Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 300 4X4 factory front rack? I'm looking for a solid front to rear front rack idea?? Kolpin 6 transport.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
99 300 4X4 factory front rack? I'm looking for a solid front to rear front rack idea?? Kolpin 6 transport.
I assume you are looking for something like this, https://www.google.com/search?q=gun+rack+on+atv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjl5ua96azYAhUI74MKHZF2C4EQ_AUICygC&biw=1280&bih=604#imgrc=D0xHTdehW5XFNM: and I considered one like that, but really didn't want to deal with getting it on/off if not wanting to use the ATV for other uses, plus I do not transport a gun very far on my ATV, so I ended up going with something like this and for me it works very well https://www.google.com/search?q=gun+rack+on+atv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjl5ua96azYAhUI74MKHZF2C4EQ_AUICygC&biw=1280&bih=604#imgrc=VysrwgpSu2XM3M:

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Hmmmm, might just be my junk, but i can't open the links ..... I don't get what OP is wanting to do ether .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmmm, might just be my junk, but i can't open the links ..... I don't get what OP is wanting to do ether .
I have the Gunboot 6, hard case with travel liner to keep my rifle or shotgun from bouncing around inside the hard case. It slides inside a metal loop with bracket. I'll try to get the links from amazon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the Gunboot 6, hard case with travel liner to keep my rifle or shotgun from bouncing around inside the hard case. It slides inside a metal loop with bracket. I'll try to get the links from amazon.
https://www.gearup2go.com/kolpin-gun-boot-6-20025.html

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
https://www.gearup2go.com/kolpin-gun-boot-6-20025.html
and https://www.amazon.ca/Kolpin-20032-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XKZ15XEW995VEVACFK0S

·
Registered
160 Posts
I custom made my own brackets for Kolpin gun boots because the factory mounting brackets were not user friendly and allowed the gun boots to vibrate unless additional braces would need to be added to control the gun boot vibrating while the AVT in motion and brackets not very well made in the one size fits all universal fit brackets.

If you have any welding eq, etc you might give a custome bracket a shot

I took some 1/8 inch steel plate and made the brackets about 1 ft long and a width so as the Kolpin gun case would snug slip fit down into the custom bracket and sides approx. 8 inch high and ears welded onto the bracket so as they can be bolted onto the rear ATV rack. I have two ATV's and built a bracket for each ATV and can readily transfer the ONE Gun boot from one ATV to the other and I can also remove the gun boot rapidly from the bracket and place the Kolpin Boot with gun inside in my pickup tool box if desired.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
As Okie mentions above ...... the Kolpin mounting system is poorly designed, and will eventually crack the plastic boot. Besides that, the Kolpin 'Gun Boot' (one size fits all) is a poorly designed product also. They need to be modified to even get mediocre use satisfaction.
Make your own bracket, and stabilize the barrel part of the Gun Boot with an additional bracket.
I'll post some photo's later.

·
Registered
160 Posts
As Okie mentions above ...... the Kolpin mounting system is poorly designed, and will eventually crack the plastic boot. Besides that, the Kolpin 'Gun Boot' (one size fits all) is a poorly designed product also. They need to be modified to even get mediocre use satisfaction.
Make your own bracket, and stabilize the barrel part of the Gun Boot with an additional bracket.
I'll post some photo's later.
With my custom bracket being about 12 inchs long and about 8 inches high and a width that is a snug fit for the Kolpin case to push down into and I did not need a barrel brace to keep the case from vibrating because the bracket itself does not vibrate. The Kolpin one size fits all universal fit brackets themselves also vibrate.

I used the Rustoleum black truck bed liner instead of paint on the custom bracket. The Rustoleum truck bed liner comes in different colors and I've found it's very good instead of paint for such and even on the ATV undercarriage shields, carrying racks, winch brackets and other places on metal around the farm and ranch.
The Rustoleum brush on type bed liner that I use is from a gallon can, stores real good for long term, year or more, even after being opened if can is re-sealed good, dries fast at 70 degrees F for a second coat. But be careful, it has a Acetone base and will melt paint that has not been fully cured, so make a test first in a small place if applying over paint or primer because it may soften or lift paint and might do the same to plastic. I use the disposable cheap paint brush and good latex gloves. Read the instructions on the container or you might can review such online.
It don't show scratches and don't chip like paint and has a kinda rubber texture, bonds really good with minimum prep to a rusty metal surface.
I have not tried the spray on types, suspect the left over would not store very long in the aerosol cans.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Okie .... what position is your Gun Boot mounted ?
Mine is mounted on the right side of the front rack .... almost in a horizontal position.
Pulled back from the front far enough that the barrel portion won't hang up easily.
Where we (and many others) hunt, travelling to different areas - game is often encountered. Hence, the Gun Boot position.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
My mount is on the left side rear of the cycles. I'm constantly going thru narrow thick brush and sometimes at night when visibility is not good. The rear rack on my 86 Fourtrax looks like or similiar the one on the Yeller ATV in your pic. The custom bracket bolts onto the rear rack bar and the mount sits at a angle and the barrel portion of the Kolpin goes down between the rack bar and the tail light lens and the rear tire will kick up mud onto the Kolpin barrel portion of the plastic case on both ATV's. The Big Bear was a easier fit due to more working room at the rear rack clearance, the Honda rack bars is closer to the plastic fender and is a close fit. On some the rack bar might have to be bent or reconfigured for some of the different Kolpin cases. This type mount allows me to go through woods easily and I can leave the end cover off of the case if desired so as to get the rifle out quickly. I usually leave the end on the case to keep from scratching the gun stock going thru thick brush. I also tow a small trailer sometimes and the end of the lower portion of the Kolpin case is high enough due to the angle of the bracket that the trailer tongue swings below. I welded angled re-bar around the fenders on the trailer so as it will slide around trees instead of needing full side clearance. I have to remove the Kolpin case when hauling the ATV's in a standard sized 8 ft pickup bed with a cross type tool box so as the tail gate will close, but the Kolpin is easily removed just by wiggling and lifting out of the bracket and I can just leave my rifle in the Kolpin and place the rifled case in my LOCKED truck bed tool box.. Only thing I have to watch is if I'm backing up to not hit a tree with the case. The first one I built had a wing nut cross bolt at the top of the bracket so as I could slightly squeeze the sides of the bracket together for a tighter fit if desired but found I did not need to do such. I made one for a huntin buddy using the same arrangement and he wanted the inside of the bracket lined with indoor outdoor carpet using contact cement for a padded fit. He found that the padded fit was not really required for the hard plastic Kolpin gun case, especially if using the truck bed liner coating instead. No vibration at all of the Kolpin even at high speed.

I see you also have the same folgers cup holder that I use on my riding mowers and tractors.
On the Honda I had to mount a additional head lamp on the very front of the front rack rack so as I could see better at night when hauling stuff on the front rack due to the main headlamp getting blocked with stuff piled on the front rack.

Looks like quite a hunter camp.

I've never uploaded any pic's on this site. If I can figure it out I'll do so in few days when not hunting. It's blistering cold outside this week in this neck of the woods and archery season is still open..

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
In the picture .... my friend has a small electric pump for dispensing beverages.
Mine is the yellow 450 .... you might be able to see the mobile radios/antenna on each quad.
This is Mile 158 - Alaska Highway.

·
Registered
160 Posts
5 of 7 pictures of custom rear mount Kolpin Gun boot bracket that I made for a Honda and Yamaha ATV.
Been using this type for over 10 years on the Yamaha Big Bear with good results.

Used with a Gun Boot 4 and 007.
The lower rear rail on the Honda rack does not allow as much wiggle room for mounting as the Big Bears rack.
You can see this in one picture. I could have heated and bent the lower rail for more room and the Kolpin would have rested at a lower angle. I used Rustoleum truck bed liner on the rack and bracket and the bottom of the bracket is padded with glue in carpet but not really necessary. The gun boots have no vibration at all and allow going through the thick brush easily at night.

That is my Manx natural bob tail cat in the background.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Two additional pictures. The bracket is 1/8 inch steel plate and can be unbolted from the rear rack with 3 screws.
The Bracket is 3 inches wide, some of the later model gun boots are slightly wider, I think.
If the bracket is too wide for a Kolpin gun boot shims could be added to the sides so as the boot fits in snug.
See previous posts for more info.

First time to post pics

Weather finally broke enough to get some pic's.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Like the lining in the 'gun boot' ....... removable?

A few pic's of mine.
Overall length is 47" ..... the portion removed is visible. The Gun Boot is polypropylene. After removing the section, the larger part of the cap was heated and gently stretched so that the end would slide into it. Small fasteners were used to secure it when it cooled. There is a 'marine type' sealer made for polypropylene. The cap is completely waterproof. The handle makes for fast removal, and the handle can be removed if you prefer.
I did contact Kolpin and suggested that they offer a shorter cap as an option .... they told me to 'have a nice day' .... overall, I'm not overly impressed with this product. :|

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
The white fuzzy liner in the Kolpin Gun Boot IV (4) and the old 007 is not removable. I think maybe the IV was made both ways, liner removable and not removable. The IV's plastic case is about 1/4 inch wider than the old model 007. I had to mod the 007 end cap with latches so as it would not come off when a gun was not inside because the cap just slips on. I have one gun that has the tall turret caps for the elev and windage on the scope and the gun will fit into the IV but not into the 007 boot.

The Kolpin gun boot IV with the fuzzy felt liner is not readily available. I think the latest IV with a removable liner is called a impact but not sure.

I bought (stumbled onto) both the Kolpin IV and Kolpin factory mounting bracket on flea bay for approx $50 with free shipping. (in middle of hot summertime, hunting season closed)
I've been using the 007 type for 15 years or so on the Big Bear. Fair going price on the old 007 type from flea bay is $40 with shipping.

Most of these older models with the fuzzy felt are overpriced on flea bay, overpriced shipping, etc, but if you take your time and do a saved search one will surface every once in awhile. The old model 007 Kolpin plastic gun boots cases sold for around $45 when new 15-20 years ago.

The non removable liner types (fuzzy felt) will not worry the gun bluing if the case is secure and not vibrating. (MY 30 years old deer rifle still look almost new even though it's been in the deep rough woods every year)
I tried to use the ONE SIZE FITS ALL Kolpin mounting bracket that came with the IV on the Honda ATV, but the plastic case would have eventually broke from vibration unless additional securing braces were added and it was taking up too much room and I needed something that would stay with me going thru the brushy ATV trails in the dark so I just made another custom bracket like I had been using on the Big Bear for 15 years and installed it on the Honda.

Summary: Yes, Kolpin gun boot mounting brackets ONE SIZE FITS ALL for ATV's sucks big air for serious use and overpriced.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine is mounted on the right side of the front rack .... almost in a horizontal position.
Pulled back from the front far enough that the barrel portion won't hang up easily.
Where we (and many others) hunt, travelling to different areas - game is often encountered. Hence, the Gun Boot position.
If I could get a closeup of the left side pic, it would be great!

·
Registered
160 Posts
If I could get a closeup of the left side pic, it would be great!

Look at the pic's I uploaded in posts 14 and 15. You might have to use google chrome browser to view the pictures. For some unknown reason the Internet Explorer browser does not show the Pictures today, it's just says thumbnails. I've noticed I have to use Google Chrome on few other forums for a cleaner run also, even the typed letters upload slow???

I made the bracket to fit the Kolpin case then snug fitted the bracket onto the Kolpin and placed both into the rack and got the desired angle and position and then marked both sides of the bracket for welding on a 1 inchx 1 inch angle iron about 3 inchs long to the bracket on each side and then the bracket can be bolted with one machine screw about 10/24 size on each side after drilling a hole thru the rear rack rail and the angle iron.
You can see the mounting in the pics. I had more working room on the Yamaha Big Bear rail and fender clearance as compared to my 86 Honda. I could have removed the rear rack and heated and bent or cut and re-welded the lower rack rail right at the corner of the rack to get me another inch of wiggle room for a more user friendly fit. I had removed both the front and rear racks sometime earlier and brush painted them with Black Rustoleum truck bed liner. The truck bed liner really bonds good and dries fast. The rustoleum is also good coating to use on the brush guards in front and underneath. I also used the Rustoleum on the Custom Kolpin bracket.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts