Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hearing mixed results about the zillas for snow.. Some say good for snow, some say bad? Do they tend to dig too much? Or is this more to do with the machine weight and the tenique of your driving?? I have made my mind upp to go with the 27 inch zillas on a 14 inch rim for my 09 rancher 420 AT/IRS.. I live in montana and encounter snow often. The bighorn 2.0 was another choice but I like the benefit of having a good mud tire too, as we can get some nasty mud holes come hunting season

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am hearing mixed results about the zillas for snow.. Some say good for snow, some say bad? Do they tend to dig too much? Or is this more to do with the machine weight and the tenique of your driving?? I have made my mind upp to go with the 27 inch zillas on a 14 inch rim for my 09 rancher 420 AT/IRS.. I live in montana and encounter snow often. The bighorn 2.0 was another choice but I like the benefit of having a good mud tire too, as we can get some nasty mud holes come hunting season
Just wondering, what quad are you riding?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
09 rancher 420 AT w/IRS

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I stated that in the thread...:smile:

·
Registered
137 Posts
09 rancher 420 AT w/IRS
This isnt the exact thing, but its the best thing I could find for Zillas in the snow. Good for mudding at least, as for snow, this guy seems to be doing fine

YouTube - renegade 800 with 28" zillas

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about wetter snow..Looks like his is mostly powder and not too deep.. How about like 14" of sloppy wet snow?? any ideas??

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes, but if you get stuck in the snow, you get stuck in the snow. Trust me I know by experience.... Having 4wd is a big help. I ride in snow all the time, especially when I go up north for bear season. The only trouble Ive ever had in snow was with my 1995 Yamaha Blaster (no figure) As long as you dont stop, snow isnt that bad at all, its when you let go of the throttle that you get into trouble. If you want them ONLY for snow, then I would say no, but if you plan on mudding and stuff anyway, if you can find a good deal on them, why not :smile:

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Usually a tire with a tight tread lug pattern makes a better snow tire. There's more lugs to bite in and grip the snow. That's just opposite of a mud tire which needs to have the lugs spaced far apart so the mud will sling out when the tire spins. That being said, a good mud tire on a 4X4 usually does pretty good in snow anyway, but I'm just saying a tighter lug pattern will probably do better. If you're mostly going to be riding in mud, I would just stick with a mud tire.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, but if you get stuck in the snow, you get stuck in the snow. Trust me I know by experience.... Having 4wd is a big help. I ride in snow all the time, especially when I go up north for bear season. The only trouble Ive ever had in snow was with my 1995 Yamaha Blaster (no figure) As long as you dont stop, snow isnt that bad at all, its when you let go of the throttle that you get into trouble. If you want them ONLY for snow, then I would say no, but if you plan on mudding and stuff anyway, if you can find a good deal on them, why not :smile:
Thanks for the Info..I agree.. I do pretty good with the stock tires now in snow, so I know that the zillas will be a big improvement. Both by tread and ground clearence. I'm mostly worried about any power loss issues.. About getting stuck, well that happens sometimes!!lol Isnt that why we buy winches??lol

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah go with what he said, hes much more scientific than i am :icon_wink: Im more of a "Look a snow pile, FLOOR IT!" kind of guy

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ME TOO I ride with others usualy, and we are always pulling eachother out of places we should not have gone!!lol If you are not getting stuck every now and then you are not riding!!:unsure:

·
Registered
137 Posts
ME TOO I ride with others usualy, and we are always pulling eachother out of places we should not have gone!!lol If you are not getting stuck every now and then you are not riding!!:unsure:
Exactly! I get stuck constantly, last time I got stuck its cause I smashed into a rock on my Kawi and put a huge dent in the rear axle....not exactly sure how I managed it but I ended up stuck on top of this huge rock unable to move it :funnykawie:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Exactly! I get stuck constantly, last time I got stuck its cause I smashed into a rock on my Kawi and put a huge dent in the rear axle....not exactly sure how I managed it but I ended up stuck on top of this huge rock unable to move it :funnykawie:
wow, been there.. Went on a long ride years ago with my 88 warrior, and totaly destroyed the rear end.. Had my buddy tow me back to camp (about 12 miles) Ironicaly The machine was a 500 suzuki, and I ended up buying it from him for my wife..lol

·
Registered
137 Posts
wow, been there.. Went on a long ride years ago with my 88 warrior, and totaly destroyed the rear end.. Had my buddy tow me back to camp (about 12 miles) Ironicaly The machine was a 500 suzuki, and I ended up buying it from him for my wife..lol
:rating08: Women and quads, now thats ironic :icon_ goofy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts