Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ive had the best luck mtself on the old honda fourtrax 300s ive got one now thats got ele problems but when i get her up and going i know she last another 20 plus years

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Ive had the best luck mtself on the old honda fourtrax 300s ive got one now thats got ele problems but when i get her up and going i know she last another 20 plus years
You'll get it friend. the old 300 is an oldie but a goodie.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i think its the coil or cdi i aint getting any fire but if anyone can pm and try to help it be really great lol just trying to bring this thing back to life

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Did ya tap the CDI while cranking it? If it tries to fire than a CDI box is in order. Wouldn't hurt to install a new plug too, they can wear out, I have an iridium plug in mine, but I'd do that and a wiring check.

·
Registered
19 Posts
yeah tryed new plug no spark with it either. i went and bought a multimeter but i dont have a battery in the honda will it be safe to hook it up to a small car battery with jumper cables to get the readings i need with my multi meter

·
Registered
10 Posts
i would say the most reliable atv i have ever had was a suzuki ozark 250. It gets brutally driven, no regular maintenence, carries more weight than it should (we use it to shuttle 6 people at a time across a creek sometimes), and not even a single problem from it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
definatly an old fourtrax

·
Registered
52 Posts
Old Honda's in my opinion. I grew up riding them from atc's into atvs and typically they got little to no maintenance and still kept going. We still have the 250 that my dad bought in the late 80's used and it got beat up by me and my two brothers and used non stop for almost 30 years and it's had a few oil changes a starter and a couple spark plugs. I'm not suggesting to use a machine that hard without fixing it I certainly wouldn't now. But it held up better than any other machine I've seen. That's the reason I own a bunch of Honda's now from 71-87 motorcycles and atc/atvs. If they aren't screwed with they last almost forever.

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
Honda's..hands down !. I've owned nothing but Honda..and the number 1 reason I've owned nothing but Honda ?..they just don't die if you take care of them !!!.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
yamaha timberwolf/moto 4's, 300 fourtrax, and all honda atcs

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had a new 99 recon my dad bought for me and ran it every single day and never the first problem out of it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
From years of riding, talking to plenty of customers about what machines they have owned, and seeing the types of issues that have come up on here with a variety of makes, models, and years, the Honda 300's and 350's seem to be the best for longevity and reliability. Will agree that proper maintenance and lack of abuse will give most machines a good life, but the 300's and the 350's seem to hold up under neglect as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Honda are the best period I've owned a Yamaha and a polaris and then bought my dads Honda that was beat the crap up all its life had mud on it since we owned it washed it off prolly a dozen times in the 15 years he has owned it and idk if he changed the oil very often but it is a beast just have had driveterrain problems but never failed to run ever even in the coldest of weather and I did just currently change the oil

·
Premium Member
12,330 Posts
I was reading last night that the TRX300 was built from 88-2000 and between those years 530,000 of them were built , the most of any ATV by far >

·
Registered
87 Posts
TRX300 personal favorite!
I remember the first one I saw was in 88/89. Buddy got it. Our community had TRX200, SX200, blaster, Lt125, Honda 125, 250x and 200SX. The 300 was best all around atv I'd ever saw.
But the toughest atv I ever saw was LT125 Suzuki. Would beat you to death. But you can't kill em. Got an 83 that still puts like a kitten.

·
Registered
201 Posts
What year did they make a blue 300? 89-90? I bought one new. The next model was the Orange 350, bought one new, late 90s. Those were as well built as the 86? 250 Big Red I owned. The 2008 Rancher has also been bulletproof. I haven't owned the 2015 Rubicon long enough yet, but seems the most capable, best riding Honda 4X4 yet.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts