Honda ATV Forum banner

More than likely a plugged jet here, but......

946 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  cantankerous 
#1 ·
I got fresh pure gas in the beast but it will not idle unless I use the enrichment valve (Choke) so mechanic said the pilot jet is probably gummed up but when I looked at what it takes to tear this carb apart according to the Clymer manual, I got cold feet since my mechanical skills are limited.

Rather than buying a rebuild kit for this carb which looks like an aftermarket carb already since I can find no name on it and who knows how old it is, I decided to gamble and buy a cheap Chinese knock off for around $33.

These fake carbs have a lot of reviews, around 2/3rds are good and 8% real negative and the biggest complaint is the wrong fitting to plug in the "heater" for the carb...So here is my question...exactly what is a "heater" and what is its purpose? If this wire is not hooked up, and the rig run only in temps above 50, does it really affect the performance that much? The posts say they just take the old heater wire from the old carb and use it instead to solve the plug in problem and other complaints are the fuel hose won't fit since the plug inlet on the carb is pointing the other way.

I plan on putting in an in line filter anyway so might get a new longer hose. My machine is a 2004 350 Rancher BTW.

Has anyone here on the forums had any luck with these cheap carbs? Mine is on the way and I already took the old carb off.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Taking the carb off was pretty simple..I already had the seat and all the plastics off with all the new parts I put into this thing.

If the carb was the original Made In Japan one from the factory, I would rebuid it but this one has no name on it so it is already a cheap Chinese knock off and who knows how old it is.

I looked at the blow up of all the parts inside this carb and everytime I worked on a carb for some reason i end up with leaks from the float bowl not seating no mater how careful I am.

I figured I would screw it up with some spring flying off into the wilderness and then no carb so this new one is supposed to arrive in 3 more days and am gambling it will be a good one.

I can clean the other carb and have it ready to go in case this one goes south in a hurry. I just need to get the ATV going so I can put the 25 gallon weed sprayer on it and take these weeds down. Still curious of what purpose the "heater" is for this carb.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Eric: thanks again for the info. I will not be driving this in the Winter, will drain the carb bowl and put the battery on trickle during the cold months. If the heater plug is the wrong fit I will just cover the end and secure it without hooking it up.

I will do the jet removal/cleaning in the upside down mode as you suggested. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.