Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when checking the wiring what setting shouls i have the multimeter set at when tring to start a quad, i think i may have to go over my friends wiring tommorow and dont want to ruin my meter

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
If you're checking the resistance or continuity(ohmmeter) of something, make sure the circuit doesn't have any power on it. You will blow the fuse or maybe damage the meter. If you're checking the voltage, then, set it on DCVolts, and set the range on the next setting above 14 volts, probably 20 volts on most meters. It needs to be the next setting above the voltage you are expecting to read, but not under. You can get an auto ranging meter that's easier to use. All you have to do is set it to DCVolts, ACVolts, OHM, or whatever you are checking. You don't have to set a range on the auto ranging meters. I have both kinds, but I usually use the auto ranging one, because it's just a little easier.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i already have a craftsman meter i just wasent sure what i needed to set it at but the dc 20 helps me as to where to set it,im not sure if ill even need to use it but just in case i have to start going through wiring im guessing i wont have to if theres spark at the plug but im going off what someone else told me they checked on it. so if theres no spark i guess ill start at the battery and work my way down till i find the problem

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I don't know what kind of 4-wheeler you're working on, but if the neutral light comes on and the starter will crank over, then you can usually jump straight to checking the ignition coil, stator, and pulse generator. That is, if you're not getting spark at the plug.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im pretty sure it,s going to be a polaris i only go a few vauge discripitions on whats wrong with it, i told him to buy a honda but he wants this fixed ,from what i was told today it ran fine then while he had it parked while running it just shut off and never started back up...sorry about asking about a polaris im just tring to help a friend out

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
the only thing you should even worry about checking as far as voltage is the battery and voltage drop during cranking, the rest you should be Ohming out and checkig resistance not voltage. for instance on my 250X the resisance ohm range for the coil is 0.1 - 0.2 ohms across the terminals if you remove the sparkplug boot and insert one lead into the boot hole and touch the other to the green terminal you should see 8.8 - 14 ohms if it's out of range remove the boot and check the plug wire resistance between the wire and terminal spec. is 5.8 - 7.2 ohms. the stator, pulse generator, ac regulator ect. all have to be ohmed out in order to determine if that particular component is bad.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
helmet...trx thanks for the info ill let you know whats going on with this quad after i get get a good look at it tomorrow, again thanks...mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello All,
I am new to the forums and owning a quad. I have a 2004 honda trx400ex. When I bought it i was told it wasn't starting because it had been sitting and I just needed to clean the carb. I bought it took it home cleaned the carb and replaced the spark plug and battery and then found out that there is no spark. I have done a fair amount of research and as you guys have said I need to check the resistance at the ignition coil, stator and exciter coil is what I heard. I was reading in the honda service manual that I need to have a peak voltage adapter or meter to check these wires but then i heard I only need to check the resistance but i don't know what values i should be looking for for my quad. Can anyone help? I have a digital multimeter but need to know if i should follow the service manual but using ohm's resistance instead of a peak voltage meter. Please let me know what I should do, If i have another CDI that i can swap out from a friend should i try to do that before I start diving into the resistance testing? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello again,
I have some more technical information so hopefully that will help anyone who has some advice, advise me a little. I tested the resistance at the Ignition Control Module. There is a two wire plug - blk/red & blk/wh the resistance between the two is .087 all readings are from a 200+ ohm setting on my meter. The four plug - blk/y, blue/y & gr/wh. I only got resistance between blue/y & green/wh .233 and blue/y & blk/y .233. I tested my ignition pulse generator & stator of the 4 wires i tested i only read resistance between green & blue/y .233. No resistance read on the pink & yellow alternator/stator. My ignition coil read .001. Does this mean that my stator needs to be replaced? Does this mean that my ignition coil also needs to be replaced or is a .001 resistance okay? If you have any questions about this information please let me know. If you have any answers for me please let me know, the last thing I want to do is take it to the dealership if I can figure it out on my own. Thanks again for your help.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I would check the coil again.. Greens are grounds by the way. when you checked the coil did you unplg it? if you didn't unpug anything you tested then all of your reading are inacurate, you test the coil by measuring across the terminals then you measure from the boot hole to the terminal (green one) that's secondary resistance. make sure when you put the lead in the boot hole you are touching the wire end

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you so much for your help. I am going to be comparing my resistance to my friends and will be swapping out my CDI box to verify that that is not the issue. I will let everyone know what I find out is wrong so hopefully it can help someone else in the future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts