37,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
she's getting torn down !.

ok gang, I spent the most of the day getting this '03 trx450fm torn down to the bare frame. i'd say about 12 hours today/night. and i'm beat !. I've got a lot of pics to show, some of them..you reallyyyyyyyyyy need to pay attention too !!!!..they will help you if you ever run across this problem on replacing the swing arm bearings ?..if the race of the bearing seizes to swing arm bolt ?..your gonna have a blast trying to remove the swing arm bolts !..lol. good thing I removed the motor !. this leaves you a way through the drive shaft side on the swing arm to be able to use a long bar ( I used a 18in extension from snap-on..lol )..to hammer the left rear bolt out, then I had to figure out a way to do the same on the right rear swing arm bolt ?..as it was seized too !. hmmmm..sooo..I had to figure out a way to reach the right rear side, and be able to use my driving bar to hammer it out from the left side, through the swing arm, and out it should come. sooo, with some hard thinking, I had a plan !. I used my 1/2 drill, 5/8 drill bit, stuck through the left side of frame, through the drive shaft swing arm, and into the inside of the swing arm to make a hole for my driving bar. pic's will show this, and I will point them out, if I don't forget ?..lol. saga continues, busted a ton of rusted bolts out, I knew I would before I went to tear this girl down !..lol. out came the drill, and tap-die set !..lol. right now I am knocking the crud off the front bottom, and anywhere there is bad stuff ?. sooo..enjoy the pics everyone.:icon_gd:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
37,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
here is a few pics of me using my 1/2 t-ratchet with my 17mm allen wrench that you need to remove the swing arm bolts. you will notice I have a 17mm deep well impact socket stuck on the t-ratchet , if you put the socket on the t-ratchet just right ?..it lets you have a straight angle with the 17mm allen wrench, and does not get all crooked on ya !.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
37,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
she's getting down to bare frame !. I think my shop floor is getting full ?..lol.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
37,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
just placed a order for some brand new Honda parts from partzilla, yeah yeah..i know..they suck at shipping !..lol. but dang it..they got the best, lowest prices everywhere I checked ?!. no one came close to their prices !!. anywayyyy...I order a brand new meter/display, ignition switch, light control switch for left handle bar, brand new headlight ( old one worked..but the plastic has spider web cracks ?..can't deal with the looks..lol ). spark plug coil cap. good thing I am in no hurry ?..lol. I've got plenty to keep me busy for at least a couple weeks !..lol. sooo..these parts can take that long. main thing I need right now is the front differential ?!..this is a big hold up so far.

·
Super Moderator
37,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
update: added me a small front skid plate to help with the lower dented area, I think it came out ok ?. it wasn't rusted through or anything ?, but dented kinda flat !..lol. thought I would help it with some sheet metal. pulled the lower steering shaft bearing, it was seized up big time, like I did not think it wouldn't be ?!..lol. I show me using my snap-ring pliers removing the snap-ring, the snap-ring is under the top dust seal. drilled out some more broken bolts, re-tapped those. knocked off some more rust and crud from the lower front end. too cold here to take it out of my shop and power wash it ?, gotta wait until the sleet and snow melts !..lol. then I will bring it back in the shop, start my paint work or liner stuff, have not decided on the liner stuff yet ?.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
37,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
more work done today, pic show..lol.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
37,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
last pics for tonight. spent most of the night tearing the front knuckles down, as you will see, the dust seals and bearings are shot. also the upper and lower ball joints are shot. these will get replaced with new. the good news I ran into tonight, the rear axle is like brand new !. gonna tear the rear differential down Friday some time if I can't get out of the house from this bad weather ?, and see how the ring gear and pinion gear look ?, if they are ok ?, then I will replace all the bearings and oil seals in that. gotta locate me a rear brake backing plate, and brake drum..these are bad !. still have not located a front differential yet ?, my bud might have one out at his place ?, can't go look until I can get out of here !..lol.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
37,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Did the 'Owners Manual' in your last picture come with your new project ?
lmaooooooooooooooo..ummmm..nooooooooooo..was It suppose too ?..lmfaooooooooooooo. I have never..ever bought an atv that had the owners manual with it !!..lol. I think owners toss them ?!..lol.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Hey gang. figured if I waited long enough ?, I would come across another project ?, sure enough..was scouting CL's this afternoon, and ran into a 2003 trx450fm 4x4 foreman. ad said he wanted 400 , I offered him 350, seeing how I had to drive to north west Arkansas to buy it !..lol. he agreed to 350 cash, off I went to north west Arkansas for my next project. it is still in the bed of my truck, as it was 10 pm when I got back home. i'll get some pics of it after I try to get it out of my truck by myself ?..lol. the front end is locked up solid, neither front wheel will budge !..lol. plastics were red ?..faded big time !..lol. needs a few things for sure, battery, seat, left hand controls, and lots of other parts. can't start on it yet, as I have a '05 trx350fm rancher in my shop right now getting the motor over hauled. should have that buttoned back up Monday some time ?, and running. then I will get this '03 trx450fm 4x4 foreman into my shop, and start to tear her apart, part by part, piece by piece...lol. this will be a ground up restore, sooo..it's gonna take me a few weeks to get it tore down, rebuilt, and back together. I will try to do my best to take a lot of pics of before, tear down, and progress reports as I go ?, I want everyone that wants to learn anything and everything they can about how these motors are built ?. enjoy the show gang, as I know most of you were prob. wondering when I was going to start another build ?, well..now I have a project, enjoy the show !. :).
Again...thanks for all you do!.

·
Super Moderator
37,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hey gang. figured if I waited long enough ?, I would come across another project ?, sure enough..was scouting CL's this afternoon, and ran into a 2003 trx450fm 4x4 foreman. ad said he wanted 400 , I offered him 350, seeing how I had to drive to north west Arkansas to buy it !..lol. he agreed to 350 cash, off I went to north west Arkansas for my next project. it is still in the bed of my truck, as it was 10 pm when I got back home. i'll get some pics of it after I try to get it out of my truck by myself ?..lol. the front end is locked up solid, neither front wheel will budge !..lol. plastics were red ?..faded big time !..lol. needs a few things for sure, battery, seat, left hand controls, and lots of other parts. can't start on it yet, as I have a '05 trx350fm rancher in my shop right now getting the motor over hauled. should have that buttoned back up Monday some time ?, and running. then I will get this '03 trx450fm 4x4 foreman into my shop, and start to tear her apart, part by part, piece by piece...lol. this will be a ground up restore, sooo..it's gonna take me a few weeks to get it tore down, rebuilt, and back together. I will try to do my best to take a lot of pics of before, tear down, and progress reports as I go ?, I want everyone that wants to learn anything and everything they can about how these motors are built ?. enjoy the show gang, as I know most of you were prob. wondering when I was going to start another build ?, well..now I have a project, enjoy the show !. :).
Again...thanks for all you do!.
your very welcome ! :).

·
Super Moderator
37,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Shade: It's coming along! Did you make the skid plate, or is it an aftermarket plate?
I made it kent. I had some sheet metal left over from a trailer project a few years back laying around , thought..ok..well..it's easy to use tin snips on ?, why not ?..right ?..lol.

21 - 40 of 282 Posts