Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,387 Posts
I think there are a few species of hornets and more than one ground hornet , this one came out a hole at the base of a tree in the dirt , I would say some type of ground hornet ------I am not sure if it is the same thing but have heard them called European warps , the pic is bad cause he been dead for 36 hours before the pic , they are bright yellow and black

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Did it look close to this (ground hornet) ? I really can't make out your pic .....kind. Of odd no one here has had a run in with killer swarming bees ??

I jumped off my tractor while bushhogging, ran along side for a few seconds until the hornets left and then with a perfectly timed jump I'm driving again.
That's sketchy ...had a good friend get hurt just like that! .he was running long side, went to jump back on and the tire caught his leg... Ended broken in two places... I hazard a guess what would have happened if he'd been bushoging., But I can't say too much.... I pull those stunts to. (Dangerous time savers)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,689 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Bout that size ? Cause the Japanese hornet looks close (kind of the same colors) but much much bigger. .... I've seen the jap breed take down cicadas bugs (many times) but I've never tangled with one of um.

And i think there ground dwellers @ least they are in some of my hay fields ....

This is a scale pic... He's maybe 1 1/2 ??

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
I got this @zz a while back.... (Posted in Mrbbs pic thread) i sat and watched for a while... I've never seen any critter rip the soil up so fast, You can see the destruction, The 870 super mag (full choke) stopped the issue, and yep, it jumped up bout a foot, even with a shot like this, and of corse the shot set a car alarm off @ 3 am ...haha! :devil

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/around-garage/102114-just-some-pic-14.html#post1278916

Bump^^
strangest mole i ever seen :grin
the ground hornet i seen seen in louisville, was 2,5" to 3'' long. only time i ever seen one that big. the one out here, i poured something down the nest hole, to kill it..
i got enough strange family, without a family of giant ground wasps, living here :smile

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Hey, Ted, I'd take a FEW moles ANY DAY, over that destructive critter.lol, apparently you've never had an issue with um ??

Edit:
the ground hornet i seen seen in louisville, was 2,5" to 3'' long. only time i ever seen one that big.
Probably a Japanese wasp/hornet , I've seen um that size ^^^ pic

·
Premium Member
12,387 Posts
I seen the Japanese hornets on TV and they are as big as flying moles ------- what's up with the hornet and the locus , death grip and they both died

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Hey, Ted, I'd take a FEW moles ANY DAY, over that destructive critter.lol, apparently you've never had an issue with um ??

Edit:
the ground hornet i seen seen in louisville, was 2,5" to 3'' long. only time i ever seen one that big.
Probably a Japanese wasp/hornet , I've seen um that size ^^^ pic
not yet, an i dont want to.. was a nest of small ground hornet's, over next door that didnt like my atv, course they stung me. i made a point to get rid of them right fast. i found the nest. that was the end of that. not during the day of course,, i got rid of them..
never got stung by one of the big ones.

on the side that picture of what look's like an armadillo, is the biggest mole i ever seen :devil

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Are you referring Pic i posted On page 23 ?? Cause That's not a mole.....

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Update. Well.... the (California side walk) treatment worked .... Not as good as i thought, i had another mole take over the tunnels! so...... Just before heading out (yesterday morning) i went out with the 870 super mag aka the b---h loaded with with just plain bird shot, n full choke, and a cup of coffee, now let me say this, I'VE HAD IT WITH MOLES ROOTING UP MY LAWN!! And This little s--t got it point blank! I heard most of him, and soil rain down in the trees!! Finally ..... I'm rid of um!

·
Premium Member
12,387 Posts
Update. Well.... the (California side walk) treatment worked .... Not as good as i thought, i had another mole take over the tunnels! so...... Just before heading out (yesterday morning) i went out with the 870 super mag aka the b---h loaded with with just plain bird shot, n full choke, and a cup of coffee, now let me say this, I'VE HAD IT WITH MOLES ROOTING UP MY LAWN!! And This little s--t got it point blank! I heard most of him, and soil rain down in the trees!! Finally ..... I'm rid of um!

That's funny ! " They will be back . maybe offspring coming home to have a family of their own , " ----- I am on a mission today to drown them all , in recycled Coors Lite

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
(On a mission) Yah.... You and me both!

I'd just like to know why they came back so degum bad this year, last year there was only one, and before that, not a single mole for over five years! And i always have grub worms around the soil where i pile fire wood (right close to the fire breathing dragon) go figure...

·
Registered
613 Posts
@fishfiles confessed , " ----- I am on a mission today to drown them all , in recycled Coors Lite."

Today's weather forecast calls for 97 degrees with high humidity. Expect intermittent Coors sprinkles during the daylight hours, but becoming more severe in the late afternoon around the Bayou Le'Combe area. 10% change of light flooding.

LMAO.......

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
interesting weather forecast.... Lmao! Glad I'm up here in Tn away from the flood.

Hey fish, i forgot to mention they (moles) have never invaded the (grub loaded) soil around the wood pile.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
propane cart

wait till i get a lightweight cart to pull the propane tank around. i got an aluminum rod bout 4' long and some sparklers to ignite the propane once i drop propane in the mole tunnel.
Caddyshack; KY :grin

·
Premium Member
12,387 Posts
a propane tank fits perfect on a walk behind golf club cart , I had one setup with a long burner wand , used it to burn the dead grass after the round up dried it up ----seems the grass/weeds come back faster if I burned it

21 - 40 of 57 Posts