Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Honda Rancher 350 ES and that thing is unbelievable. Its got around 8,000 miles on it. I use it for mainly plowing and mud bogging. I don't ride it lightly. But just currently There was an oil leak I didn't know of and the engine is toast. I am rebuilding it in the spring. I had to replace the whole differential a few years back because the bolts had sheared through the casing. Other than that, I love it and I would get another one any day.

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
the most reliable ATV, is a loaded question
and no real answer to it
as it all comes down if you ask em, to how its taken care of, and ridden
Honda's are known to be long lived
and have the rep for it
but if you abuse any ATv they will fail , and a part failure is and can happen at any time on any make atv too

but a motor going bad due to low oil, is a riders fail, not the atv, oil should be checked before every ride(I know it doesn't happen lol)
but it should, so not doing so come's in at owner's fault and not atv's
no motor of any brand will last long without oil LOL

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
While Honda seems to be the most reliable brand of atv, the most reliable model is most likely the one which is cared for, and well-maintained.
My 300 is a shining example of this. I havent run it since grandpa passed Dec 26th, and started it up first time since then and it ran like a top.

·
Premium Member
11,311 Posts
Most Honda drivetrains,and engines are overbuilt while the engine is de tuned,or built for lower horsepower numbers which along with the stout drivetrain makes for a very long lived,simple to work on,very reliable machine,and the 3fitties are right up there with the legendary 300s,350Ds seeing as it is basically a revamped,newer version of them built with Honda reliability built in...Kinda like the older Toyotas which were built to really tight tolerances,over built ,but with anemic power levels which turned them into million mile machines..The Japanese knew/know what they were/are doing...If you take care of it even while abusing it it will still perform,and keep on ticking long after some other brands would have broken,or worn out...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Most Honda drivetrains,and engines are overbuilt while the engine is de tuned,or built for lower horsepower numbers which along with the stout drivetrain makes for a very long lived,simple to work on,very reliable machine,and the 3fitties are right up there with the legendary 300s,350Ds seeing as it is basically a revamped,newer version of them built with Honda reliability built in...Kinda like the older Toyotas which were built to really tight tolerances,over built ,but with anemic power levels which turned them into million mile machines..The Japanese knew/know what they were/are doing...If you take care of it even while abusing it it will still perform,and keep on ticking long after some other brands would have broken,or worn out...
The 04-05 trx450r engine is the most gimped out motor ever. lol

For example, the whole engine is obviously derived from the crf450r which makes over 50 hp stock. Smaller valves, horrible exhaust, bad porting, REALLY low compression when compared to other sport quads, a way smaller cam, and different timing all make the engine produce up to 20 hp less. Thank you EPA

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I must reliable atv in my mind is the 300 I know the newer quads with smooth suspension more get up and go automatic trans is all really nice but i'll take a 300 any day of the week

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
The most reliable ATV is the one that is taken care of and maintained properly

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
^^^^x2 that is a very good point But some atv's have problems from the very start,those 110cc Chinese quads we took really good care of it and it did not last 2 tanks and it need a new engine and fuel tank^^^^

·
Registered
88 Posts
Two thumbs up to Honda being one bulletproof machine! I've owned Honda atvs since the late seventies and can count the problems I've had on one hand and they were very minor ones at that. But I also believe that proper maintenance and also the way the machine is ran during it's break in adds a lot to it's reliability.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i had a 97 recon that the motor was so loose in the engine mounts from so much use it vibrated, it leaked a ton of oil, and chugged like you wouldnt believe and had a going clutch. but no matter what anyone did to that thing it just kept going. i would buy another one any day of the week.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
^^^^x2 that is a very good point But some atv's have problems from the very start,those 110cc Chinese quads we took really good care of it and it did not last 2 tanks and it need a new engine and fuel tank^^^^
That bad huh jake? Why did they go??

·
Registered
82 Posts
ya it was terrible, it came from a line of farms and he blew it up a few times becuase he let it run out of oil. you had to hold the shifting lever up otherwise it would creek and when you dropped it it started going. and like the oil drain plug was stripped so to change the oil you had to tip it on its side to get the oil to leak out. i sold it to a guy for 350 and its still prob. going. heres a link of it running when it sounded a little better honda recon 250 ride - YouTube and heres another just so you can kind of hear the chugging it sounded worse in person honda recon review and start - YouTube also the electric start stopped working so i had to pull start it. but it wouldnt die.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Wow that's a bunch of problems.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts