Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blew up my muffler on the weekend. All the dealers I contacted say that it is discontinued. They can set me up with aftermarket, but louder exhausts.

Does anyone have a line on OEM or at least OEM sound level new mufflers, preferably from Canada?

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
Year make model?

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
ummmm..how we know what muffler your seeking ??..a year/make/full model is in order :).

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
What are you riding ?
I live in Canada, and replaced the obsolete OEM muffler on my 450 with one made by Kimpex. It's better than the OEM and it's quiet. Came from a Canadian company.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Caltric also offers mufflers/exhaust , I have one on a 300 for a few years now with no problems , they are lighter material than OEM , but OEM is no longer available for my 300's , the sound is about the same , not loud at all , the OEM was right at $600 if still available , I would have never paid that for one anyways ---

another thing I can tell you if you have a 300 , which for some reason I think that is what you got , if oyu have the 1st gen , a 88 u-shaped pipe/muffler assembly will take the place of the 1st gen / 2nd design straight pipe set up ( up to like 92 ) and all the mounting bolts will line up , but the 1st gen pipes won't interchange with the 2nd gen as the mount holes are offset by a lot

·
Registered
1,351 Posts

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Muffler from 05-11 Foreman looks to be discontinued, but I bet an 05-14 Rubicon muffler is the same. I'd check before I order a new one though.

Or get a used one from powersportsnation.com

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Kimpex Canada has a muffler for less than $200. -
My Kimpex is made of heavier material, installed in 15 min., and is quiet.

Should have been more specific .... apologies.
The Kimpex for the 450 Foreman has the curved pipe and does take about 15 min. to install.
The muffler in your link Jeep looks to be the one I looked at also.
The 2005 Foreman was used to look this p/n up on their 'search' feature. Install time unknown.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
@fishfiles what’s the exhaust kit for? Added performance at all or just for sound? I’ll probablt get the K+N filter too cuz mine is old and dirty anyways.[/QUOTE]

The HMF muffler was a kit , it was on my green 2000 450 when I got it , the P.O. told me that it came with the jets for the carb to match the exhaust for performance and the K+N air filter , and yes I do find it louder than the stock muffler that is on my red 2002 450

Whether or not the K+N has any performance enhancement on it's own and alone I can't say , but as far as lasting longer I would say it is better , the foam air filters don't last long for me , 2 seasons and they fall apart ----if funds were unlimited I would order myself 7 K+N 's and a couple of cleaning kits right now

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, sorry guys. I was just so ticked off to learn that it is discontinued, I forgot some important details.

Its an '05 Foreman 500 ES.

All the nearby dealers as well a Royal Distributing want at least $350 and up for an aftermarket exhaust, but they all say they are louder than stock. I dont understand a loud exhaust on a working quad. I use mine for plowing snow, hunting, fishing, towing stuff around my rural property, etc.

I dont want one that sounds like a Harley. It does that right now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What are you riding ?
I live in Canada, and replaced the obsolete OEM muffler on my 450 with one made by Kimpex. It's better than the OEM and it's quiet. Came from a Canadian company.
More details, please. I want the same sound as stock. All the aftermarkets are said to be anywhere from noticably louder to Harley...

I am happy with the factory sound level.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
check around in some salvage yards near you, ebay is not the only place you can get used parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
True, but a uswd one will just buy me a little time until I have the same problem. I would like to find a new replacement to last me until the rest of tthe bike needs replacement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
35wailin
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing