Honda ATV Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
How true to size are the bigger outlaws? Don't they run small?

I'm going to have a 54% in a 300 and I'm torn between going with something like a 29.5 Outlaw or running more 28" Mudbugs, or maybe 30" Zillas. I trail ride more than mud, so figured I would swap these 28's on when I get the machine ready and see how it does.

But I had a set of 29.5 Outlaws pop up that were cheap. I ended up passing on them due to the distance involved, but almost pulled the trigger on them.

I think they run pretty close. 29.5’s might be closer to 29” my 31’s are pretty well 31” but they are 11’s mounted on 6” wide wheels. They certainly don’t measure over size like some other tires do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
you guys did get much snow eh Mac?

Or is that how it always is where you are...

No man it’s been a weird winter. Cold cold cold and not much snow. Of course we are getting a storm today, snow started about 15mins after I took that pic this morning lol

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Mac, you say its been cold? LOL come back out to AB... it's COLD here & has been. -40c temps. It's been brutal!

All this positive talk about what the MudBugs can do makes me want to go buy a set of 26"x10"x12"!!!!

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Mac, you say its been cold? LOL come back out to AB... it's COLD here & has been. -40c temps. It's been brutal!

All this positive talk about what the MudBugs can do makes me want to go buy a set of 26"x10"x12"!!!!

You know I’ve dealt with my fair share of that Alberta cold lol coldest day I remember out there was around -45 ambient temp. Wasn’t much wind luckily. Stayed in the house that day haha

·
Registered
176 Posts
I agree^^

Thank goodness shades not around for this one.
Are you talking about Shadetree,what happened to him?LoL if it's who I'm thinking,his thread I read about don't put those big azz tires on your bike,convinced me to stay with stock 24's on the rancher.
Shadetree means well. But he doesn't really know what he's talking about when it comes to oversized tires. There is a big difference between bolting 25" Mud Bugs on a 420 and bolting 34.5" Outlaws but Shade seems to think they will cause the same kind of carnage.

That 350 Rancher has 15,500km on it, 7000km with stock tires and 8500km with the 26" Mud Bugs. I've replaced the front wheel bearings once, it needs ball joints and tie rod ends currently as well as the left side rear wheel bearing, none of those have ever been touched since it was new. It's never broken an axle, and diff parts, nothing. If going to 1-2" oversize tires hurts the machine as bad as Shadetree makes out that it does, shouldn't I have had much more trouble than that? I'm not try to bash Shade in any way, I'm just sharing my experience. There is a point where the tires are too big, too heavy and stuff will start to break and wear faster for sure. But 1" oversize isn't it no matter what machine lol
Mac...When I looked at Mudbugs I did see they have a 25/10/11 so you could stay with stock rims.My stock tires are new just got the 19 rancher.Will keep them till hunting season,before I switch to different tires.Also looking at Wanda 24" P341's,Anclas and Zillas.
Have not completely ruled out 25's but just not sure yet.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Are you talking about Shadetree,what happened to him?LoL if it's who I'm thinking,his thread I read about don't put those big azz tires on your bike,convinced me to stay with stock 24's on the rancher.
Shadetree means well. But he doesn't really know what he's talking about when it comes to oversized tires. There is a big difference between bolting 25" Mud Bugs on a 420 and bolting 34.5" Outlaws but Shade seems to think they will cause the same kind of carnage.

That 350 Rancher has 15,500km on it, 7000km with stock tires and 8500km with the 26" Mud Bugs. I've replaced the front wheel bearings once, it needs ball joints and tie rod ends currently as well as the left side rear wheel bearing, none of those have ever been touched since it was new. It's never broken an axle, and diff parts, nothing. If going to 1-2" oversize tires hurts the machine as bad as Shadetree makes out that it does, shouldn't I have had much more trouble than that? I'm not try to bash Shade in any way, I'm just sharing my experience. There is a point where the tires are too big, too heavy and stuff will start to break and wear faster for sure. But 1" oversize isn't it no matter what machine lol
Mac...When I looked at Mudbugs I did see they have a 25/10/11 so you could stay with stock rims.My stock tires are new just got the 19 rancher.Will keep them till hunting season,before I switch to different tires.Also looking at Wanda 24" P341's,Anclas and Zillas.
Have not completely ruled out 25's but just not sure yet.
Yes 25x10x11 is available, had to check to make sure it wasn't just in Canada you could get them (like the 28's), but I see a few places in the US offering them.

Alternatively, you could pick up two rear wheels for a Foreman if your Rancher is SRA, or 2 rear wheels for a Rubicon if IRS. They would be 12". My dealer sells OEM take off steel wheels for $30cnd each, which is pretty hard to beat.

·
Premium Member
6,558 Posts
Hmmmm. Didn't reallize they made them for an 11" wheel. If I ever get one of these 350 Foremans done I could slap some 25" Mudbugs on the factory rear wheels and put 25x8x12's on some OEM front 12" wheels (I'm going to try to use this Superatv disc conversion on the Foreman now, and put 420 discs on my 300 projects).

That would be pretty sweet.

·
Premium Member
6,558 Posts

I initially ran 26x10x12 all the way around on the wife's Rancher AT. The rear tires have much better side lugs on them. I got stuck a couple of times pretty quickly because the front tires dug a trench and the bike would end up on the frame because the rear tires followed in that same trench.

Once I swapped to 12's on the rear it was a whole nother ballgame. The rear tires would still have something to bite on so it would go all kinds of places that left me stuck with 10 wides in the back. Something to think about.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hmmmm. Didn't reallize they made them for an 11" wheel. If I ever get one of these 350 Foremans done I could slap some 25" Mudbugs on the factory rear wheels and put 25x8x12's on some OEM front 12" wheels (I'm going to try to use this Superatv disc conversion on the Foreman now, and put 420 discs on my 300 projects).

That would be pretty sweet.[/QUOTE

If I decide to go with 25's on the rancher 420 ,that's mostly likely what I will go with (Mudbugs).Will not have to buy any rims.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally decided to retire the old 26” Mud Bugs on my ‘01 Rancher.

Just the back story for those interested. It’s just a beat up old farm bike, but after racking up over 14,500kms (9000 miles) on these tires I decided it was time to replace. The front 26’s do still have some life left, I think if the rears had been on a full time 4wd machine their whole life they would have looked just as good. I actually ran this set of Mud Bugs on my 2005 Rincon for about 6000km before putting them on the 350 for the past 8500km or so. This is the set that sold me on Mud Bugs, I have had 27’s also, on a 450 Foreman but did not keep the bike very long. They last and last, are not super heavy, excellent traction, great on the trails. Just an all around excellent tire.

So, I decided to go with 25” this time. I felt the 26’s were robbing the 350 of some power, also the steering was considerably harder than stock with no PS and 10” wide tires, the 8” wide fronts would help this, the rears are 10” wide. I put them on stock Foreman wheels, 12” steel. I had been running flipped Rincon wheels on it, but not long ago I removed a 1.5” lift and 1” spacers from the machine and was worried about the valve stem on the right rear interfering with the brake drum or getting debris caught in it. I just felt more comfortable going back with the stock type and offset rim.

Now one new set of tires would be fine enoughF but I figured while I was at it I might as well deal with some other crappy tires I have around. I had been fed up with the performance of these stupid 27” Bighorn 2’s on my Rubicon, for what I use the machine for they are garbage. If you ever encounter any mud or water on a trail you might as well have the tires off a soccer moms mini van on because the bighorns are trash on everything except hard ground. But I digress. I wanted to go with Mud Bugs on this also, I’ve ran 28” tires before on the Rubicon and was happy with them, so I went with 28” Mud Bugs. These tires are supposed to be hard to get in the US but there was no problem up here. Some have suggested that 28’s had been discontinued but the dates on my new tires being from 2017/2018 say otherwise. The 28’s come in 10” wide front and 12” wide rear, I mounted them on stock deluxe Rubicon rims.

Not one to throw out old tires that still hold air, I had the 27” Big Horns mounted on our other farm beater, this 2009 Yamaha Rhino 700.

Anyway here is the pics for everyone.

Has anyone ever tried running the mud bugs in 27x8-12 in the front and 27x10-12 in the rear?

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
687 Posts
I know im a year late but it'll be here if someone searches for info on mud bugs.
I tried 27x10x12 mud bugs on the rear of my rubicon, dont get these 27x10's for the rear, they're front only tires IMO.

They're going on the front as soon as my 27x11 wild thangs show up, I cant get 27x12 bugs at the moment so im gonna have miss matched tires.
The 27x10's have very soft skinny lugs that make the atv sway side to side at speed while on the rear, im thinking its a non issue on the front. I tried 27x9 zillas on the rear of an atv years ago, they also swayed side to side at speed but worked fine on the front so I think the bugs will be fine on the front.
Then there's the lack of side lug, once you bottom out your done, they dont grab the side of ruts at all, my 27x9 cst anclas have small side lugs and do much better in rutted mud holes. I actually like this in a front tire tho, tires with no side lugs never grab suddenly ripping the bars out of your hands or snapping an axle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally decided to retire the old 26” Mud Bugs on my ‘01 Rancher.

Just the back story for those interested. It’s just a beat up old farm bike, but after racking up over 14,500kms (9000 miles) on these tires I decided it was time to replace. The front 26’s do still have some life left, I think if the rears had been on a full time 4wd machine their whole life they would have looked just as good. I actually ran this set of Mud Bugs on my 2005 Rincon for about 6000km before putting them on the 350 for the past 8500km or so. This is the set that sold me on Mud Bugs, I have had 27’s also, on a 450 Foreman but did not keep the bike very long. They last and last, are not super heavy, excellent traction, great on the trails. Just an all around excellent tire.

So, I decided to go with 25” this time. I felt the 26’s were robbing the 350 of some power, also the steering was considerably harder than stock with no PS and 10” wide tires, the 8” wide fronts would help this, the rears are 10” wide. I put them on stock Foreman wheels, 12” steel. I had been running flipped Rincon wheels on it, but not long ago I removed a 1.5” lift and 1” spacers from the machine and was worried about the valve stem on the right rear interfering with the brake drum or getting debris caught in it. I just felt more comfortable going back with the stock type and offset rim.

Now one new set of tires would be fine enoughF but I figured while I was at it I might as well deal with some other crappy tires I have around. I had been fed up with the performance of these stupid 27” Bighorn 2’s on my Rubicon, for what I use the machine for they are garbage. If you ever encounter any mud or water on a trail you might as well have the tires off a soccer moms mini van on because the bighorns are trash on everything except hard ground. But I digress. I wanted to go with Mud Bugs on this also, I’ve ran 28” tires before on the Rubicon and was happy with them, so I went with 28” Mud Bugs. These tires are supposed to be hard to get in the US but there was no problem up here. Some have suggested that 28’s had been discontinued but the dates on my new tires being from 2017/2018 say otherwise. The 28’s come in 10” wide front and 12” wide rear, I mounted them on stock deluxe Rubicon rims.

Not one to throw out old tires that still hold air, I had the 27” Big Horns mounted on our other farm beater, this 2009 Yamaha Rhino 700.

Anyway here is the pics for everyone.

i have got an 03 Honda foreman 450 its still got the mud bugs that were put on at the factory they have 15932 km on them the fronts are 26x10x12 and the rears are 26x12x12 and there still in decent shap to

21 - 35 of 35 Posts