Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to the forum. I have a 2017 rancher 420. Did some trail riding this weekend with a group of guys and basically found out i would like some more ground clearance and better tires. What is the max height and correct rims to go along with. Been trying to research and getting a little confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,277 Posts
Welcome to the forum ------ I'm not a 420 guy , but I ride with a few, they run 28s with no gear reduction and do well , it does choke it down a bit ---------- as far ground clearance goes , if you up from 25s to 28s that is only 1 1/2 inches more ground clearance as you only get 1/2 of the 3 inches of bigger tires , but it is a game of inches and 1 1/2 is better than nada --------- as far as your rims would go , I think the 420 came IRS or straight axle , the rear rims are different between the two styles or rear axle , what do you have

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I have a straight axle, single shock also a manual transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m weighing in at 250 pounds and over 6ft. I just got into trail riding last year, mainly bought the 420 rancher for hunting trips. Getting into a little trail riding I noticed a little ground clearance, better tires and a stiffer shock adjustment front and back should nurse me along until I step up into a bigger quad one day.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
ranchers are geared higher than the larger honda 4x4's
so there is a more noticeable power loss as you go taller in tire size, all the more so since they pout the newer Ranchers on the full sized frames,
Ranchers used to be on smaller lighter frames!
you have to be honest with yourself when asking about taller heavier tires, as you are only gaining a 1/2 inch of ground clearance for every inch of tire you add.
and then keep in mind NOT all tires measure true to size, including stock OEM tires
so, IMO< best idea might be measure how tall your current tires are now, how much power do you think you can live with loosing? and go from there!

and also don't forget that even LARGER atv's work this way too, bigger motors just help them turn larger tires SOME what, , honda atv's are about 26-28 hp, in there 420-500 line of atv's
How much HOP do you think you can loose and be happy with?

other brand atv's of like sized motors have about 38-50 hp, so they have a little more wiggle room to add taller tires?
BUT there CVT systems are not as efficient at getting HP to the ground, so they loose some HP that way right off the get go too ?
ain't no perfect made atv YET IMO

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I put some 26's on my 420 from a 500. I also have 2 inch billet wheel spacers that I put on because it was top heavy with the 25's. It will go much faster with a noticeable power loss but it is still worth it to me. That extra half inch is noticeable. One thing many people don't think about is tire pressure. I usually run 3 to 3.5 psi for a smooth ride but 4 to 4.5 makes a huge difference in ground clearance.

·
Premium Member
12,277 Posts
26’s will be fine. I really noticed the extra inch of height I got out of it.
actually > you got one half (1/2) an inch extra clearance going from 25s to 26s
It is a game of inches , 1/2 can give you a better feel , some times it is a mind thing , keep believing and it becomes real , just like fake news these days > would guess the wife would be happy with 1/2 inch less clearance

·
Registered
109 Posts
26’s will be fine. I really noticed the extra inch of height I got out of it.
actually > you got one half (1/2) an inch extra clearance going from 25s to 26s
It is a game of inches , 1/2 can give you a better feel , some times it is a mind thing , keep believing and it becomes real , just like fake news these days > would guess the wife would be happy with 1/2 inch less clearance
Ranchers come stock with 24s so it would be a inch more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
billy5221
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing