Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally decided to retire the old 26” Mud Bugs on my ‘01 Rancher.

Just the back story for those interested. It’s just a beat up old farm bike, but after racking up over 14,500kms (9000 miles) on these tires I decided it was time to replace. The front 26’s do still have some life left, I think if the rears had been on a full time 4wd machine their whole life they would have looked just as good. I actually ran this set of Mud Bugs on my 2005 Rincon for about 6000km before putting them on the 350 for the past 8500km or so. This is the set that sold me on Mud Bugs, I have had 27’s also, on a 450 Foreman but did not keep the bike very long. They last and last, are not super heavy, excellent traction, great on the trails. Just an all around excellent tire.

So, I decided to go with 25” this time. I felt the 26’s were robbing the 350 of some power, also the steering was considerably harder than stock with no PS and 10” wide tires, the 8” wide fronts would help this, the rears are 10” wide. I put them on stock Foreman wheels, 12” steel. I had been running flipped Rincon wheels on it, but not long ago I removed a 1.5” lift and 1” spacers from the machine and was worried about the valve stem on the right rear interfering with the brake drum or getting debris caught in it. I just felt more comfortable going back with the stock type and offset rim.

Now one new set of tires would be fine enoughF but I figured while I was at it I might as well deal with some other crappy tires I have around. I had been fed up with the performance of these stupid 27” Bighorn 2’s on my Rubicon, for what I use the machine for they are garbage. If you ever encounter any mud or water on a trail you might as well have the tires off a soccer moms mini van on because the bighorns are trash on everything except hard ground. But I digress. I wanted to go with Mud Bugs on this also, I’ve ran 28” tires before on the Rubicon and was happy with them, so I went with 28” Mud Bugs. These tires are supposed to be hard to get in the US but there was no problem up here. Some have suggested that 28’s had been discontinued but the dates on my new tires being from 2017/2018 say otherwise. The 28’s come in 10” wide front and 12” wide rear, I mounted them on stock deluxe Rubicon rims.

Not one to throw out old tires that still hold air, I had the 27” Big Horns mounted on our other farm beater, this 2009 Yamaha Rhino 700.

Anyway here is the pics for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Good write up... Sounds like those mud bugs take some abuse and last a long, long time.

Wish we had the tyre (I should I say tire?!!) choices here in England as you guys do over the pond there. We tend to have a few brand name options and then a LOT of Chinese copies with reduced quality and tread depth. Suppose the demand is a lot less here though.

Reactions: mac102004

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
You sure aren’t the first person to swear by these tires. I’ve never run a set but have heard lots of good things about them. I opted for the lightest atv tire I could get.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You sure aren’t the first person to swear by these tires. I’ve never run a set but have heard lots of good things about them. I opted for the lightest atv tire I could get.
Yes a lot of guys here across Canada seem to like them, I wish I had of put these on the Rubicon when I bought it but I like to try other tires.

Definately not as light as the Zilla's. But, the zilla's wear way faster so there is a compromise.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Those Mudbugs look like good tires,they get good reviews by users.I looked at them but since I decided I wanted to stay with 24's on the rancher looking at others.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those Mudbugs look like good tires,they get good reviews by users.I looked at them but since I decided I wanted to stay with 24's on the rancher looking at others.
Yeah I'm not sure how long it's been since Maxxis stopped making the 24" and under Mud Bugs. Might be some old stock around somewhere. Myself I'd never run smaller than 25" tires.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I LOVE tires... Good choice Mac, nice write up..

Bikes look good... Makes me wanna gfo out and buyt a new Rubi today...lol.. I miss 4 wheels...

Mud lites are great for easy going around your property... I wouldn't buy a set to beat on or put 200km on in a day...

They are soft... Making them tear...

But... It makes them exceptionally great in the snow I have noticed... I give them an A+ for that...

·
Registered
176 Posts
tear themselves apart.
I agree^^

Thank goodness shades not around for this one.
Are you talking about Shadetree,what happened to him?LoL if it's who I'm thinking,his thread I read about don't put those big azz tires on your bike,convinced me to stay with stock 24's on the rancher.

·
Premium Member
6,559 Posts
After you and Toodeep convinced me to try the Mudbugs I have slowly been switching all of my bikes over to them. Not only that, but the guys I ride with have been doing the same.

I currently have 28's on my 06 Foreman, 27's on an 09 Foreman, and 26's on the wife's Rancher. One buddy has 27's on his Rubicon (removed 26" Outlaws and says he likes the Mudbugs MUCH more) and another has 26's on his 06 Foreman.

I might go with 28's on the 300 I am doing with a 54%, and want to do 26's on another 300 I am doing with an 18%.

I won't buy any other tire if I'm buying new.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tear themselves apart.
I agree^^

Thank goodness shades not around for this one.
Are you talking about Shadetree,what happened to him?LoL if it's who I'm thinking,his thread I read about don't put those big azz tires on your bike,convinced me to stay with stock 24's on the rancher.
Shadetree means well. But he doesn't really know what he's talking about when it comes to oversized tires. There is a big difference between bolting 25" Mud Bugs on a 420 and bolting 34.5" Outlaws but Shade seems to think they will cause the same kind of carnage.

That 350 Rancher has 15,500km on it, 7000km with stock tires and 8500km with the 26" Mud Bugs. I've replaced the front wheel bearings once, it needs ball joints and tie rod ends currently as well as the left side rear wheel bearing, none of those have ever been touched since it was new. It's never broken an axle, and diff parts, nothing. If going to 1-2" oversize tires hurts the machine as bad as Shadetree makes out that it does, shouldn't I have had much more trouble than that? I'm not try to bash Shade in any way, I'm just sharing my experience. There is a point where the tires are too big, too heavy and stuff will start to break and wear faster for sure. But 1" oversize isn't it no matter what machine lol

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After you and Toodeep convinced me to try the Mudbugs I have slowly been switching all of my bikes over to them. Not only that, but the guys I ride with have been doing the same.

I currently have 28's on my 06 Foreman, 27's on an 09 Foreman, and 26's on the wife's Rancher. One buddy has 27's on his Rubicon (removed 26" Outlaws and says he likes the Mudbugs MUCH more) and another has 26's on his 06 Foreman.

I might go with 28's on the 300 I am doing with a 54%, and want to do 26's on another 300 I am doing with an 18%.

I won't buy any other tire if I'm buying new.
I wouldn't steer you wrong, the Mud Bugs are one of the best out there. I've said it before, they will take you 90% of the places Outlaws or any of the other pure mud tires will take you. I just wish they would make them in larger sizes, I think the market is there. 32" for 14's with the same wide lugs of the 25/26" bugs would be awesome for my Renegade.

·
Premium Member
6,559 Posts
Yeah, that's the only thing I don't like about the 27's and 28's is the closer spaced lugs.

Basfnb rode one if my rigs one day with the 27" Bugs and as soon as we got home he ordered a set. Said they pulled about as well as his (admittedly somewhat worn) 26" Outlaws and rode 1000x's better.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, that's the only thing I don't like about the 27's and 28's is the closer spaced lugs.

Basfnb rode one if my rigs one day with the 27" Bugs and as soon as we got home he ordered a set. Said they pulled about as well as his (admittedly somewhat worn) 26" Outlaws and rode 1000x's better.

Yeah I’ve never ran the smaller Outlaws only 29.5’s and 31’s. The Mud Bugs definitely ride better and last longer. I don’t know if the 25-26” Outlaws were as good in the mud as the 27+ it didn’t seem like they were ever very popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,559 Posts
How true to size are the bigger outlaws? Don't they run small?

I'm going to have a 54% in a 300 and I'm torn between going with something like a 29.5 Outlaw or running more 28" Mudbugs, or maybe 30" Zillas. I trail ride more than mud, so figured I would swap these 28's on when I get the machine ready and see how it does.

But I had a set of 29.5 Outlaws pop up that were cheap. I ended up passing on them due to the distance involved, but almost pulled the trigger on them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts