Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just picked up a 2002 400ex. When I bought it, it wasn't in running condition. It would crank but made a nasty clunking noise. I sent out the top end and got it bored to 88mm, new wiseco piston and rings and complete new valve set up.
I put it all back together yesterday and I'm still having problems. I made sure the timing was set up right and checked the valves with a feeler gauge. Everything is where it's supposed to be. I did not replace the camshaft but checked it with a mic and it was within the specs. The bearings on the camshaft were also good. The timing chain looked good too, and lined up nice when it was set to tdc. The one chain guide was a little worn on the edges but other than that ok.
When I crank it now it still makes the nasty clunking noise it did before. I've never had a 400 before but any suggestions would be great on what to do next. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Did you check the rod bearing while you had it apart?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks! No I didn't check it. I figure at this point I have to pull it apart again! (damn this sucks) Stupid question, but how do you check? Just move the rod around and see if it has play?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, just grab the rod and try to move it up and down. If it has up and down movement at the big end of the rod, then the bearing is bad. A little side to side movement at the big end of the rod is normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts