Honda ATV Forum banner

Maxxis Zillas or Itp Mud lite Xls' & size for honda foreman 500

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
I know its a little late , but hands down Zillas. I have 27's on my 09 rancher AT, but I tried mudlite xl, and xtr all 27" the zillas r lighter than others and dig better and cost less. You can get a full set on ebay with Alum. rims for around $600.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've never had trouble with my 26" Mudlites XL , they love the mud and are pretty smooth on the hard packed. In my area Mudlites are 20% less expensive than Zillas , so it makes for an easier choice:icon_ peace:

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I run the Mudlites, but I haven't tried the Zillas.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rincons at work have mudlites and I'm putting 26" zillas on mine in the next few weeks... I'll let you know but everything I have heard is the Zillas are the new best tire out there.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I'd like to know where you can get 27" zillas on aluminum rims for 600 bucks? I havn't even seen the tires that cheap. I run 27" mudlites and love em.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Mud Lites are radials

·
Registered
535 Posts
Ah yeah, I thought that's what he was talking about...my reading comprehension was weak that day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've ran both anywhere from a yamaha big bear 400 to a can am outty and i say go with mudd lites if you do more mudd riding but if you mainly trail ride the zillas give a smoother ride.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the mudlites have side wall issues. Its what a large portion of other forums say (no personal exp with them), this is why zillas get my vote, provided its not always on hard packed trails. On hard packed they wear out fast.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
i run mudlites on my foreman and they have done exceptionally well, they got my vote because i dont have my own personal experience with the zillas but they look very inticing

·
Premium Member
11,311 Posts
I like the 3 sets of Mudlites (including one set of XLRs) I have now..All of them ride far smoother than the Zillas I had before,and they are lasting longer when riding hard pan,pavement,dirt,mud,sand,etc. as well,seem to pull as well except when the going gets Louisiana swamp deep,thick,and gooey the Zillas self cleaned,and pulled a little better,but were not worth the extra dough they cost,the quicker wearing,or the harsher ride I experienced...Theres a used set of Zillas 28-10-12,and 28-12-12s on aluminum wheels(4/110mm) up for auction on feebay with I would say close to 80% tread remaining for 199.99 plus 72 bux shipping right now. Item number 170637328658..The wheels look like 4 fronts to me...

·
Premium Member
11,311 Posts
Maxxis Zillas vs. Itp Mud Lite Xl's? I am riding the 2009 Honda Foreman 500
Also,unless you have done quite a bit of hopping up that 500,you would prolly be better off staying under 27s,or even go with a 26" tall tire if you wish to be able to pull them with any kind of authority in any gear other than 1st,or spin them really hard in the thicker stuff...:r_c:

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I think the mudlites have side wall issues. Its what a large portion of other forums say (no personal exp with them), this is why zillas get my vote, provided its not always on hard packed trails. On hard packed they wear out fast.
They do, kinda. Its not so much an issue with just the sidewall as it is with the whole tire. To save weight the Mudlite uses a soft rubber compound. It makes the tire lighter than most its size, but not as hard. So they will puncture easier. However, the off brand Supergrip Lite is supposed to correct this issue by having the same tread design, but harder sidewalls and a little heavier. I hear good things from them. Here is a few pics from my experience with ridind railroad tracks and brushing against the side of a rail.
Its about a inch and a half long.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
Ouch! yeah i run the super grip super lites and am extremely pleased with them. they have the built in rim guard as well, plus they're cheaper, cant beat that

1 - 20 of 47 Posts