Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, im new to this site. i just got rid of my renegade 500 (long story short, everything was braking, axles and diff's) and i just got myself a 04 fourtrax 400 4x4 with esp/auto. i do a lot of muding but i find a lot of lack of power in the bottom end. at the moment i have 25in mudlite xl. i was going to get 26 but my local dealer told me that my tranny will eventually let go with 26 ... i don't know if its true or not.

now for my question. what would be the best bang for the buck for my bottom end and i would like to get 27 outlaws in the future. what should i do to my tranny (if its true that my tranny will let go)

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
Welcome to the forums. one of the utility quad owners will be here shortly to answer your question.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya, i'm not really new with the bigger tires and diffs ect, but im new to the esp, all the bikes ive owned was belt driven.

thanks for all the welcomes and fast replies :)

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I would stay with stock size tires, since it has an auto transmission. I don't think you can get a gear reduction for an auto.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Id say a Gear Reduction Kit, and probably go up to a 25 or 26 inch tire.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I would stay with stock size tires, since it has an auto transmission. I don't think you can get a gear reduction for an auto.
True on the 400 they don't make a gear reduction that I know of yet. I do know the 420 and 500 have them.
You can get a filter,pipe,jet kit,and a clutch kit. that will give you more useable horsepower and quicker throttle response to turn bigger tires. As for the trans. I don't believe you would have any problems with it running a skinny 27" tire as long as it is not a too agressive tread. People I ride with have this setup and bo fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
True on the 400 they don't make a gear reduction that I know of yet. I do know the 420 and 500 have them.
You can get a filter,pipe,jet kit,and a clutch kit. that will give you more useable horsepower and quicker throttle response to turn bigger tires. As for the trans. I don't believe you would have any problems with it running a skinny 27" tire as long as it is not a too agressive tread. People I ride with have this setup and bo fine.
what do you think of 27 inch mud lites ? do you think those are too aggressive ?

and also, where would be the best place for a jet kit. im from Canada, i don't want to get screwed over with shipping fees, i ordered some gorilla axle for my can am and i had 171$ of shipping fees !

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
You'll destroy the tranny with tires that big.Sorry bud.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts