Honda ATV Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
You'll never guess by my user name which one I'm gonna pick!! I can only speak from my experience and when I was a kid I learned to ride an 88 350d that belonged to my uncle. Then I always wanted to own one but didn't until July of last year when I bought my 87 trx 350 4x4. I have ridden it every day since then and I just can't believe how reliable it has been. I treat It good but cringe when I think of all the miles I've put on it. It doesn't matter how hot the day, nor how far I go, Its never missed a beat, stalled or done anything other than It should. Love this thing...

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Alright I'm going to have to chime in...

I've worked/lived in secluded places where ATV's are how you get around daily.

I used to work for a company that used gold share investors money to seek out new mineral sites... I ran a high hoe up by James Bay on the Eastmaine river for quite some time.

I using a 2001 Honda 350 Fourtrax as my daily driver to and from the camp and Hoe every day...... It got to the point I was getting to far out and I was just camping out sleeping in the Hoe for all the bloody animals around that have never seen humans. You can't trust them ones.

To the point....

Honda was the only reliable bikes. Everything was heavily abused by pulling trailers passenger and being over loaded going over the worst terrain possible you could think of.. There was an array of Hondas, but at the time, the early 2000's bikes on site would hold up to anything..

Yamaha was also around but not as many, a couple old big bears that were just as reliable as the Honda's..

Now, Someone got the idea to get in some artic cat machines, and they were continuously broken... Couldn't handle the trailer with the independent suspension... Bearings... Water contamination issues..

If anyone was ever going anywhere alone they got a Honda or one of the Yamaha Big Bears. It was the rule.

Some amazing equipment up there....

If you think you've driven the ultimate 4x4 you probably haven't...

You need to try an Oddwell or a skidder... Being able to drive over anything in your path is an amazing feeling..

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Alright I'm going to have to chime in...

I've worked/lived in secluded places where ATV's are how you get around daily.

I used to work for a company that used gold share investors money to seek out new mineral sites... I ran a high hoe up by James Bay on the Eastmaine river for quite some time.

I using a 2001 Honda 350 Fourtrax as my daily driver to and from the camp and Hoe every day...... It got to the point I was getting to far out and I was just camping out sleeping in the Hoe for all the bloody animals around that have never seen humans. You can't trust them ones.

To the point....

Honda was the only reliable bikes. Everything was heavily abused by pulling trailers passenger and being over loaded going over the worst terrain possible you could think of.. There was an array of Hondas, but at the time, the early 2000's bikes on site would hold up to anything..

Yamaha was also around but not as many, a couple old big bears that were just as reliable as the Honda's..

Now, Someone got the idea to get in some artic cat machines, and they were continuously broken... Couldn't handle the trailer with the independent suspension... Bearings... Water contamination issues..

If anyone was ever going anywhere alone they got a Honda or one of the Yamaha Big Bears. It was the rule.

Some amazing equipment up there....

You need to try an Oddwell or a skidder... Being able to drive over anything in your path is an amazing feeling..
You mean Noddwell? I always found those Foremost Commanders to be impressive machines...but I suppose that is more oilfield than where you were at.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
^^^

Yes a Noddwell!

Thank you Mac..

It was all frenchmen up there so the N was silent!

They were old machines with non turbo GM diesels... Yellow.

We used them to transport our fuels..

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
I kind of figured that LOL. I've seen them used a lot out in Alberta/BC as well, I actually seen one set up as a drill unit recently here in NS, but I'm not 100% sure what they were doing with it. There isn't much that can stop them, that's for sure. Get it stuck and your in deep trouble. I believe Foremost still makes them, same company that builds the Commander I mentioned.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
^^^

Yes a Noddwell!

Thank you Mac..

It was all frenchmen up there so the N was silent!

They were old machines with non turbo GM diesels... Yellow.

We used them to transport our fuels..
Haha! "Un Oddwell osti!". We had a buddy (one of those real frenchies) on the woodlot who could speak English. We'd ask him what words he knew and he'd just yell out "SPARK PLUG, MUFFLER".

I'd love to get myself a skidder for the wood lot! Maybe in a couple more years.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts

You need to try an Oddwell or a skidder ...... Being able to drive over anything in your path is an amazing feeling ......
Guessing that you were referring to 'Nodwell' all terrain machines ...... from Calgary.
And yes ....... a skidder is the ultimate 4x4. My favorite is the now ancient 404 Timberjack. Great machine. Good power/weight ratio, but would make a stone go deaf. Ran one for many years.

·
Registered
698 Posts
So far, my most reliable OHVs have been: 1983 ATC 110, 2003 Honda 300EX, 2004 Honda 400EX, 2016 Honda Rancher 4x4 DCT EPS. They have all been reliable and fun.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts

You need to try an Oddwell or a skidder ...... Being able to drive over anything in your path is an amazing feeling ......

Guessing that you were referring to 'Nodwell' all terrain machines ...... from Calgary.

And yes ....... a skidder is the ultimate 4x4. My favorite is the now ancient 404 Timberjack. Great machine. Good power/weight ratio, but would make a stone go deaf. Ran one for many years.

Detroit in those wasn't there? Not exactly the words quietest engines. Two speeds, idle and WFO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nothing better than a screaming detroit lol. The old GM diesels had a wonderful tune as well

41 - 54 of 54 Posts