Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone that I ride with occasionally bought his wife a brand new 420 with a lot of extras about 1 month ago , it is a very pretty white bike that is decked out , the front hydraulic brake master cylinder would let the pressure go when you held it in , in other words , you pulled the lever in and as you were holding it in , it would slowly let the pressure go till there was none ------so he takes it back to the "Friendly" local dealership where he bought it here in Slidell La. , he was hoping they would just change it for him in a day if they had it in stock , or if they had to order one then he could bring the bike back when the part came in and not tie the bike up , part of what they told him I think is " crazy ", he had to leave the bike there in line for repair , when his turn came up they would take the cylinder off the bike and " then they were going to send it back to Honda for analysis of why it went out so quick and in a way they never seen before " , so they were going to tie the bike up for a couple of weeks , he bought a master off of e-bay and changed it himself and hoped they would send the old one back for replacement , by they seem to wanted no part of that

another dealer story from this week , my buddy bought a 2016 Yamaha top of the line jet ski , like 250 horse powered super charged screamer , put 20 hours on it and the timing chain blew up and took out the inners of the engine , he wanted a new ski as he did a lot of reading and found that the 2016 had a problem that became a recall on the timing chain and they said no way he would ever get a new one from Yamaha , they were going to rebuild it , he told them to stop that he didn't want that ski back and he ssaid they told him that he was " barking up the wrong tree " , he got a good lawyer free as he is married into the family , he told me this week that after 6 months they sent him a letter offering 3 options , 1) give all the money back and they take the ski back , 2) replace that engine with an engine that had the timing chain upgrades , 3) give him a 2017 ski brand new for the money he already paid , he isn't sure what he is going to do yet , he told me the 2017 HP has been raised to like 280 , which is too much for the novice rider I think

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
dang bro, he should have asked me about the Yamaha wave runner cam chains breaking !. ( no, my year/make is not in that recall list ), I read a ton about the super charged models having cam chains breaking, and yes, IT IS,WAS A DEFFECT FROM YAMAHA !. cam chains were made from a bad group of metal. a ton of 2014, 2015,2016 owners were all having them break the cam chains, destroying the engines. he better take the 2017 model...AND RUN WITH IT !. or buy a lower model ?. mine is the fx cruiser ho , none of these have this cam chain issue.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
have him go to greenhulk personal watercraft forums. ( I am a member there too..lol ) and read up on all the cam chains breaking on the super charged models.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
last but not least, I love my 2015 Yamaha fx cruiser ho, not one problem so far ?, 180hp , and it is great !.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
As far as that HONDA 420 goes I would of told that dealer if they don't have the part THEY COULD TAKE THE PART OFF A SHOW ROOM BIKE.. I did it with a snowmobile once. They said they couldn't fix the clutch because they didn't have the part.. LOL I said to the guy bullsh(# I see a part right now.. He said where?? I SAID SITTING RIGHT THERE.. TAKE IT OFF AND GIVE ME IT.. lol He took the clutch off and gave me it right then and there.. Problem solved.. Brand new clutch...

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
ok MY take, and its based on several experiences over the yrs
first the Honda
sadly teh dealer HAS the right to do what he did, SUCKs and that is what makes the difference between a GOOD dealer ship and a crappy one, customer service is a dead thing these days in far too many places
they take work in , as if your waiting in line, don't care if one repair is a 5 minute job over someone's 2 day tear down
they DO NOT have to take a part off a machine they have to make you GOOD, that is a curtsy, a GOOD dealer would do to MAKE you happy and want to do more business with them down the road
this dealer apparently doesn't care

NEXT, once your friend removed the PART/'s, they cannot (well again a GOOD dealer can say THEY removed the parts) warranty them, yes sounds stupid, but its the way the world of warranty's mostly work today, MUST be done by authorized dealers to me honored?? if you follow
its there way of NOT having customer do work themselves and NOT HAVE PAY a dealership for it!! forcing your hands to PAY them, SCAM< but its the way it is!

NOW< back to a GOOD dealer, yes they can turn a blind eye to things, I call it the GRAY area in life we all know is there and gets used a LOT, some folks wish to be jerks and won't let you in there inner circle of gray some will!

as for the Yamaha, again, its the game, warranty says FIX "X" part or machine, NOT replace it with a another or new one
IF they OFFER to fix, and you refuse , you can find yourself out 100% on your own, you DON"T want to get into a legal match with them, the costs will far out pass the value of the machine!
the case your friend has a family LAWYER in the mix, I gather saves SOME< but at some point they will start loosing money if they keep going!
NOW< if the machine was in the LEMON LAW side of things, YES , he could WIN and end up with a NEW machine

but since its a recall part with a FIX and there willing to PAY for it, the offers he's got are better than I would be a guy without a lawyer on his side would get!
he should think them over and go with what he FEELS is his best offer, as at this point, sadly, he is screwed on forcing there hand

if he thinks he can, he will loose, as they can pull them offer I bet at WILL
as for a high HP being too much for a NEW rider, HECK yes, but from a 250 to a 280 hp, it ain't THAT big a difference, he is already in over his experience level with the 250, so splitting hairs about the 30 more hp worries??

sadly this all again comes down to the dealership and HOW they wish to start the ball rolling
a GREAT dealer will do wonders to TAKE YOUR SIDE, and get things going
sounds to me like BOTH dealerships, didn;t care a bit about a single sale or either customers return business!
and that IS the norm today, folks are viewed as replaceable , and a sucker is born every second is never truer in the sales world!

its why when you FIND a good dealer or COMPANY, that has GREAT customer service, folks brag and return, cause its so RARE today!

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was talking with him yesterday , his letter of options is from Yamaha and not from the dealership he bought it from , so I told him that after the dealer sent him to the dogs , I would take the 2017 but not from that same dealer , I'd take the money back and go buy from another dealer and make that dealer lose the sale if possible , the next dealer is only 25 minutes down the road -----

we rode with the people last night that had the master cylinder issue , the master he bought off e-bay is totally different than the OEM , it has a lever on it for the emergency brake where the OEM didn't , so now she has emergency brakes on both the left cable to the rear and the on the master cylinder lever to the front

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
ok MY take, and its based on several experiences over the yrs
first the Honda
sadly teh dealer HAS the right to do what he did, SUCKs and that is what makes the difference between a GOOD dealer ship and a crappy one, customer service is a dead thing these days in far too many places
they take work in , as if your waiting in line, don't care if one repair is a 5 minute job over someone's 2 day tear down
they DO NOT have to take a part off a machine they have to make you GOOD, that is a curtsy, a GOOD dealer would do to MAKE you happy and want to do more business with them down the road
this dealer apparently doesn't care

NEXT, once your friend removed the PART/'s, they cannot (well again a GOOD dealer can say THEY removed the parts) warranty them, yes sounds stupid, but its the way the world of warranty's mostly work today, MUST be done by authorized dealers to me honored?? if you follow
its there way of NOT having customer do work themselves and NOT HAVE PAY a dealership for it!! forcing your hands to PAY them, SCAM< but its the way it is!

NOW< back to a GOOD dealer, yes they can turn a blind eye to things, I call it the GRAY area in life we all know is there and gets used a LOT, some folks wish to be jerks and won't let you in there inner circle of gray some will!

as for the Yamaha, again, its the game, warranty says FIX "X" part or machine, NOT replace it with a another or new one
IF they OFFER to fix, and you refuse , you can find yourself out 100% on your own, you DON"T want to get into a legal match with them, the costs will far out pass the value of the machine!
the case your friend has a family LAWYER in the mix, I gather saves SOME< but at some point they will start loosing money if they keep going!
NOW< if the machine was in the LEMON LAW side of things, YES , he could WIN and end up with a NEW machine

but since its a recall part with a FIX and there willing to PAY for it, the offers he's got are better than I would be a guy without a lawyer on his side would get!
he should think them over and go with what he FEELS is his best offer, as at this point, sadly, he is screwed on forcing there hand

if he thinks he can, he will loose, as they can pull them offer I bet at WILL
as for a high HP being too much for a NEW rider, HECK yes, but from a 250 to a 280 hp, it ain't THAT big a difference, he is already in over his experience level with the 250, so splitting hairs about the 30 more hp worries??

sadly this all again comes down to the dealership and HOW they wish to start the ball rolling
a GREAT dealer will do wonders to TAKE YOUR SIDE, and get things going
sounds to me like BOTH dealerships, didn;t care a bit about a single sale or either customers return business!
and that IS the norm today, folks are viewed as replaceable , and a sucker is born every second is never truer in the sales world!

its why when you FIND a good dealer or COMPANY, that has GREAT customer service, folks brag and return, cause its so RARE today!
it's called, WORD OF MOUTH !..LOL. no other thing matters in this world of biz ?, than someone down the line telling the next person who to go to for something than YOU !.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
before I bought my Yamaha jet ski ? ( which was about a years worth of looking, reading, checking models out ), I found a chit load of info all bad about the super charged Yamaha waverunners !. mind you, I also did not have 18k to fork out..lol. I settled on the fx cruiser ho, because there were no problems from these models as far back as I could tell ?, and the price was perfect, alittle over 14k out the door for my ski, another 1k for the trailer. very happy with my purchase. I do not know if Yamaha fixed the cam chains on the newer models in 2017 ?, as I have not been on the ski forums for some time ?. but I do know for a fact, Yamaha was not admitting to the defective cam chains !.

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the local dealer told him the 2017 engines have been upgraded to take care of the chain problem ------ at least he paid for it at sale so he doesn't have a note to deal with , but to put up that kind of money and only get 20 hours of use out of it , then have nothing for 6 months is a bummer

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
the local dealer told him the 2017 engines have been upgraded to take care of the chain problem ------ at least he paid for it at sale so he doesn't have a note to deal with , but to put up that kind of money and only get 20 hours of use out of it , then have nothing for 6 months is a bummer
he better be thankful he's getting it taken care of ?, because when all this started ?, Yamaha was not admitting it was a defective product !..lol. then when the motors all started coming in for cam chains ?, they started to weed through all the bad ski's, and said ok, we'll take care of this on one ski at a time..lol.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Sounds like one would be better off buying a Honda waverunner.

I rode one last summer. It had way more power than I need.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
we rode with the people last night that had the master cylinder issue , the master he bought off e-bay is totally different than the OEM , it has a lever on it for the emergency brake where the OEM didn't , so now she has emergency brakes on both the left cable to the rear and the on the master cylinder lever to the front
Sounds like that might be a good upgrade since Honda rear brakes never work long.

At least that way you always have a working ebrake.

Have a link?

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Sounds like one would be better off buying a Honda waverunner.

I rode one last summer. It had way more power than I need.
Honda waverunners are fading away, you won't see many new models here soon from what I heard.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Here in Tucson the family owned dealership is on the way out. Fortunately one of the remaining family Cycle business is the Honda dealer. Good sales, good parts and good service.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts