Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question...I've got a 2001 Honda Rancher TX350FM that had a faulty solenoid. It would pull-start, but when using the electric starter it would only "click". Prior to replacing the solenoid, I started experiencing the master fuse (25A) blowing as soon as I'd put it in. The switch would be off, key removed, etc....pop! As soon as I'd put on in. At first, it wouldn't blow right away, I could turn on the lights, see the neutral light, etc. and even pull the rope a couple of times, but then it blew and continued to blow every time I'd replace it. I've been checking wires, etc., and can't find a short yet.

I was told that a bad rectifier/regulator would cause this...any thoughts before I order one?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Main fuse sounds like a short but unplug your rectifier and see if it still blows, just guessing but check the stator for a short.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,648 Posts
I got a 450 , very similar bike , I was blowing the main fuse as soon as it was installed , I found the problem by pulling the fuse and pushing the two leads of a meter into the two terminals in the fuse box , set the meter to ohms and started disconnecting plugs till the meter went to zero , it was the stater solenoid , which by the way was after market $5 e-bay junk , it must have shorted to ground inside the casing

·
Registered
599 Posts
I got a 450 , very similar bike , I was blowing the main fuse as soon as it was installed , I found the problem by pulling the fuse and pushing the two leads of a meter into the two terminals in the fuse box , set the meter to ohms and started disconnecting plugs till the meter went to zero , it was the stater solenoid , which by the way was after market $5 e-bay junk , it must have shorted to ground inside the casing
I assume you disconnected the battery before performing your diagnostics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts