Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, first time poster here. I picked up what turned out to be a “30 footer” of a 2003 Rancher 350 this week and I’m starting to work through the gremlins. One of the projects is repairing the meter display, and I’ve seen several threads and YouTube videos describing the process of removing and replacing the polarizing film. I think I’ve got more questions than answers now though -

if you used adhesive film, did you test fit it before adhering, or just put it on the same orientation as the film? And

if you used non-adhesive film, how’d you get it to stay in the right place during and after reassembly?

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I used brake fluid and steel wool to scrub the scratches out of the screen cover. It worked great. If it is still cloudy, apply some polishing sealant.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used brake fluid and steel wool to scrub the scratches out of the screen cover. It worked great. If it is still cloudy, apply some polishing sealant.
That’s a job I will need to do also. Saw a guy on YouTube use 2000 grit sandpaper to wet sand the lens then polish with headlight restorer I think?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what I’m starting with. I started wet polishing the lens with some 2000 grit sandpaper and have made a little progress. Still unsure if the adhesive or non-adhesive polarizing film is best to use on the actual LCD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why do you think the polarizing film is the problem?
The screen driver could be bad.
good question.....I don’t know what a screen driver is. The film seems to be a relatively easy fix, so I’m going that route first. There is information displayed on the LCD, but it’s covered up by the big spots that you see in the picture. If the film doesn’t fix it, it’ll just have to stay unreadable. Glad to receive an education in screen drivers though!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, I removed the top surface lcd film and....didn’t help. The 2 circles in the center of the screen are actually bubbles in the white material of the acrylic. Not sure what to do now. Wondering if there is a different type of film for the bottom surface of the lcd? Or remove the white backing on the acrylic?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I’ve found a guy that specializes in restoring lcd gauges and displays on boats and has quoted me a price for restoring my display that’s not much more than what I’ve already spent on (returnable) parts. Problem is they’ve asked for bench test instructions before they’ll accept it, since they primarily work on boat gauges. Anyone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shipping my meter off to the guy I mentioned today. Quoted me 50 bucks, and I’m almost that deep in materials try to and do it myself. Will post pics of the results!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts